Chapter 22

I lifted my head up and looked around tiredly, attempting to wipe the drowsiness from my eyes. Billie wasn't in the bed. I checked the time on my phone. It was only 5:43 in the morning so it was still a little dark outside. This was a rare occasion. Billie wasn't one to wake up early by choice. I looked out the window. Her car was gone. I guess she went on a drive. I wondered if Maggie was awake. I quietly opened the door and stepped into the hallway. Apparently, it wasn't quiet enough though because as soon I shut the door, Maggie quickly looked over at me. The dull amber glow of the street lights shining through the partially opened blinds casted orange and grey stripes onto the messy sheets of the pullout couch. It seemed like everybody was awake early because Patrick wasn't in bed either.

"Billie and Patrick went on a drive. Billie said she needed to talk to him."

I nodded and sat down at the table with her, slouching down in the cold wooden chair.

"You're welcome to make yourself some cereal, or I can make you something." She nodded towards the kitchen, scooting her cup of tea closer to her.

I laughed. "No, thank you. I'm not really hungry."

"Okay. Just tell me if you change your mind. You're more than welcome to anything in the kitchen."

I nodded, not completely paying attention to what she said. I wondered what Billie was talking to her dad about. I was so fucking nosey. I needed to stop.

-

"If you could go anywhere, where would you go?" Billie asked.

I laughed. "I'm not telling you."

"Why?"

"Because it's dumb."

"I don't care." She shrugged. "I just wanna know."

"Maine. To see the Portland Head Light."

"Why? What is that?"

"It's a lighthouse. I have a weird thing for lighthouses. I don't know."

"Brooms are weird." Billie's eyebrows knit together.

I stared up at the ceiling and sighed. "Collarbones are hot."

She let out a quiet giggle. "I am not a satanist. I do not worship the devil."

I bit my lip, shaking my head. "You're so weird."

She scoffed. "And what are you?"

"A perfectly normal being," I offered, biting back a smile.

She laughed loudly. "Yeah... right. Whatever you need to tell yourself, baby."

"I am!"

Her lips puckered as she sucked in her cheek. "Mm-hm."

"You're just salty because I'm normal and you're not."

"I'm not salty. I can't deal with your nonsense while I'm hungry."

"Then go get some food," I said in a duh tone.

She tilted her head back and forth, making a weird face as she mocked me in a stupid voice.

I thumped her head and slid off of the bed. "You're cute."

"And you'll be the death of me." She reached her hands out for me to pull her up and I obliged. "C'mon."

She opened the door and we walked into the living room.

"Christopher Waldrop, thirty, who was taken into custody on Monday and charged in the death of a three-year-old girl as a result of an investigation by authorities." A mugshot of Christopher popped up on the TV.