Chapter 1 ➛Golden Advice

I had never been able to understand. But, then again, why would I? I was merely a child that could not see why my parents didn't want me. It brought me a lot of insecurity and pain, to think that I was not good enough for them or that they didn't want me.

I had not lived a perfect life. But I survived the abuse, verbal and physical. And now, I was about to graduate Hogwarts and make my own choices about what to do with my life for once.

I still remembered the day that Professor Dumbledore came to the orphanage. He had been my only visitor during the entire stay. He got me out of there and brought me to Hogwarts, where I could learn magic.

I was most grateful for him. He saved me from the life I thought was impossible to escape, and helped me through my frequent periods of darkness. He felt more like a friend than a teacher. Mostly, because he seemed to understand what I was going through. Sadly, he was one of the few.

Now, I was making my way through the main entrance with all the other seventh years, leaving the castle at a slow pace.

I closed my eyes momentarily and heard the conversation I had had with Dumbledore echo through my mind.

''Please, Professor. Who are my parents?''

Before he could answer, I quickly added, ''I know you know.'' He had always denied he had any knowledge on the subject. I never bought it for a second.

He sighed and leaned against the desk, hands in his pockets. ''I know you're eager to find your parents now that you're leaving Hogwarts, but I want you to really think about this. About the consequences it might have.''

He closed his bag and started to walk away. I watched him go and could feel a subtle aching in my chest. This might be one of the last private conversations I was going to have with him. Therefore it felt like I was letting my final chance slip through my fingers.

I watched him reach for the doorknob until he suddenly paused and spun around. ''Looking forward is a good thing to do, but don't forget to look behind you, every once in a while,'' he said as his eyes twinkled and he smiled.

The door shut behind him and I frowned in frustration as I turned around to get my bag from the desk. But as I lifted it, a small, folded piece of parchment fell from the desk and on the floor.

I quickly picked it up as I scanned the room with a frown. Unfolding the parchment, I noticed there was something written on it.

''Naomie Peterson,'' I whispered under my breath. A grin spread across my face and I realized that Professor Dumbledore had, nevertheless, decided to give me a head start.

I smiled as I felt the note in my pocket. I had a lead to whom my mother was. All I had to do now was find her.

I threw a sideways glance to Robert, my best friend, and squeezed his hand gently to catch his attention.

''I know my mother's name,'' I whispered, so only he could hear it.

He stared at me, his mouth agape. ''How?''

I smiled. ''I'll explain everything when we're on the train. Will you help me find her?'' I asked him hopefully. He seemed to hesitate before he nodded. ''Definitely. I'll always help you,'' he said with a smile as he squeezed my hand in return.

Once we were seated in the train, I started explaining what had happened in Dumbledore's office. He was aware that I was trying to find my parents. He was grinning at the end. ''Dumbledore might not be as much of an ass as I initially thought,'' he said.

After Dumbledore had denied telling me anything for the hundredth time, Robert had called him names because he found it unacceptable that he would keep such information from me.

I smiled at him, but looked out the window with a frown. Robert rambled on for a minute, but my mind had already started drifting.

I was ripped from my thoughts as he suddenly fell silent. ''What's the matter? Haven't you been waiting for this, for like, your whole life?'' he asked as he raised an eyebrow.

I sighed and turned to him. ''I did, but Dumbledore said he wasn't allowed to say anything. What does that mean?''

Robert shrugged. ''It's probably just something the orphanage asked him to do. Don't worry about it too much,'' he said as he sat down beside me and squeezed my hand. ''We're finally going to discover who your parents are!'' he said excitedly as an attempt to lift my spirits. ''Thanks, Bobby,'' I laughed.

''Besides. How can they not be great, they made you,'' he said with a content smile. ''Even though your hair's a little weird.'' he ruffled my short, platinum blonde hair and grinned at me. ''Leave my hair alone, it can't help but be white,'' I said as I slapped his hand away. We laughed and in that moment, I forgot my worries and sorrows. But if I had known what awaited me, I would never have guessed the surprises that the world held in store for me.