Chapter 6 ➛Take Me Back

The room was packed with people, seemingly all coming to hear what Grindelwald had to say. I was looking around, anxious if there might be any Aurors who were focusing on me.

I felt a lump forming in my throat and I was starting to feel a little nauseous. I was about to see my father. My actual father. The man that brought me into this world.

I swallowed and pulled at my collar to ventilate. ''Are you alrigh', little lady?'' Tom asked as he watched me concerned. I had found out that the name of the man who had first spoken to me at the Leaky Cauldron was called Tom. His friend's name was John.

I smiled up at him and nodded. ''Fine.''

''First time is always a little scary. The way he's put in the news makes him seem like a horrible person,'' John said with a smile. ''Don't worry. It'll all be fine.''

Neither of them were aware of the actual reasons I was nervous. Nevertheless, I returned the smile before I started looking around once more. And to my ultimate horror, I noticed a pack of people entering, following the one and only 'Anne' from the cemetery.

Her eyes were glistening in the soft light, and I felt a wave of nausea coming over me. I watched them, trying to hide behind people and seeing if they happened to notice me. If they did, I was in great trouble.

Suddenly, the crazy blonde woman said something to the others before she left them and started walking through the rows, moving closer to me. I didn't know if she was heading for me, or if she was just finding a spot to stand in the crowd, but I did know that I should move away either way.

I started making my way to the path closest to me. ''Where are you going?'' Tom asked me softly as he watched me confused. ''I'm just going down a few rows,'' I replied with a quick smile. Then I walked down several rows before I found a spot in the third row.

I was looking around and spotted Anne standing close to Tom and John. I let out a breath of relief before realizing that suddenly people started clapping.

I looked forward and realized there was a figure moving toward the stage

My gut twisted as I watched him move up the stairs to the middle of the room. The first thing I noticed was his bright platinum-blonde hair.

I slowly raised a hand to touch my own hair as I watched him move.

When he was standing in the middle, he extended his arms and the applause grew even louder.

And when he lowered them again, the applause died away and he started speaking.

His voice sounded different than I had expected. It was somewhat...softer.

''My brothers, my sisters, my friends. The great gift of your applause is not for me, no. It's for yourselves.'' I watched him suspiciously as he started walking around the stage.

''You came today because of a craving and the knowledge that the old ways serve us no longer. You came today because you crave something new, something different.'' He paused. I had been looking around to check if the Aurors were still where they had been before, but when he paused I returned my gaze toward him and felt my heart stop when I looked directly into his eyes.

I held his gaze as I gasped quietly. We had a connection. One that I was certain he must be feeling too.

Then he turned away and I seemed to regain my ability to breathe. Then he continued, ''It is said that I hate the non-magique, the Muggle, the no-maj, the can't-spell! I do not hate them, I do not.''

He paced away, looking around at his followers. ''For I do not fight out of hatred. I say the Muggles are not lesser, but other. Not worthless,'' he raised a finger to empathise his point. ''but of other value. Not disposable, but of a different disposition.''