Chapter 7 ➛Hope For The Hopeless

We arrived in front of an enormous castle. He led me inside and to a room on the third floor without as much saying a word.

"This will be your room. Dinner is at 6 P.M, I expect you to be there," he said as he opened the door for me.

I was tightly holding Robert in my arms and looked at Grindelwald a little taken aback. "What about Robert? I don't know what happened to him, I can't help him," I said to him as I held the raven tightly against me.

"I have no time at the moment, besides I know just as little as you. You may visit the infirmary if you like. It's on the first floor. Ask around a little and you'll find it."

I watched him with a frown. "I have to go now." Then he turned around and with not as much as a word, as he hurried away down the corridor and disappeared behind the corner.

My mouth hung open as I watched him go. Was he really that arrogant? I was starting to wonder if I should tell him that the person he had just invited to join his cause, was his daughter.

I sped toward the first floor, looking for someone to ask for directions. Despite the urgency of the situation, my mind was mostly preoccupied with Grindelwald and his behaviour. Had he really been busy or was it one of those excuses people used to evade your company?

Once I finally came across another person, I didn't notice them at first and almost ran into them. ''Are you all right, madam?'' a soft voice asked as she watched me with concern. I looked at her and realized it was the woman who had brought Grindelwald his skull-hookah.

''Where's the infirmary?'' My voice was almost a whisper and only barely audible. I had no idea what was happening to me, and it didn't feel good. It was all too much, too many thoughts and questions that remained unanswered.

She smiled gently before placing a hand on my shoulder and walking me down the long corridor until we could see a set of big double doors. ''It's through there,'' she said. And it was only when she spoke that I realized she was french.

''Thank you,'' I said quickly as I hurried toward it, hoping the medical person in there might enlighten me on what happened to my friend.

It had been quite strange at the infirmary and my head was filled with new questions and explanations I had to wrap my head around.

Once at dinner, I didn't say a word. Not that anyone did, but I didn't notice it, I was too preoccupied.

At first sight, the nurse had tried to get me to leave, since she was 'too busy' to tend to animals. From that moment on I didn't like her, because all the beds in the infirmary were empty, except for one.

''It's not like that, it's my friend. He's an animagus, please.''

At that point, she seemed torn between helping me or sending me away once more. Fortunately for me, she decided to take a look, and as I described the situation she looked at me tiredly.

''He's cursed,'' she said as she looked at me. She had dark circles under her eyes and I felt a wave of guilt come over me. She looked like she hadn't had any sleep for the past few days.

''He won't be able to return to his human form. He's stuck like this until, either, the person who cursed him will die, or if they break the curse themselves, which sounds rather unlikely to me.''

I watched her, eyes wide. ''He shouldn't have come,'' I said through gritted teeth. I didn't understand, however, why Anne had cursed him. What her motive had been? Robert was one of them.

I felt anger bubbling up inside of me as I pricked in my vegetables, rolling them over now and again.

''When will he wake up?'' I had asked as I returned my attention to the nurse. ''That's hard to say. It could be an hour, a day maybe even a week. You should have patience,'' she said. And before I could reply, she was already making her way back to her office.