Chapter 21 ➛Ghosts From the Past

Alyx and I had gone to our chambers to get ready for the journey, however, what she didn't know, was that she would not stay with me after our first destination. At least, that's what I hoped. I did not want to drag her into my problems. Especially not if they could cost her her life.

We went about the room in silence. I glanced at her now and again, but she never seemed interested in returning them. So instead I took my cloak and fastened it around my shoulders.

Robert had been sitting on the foot end of the bed, watching us curiously. As I sat next to him, he looked up at me questioningly and picked my cloak. ''We're going away for a little while,'' I said softly.

His eyes remained glued to mine until he suddenly started flapping his wings and settled on my shoulder. ''No,'' I stated as I watched him sternly. ''You're not coming with us.''

His beady black eyes turned to me and he picked my ear and started croaking. He spread his wings and started soaring through the room. ''I know you can fly when there's danger, but I don't know where we'll end up and if there are creatures there that could hurt you.''

Our gazes locked momentarily before he croaked again, and returned to my shoulder. I rolled my eyes and straightened, looking at Alyx who had still turned her back to me.

I hated this tension between us and wished nothing more than to break it. However, I was also aware of the anger that was still in her system. So maybe it would be better to wait a little while.

As I watched her, she spun around and took her bag as shes walked out of the room. She seemed a little too dramatic for my liking, but I supposed that it would be over soon.

Robert and I sent each other a glance before I, too, got up and walked out the room, walking after her. ''Where are we going?'' she asked as she suddenly turned around on the spot, causing me to almost bump into her.

She remained standing, watching em seriously as I regained my composure. ''I'll explain in the woods,'' I said as I smiled a little. I saw in her eyes she wanted to smile back but didn't. A grin broke on my face as I lead the way to the front gate.

The sun had started its descend about an hour ago, now all there was left was a faint light shade on the horizon. Stars had started popping up in the sky, and they reminded me of the night at the manor. And how I had stared up at the sky before the rally, reminding myself of all the good things that had happened since graduation.

And the sudden realization hit me that this quest, this journey could give me everything or take everything. And that thought was the only thing that had made me hesitate since the beginning.

However, the hesitation was short-lived, because it had vanished before I could take another breath.

Alyx stopped and stood, staring at the gate in front of her, waiting for me to catch up before saying, ''You're really going to do this?'' and turned to me.

I returned the gaze and nodded confidently. ''I have to know,'' I said, my voice barely a whisper.

And that's how our journey began.

The conversations I had with Alyx on our way into the forest were only on important business. I knew she was still angry with me, despite my apologies, which annoyed me to a certain point. But I knew this was not the time to fight, which would certainly make her even angrier with me.

So, for both our sakes I held it in and, ignoring the tension, pushed through by telling her my plans. ''My father will not like it, but if I want to find my mother, it's the only way.''