Chapter 15 ➛Childish Fears

My breathing was shallow as I watched him study the article, before returning his gaze to me. And at that moment, I saw something I wished I would never see in his eyes. Fear. 

He seemed collected on the outside, but the uncertainty in his eyes gave away what he truly felt.

 A heavy silence hung in the air as I watched him unsure. He seemed at a loss of words which astounded me. He always knew what to say or what to do and the fact that he didn't, freaked me out.

''Are you all right?'' I asked, hoping it would start up a conversation and break the uncomfortable silence. He frowned and looked at me. ''That little bitch,'' he muttered as he stared at me, fury glinting in his eyes. 

I was shocked by his sudden change in temper as he stood up, bowing over the desk. ''How dare she do this,'' he said to himself as he glared at the paper as if it was Lillian herself. I swallowed and said, ''Maybe it's not that bad?'' I tried with a subtle glint of hope in my voice. 

He remained silent, ignoring my comment. My heart started thumping as I watched him standing there, seemingly unable to contain his emotions for once. 

A lump was forming in my throat as I watched him. He seemed to have lost his cool or smug ways. ''Now everything is ruined!'' he yelled as he threw the paper away, his brows furrowed in rage. 

At those words, anger started rooting in my chest. ''Why?'' I asked him irritatedly. Whatever reasons he had for not wanting anyone to know I was his daughter, made me feel degraded and unwanted. 

If I would be finding out that after everything I had been through and after finally finding my father, I was unwanted by him, that he was ashamed of me, I would leave everything and go. I wouldn't need him. If that was the truth, I didn't want him. 

He remained silent but his head did raise slightly so he could look at me. ''Why can't anyone know?'' I asked him, a little more forcefully now. I wanted answers. I wanted to let him know that if he'd say the wrong thing, I would be walking straight out the door. He must have a reason I won't like, otherwise, he wouldn't have so much trouble saying it. 

So, instead of waiting for him to start, I said, ''Is it because of your precious reputation?'' I asked, my voice rising slightly. He remained silent, looking at me with empty eyes. ''Or is it because of your power? Are you afraid you'll be looking like a normal person?''

''Because that would be terrible,'' I said sarcastically. He opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off. ''Or maybe it's because you are afraid to have a weakness that people are aware of?'' 

He stood up, and I watched him momentarily. My anger only grew as he made his way around the desk and stood in front of it, looking down at me and shaking his head slowly. ''Then why? Why is this so bad for you?'' I asked him, yelling. ''Because...''

He couldn't do it. His inability to say it out loud only fueled my rage. ''What! Say it! It is because you don't want to be associated with me!'' I yelled.

He watched me confusedly and said, ''No, that's not...'' But I cut him off once more. ''It's because you're ashamed of me. It's because you would rather not have me exist. After all, it would be easier. For you, for your movement, for your life. Isn't that why you gave up mom?'' I was assuming things, but in my mind, this was the only explanation. 

''No,'' he said calmly. My face twitched at his lack of emotion and my anger exploded. ''Then why!" 

This seemed to be the last drop for him. He slammed his fist on the desk and shouted, ''To protect you, dammit!''

I faltered and stepped back as a reflex and felt my anger draining away as I watched him shocked. ''What..'' My confusion was clear and he looked at me, for the first time during that conversation we made eye-contact.