Chapter 3 ➛Ties of Family

''(Y/N)?''

Robert was waving a hand in front of my eyes. ''(Y/N), are you OK?'' he asked, as he manoeuvred around me to look me in my eyes. Only then, he managed to pull me from the trance I had been in.

I shook my head in an attempt to clear it. ''Sorry?'' I said, as I slowly focused on his face, frowning. I tried to look over his shoulder at the alley where I thought I had just seen Grindelwald. ''Is something wrong?'' he asked as he caught my gaze once more.

''Didn't you see him?'' I asked him softly, as I took a step back. ''I mean, he's quite hard to miss,'' I stated as I, once more, glanced at the alley. ''Who? What are you talking about?'' Robert asked, his voice now sounding anxious and worried.

I looked at him, finally feeling my thoughts sorting themselves out. ''Never mind. I must've imagined it,'' I said swiftly. I smiled at him when his expression didn't change and waved the file case in front of his eyes. ''We did it. We finally have information,'' I said as I took his arm and dragged him to an alley so we could disapparate.

Despite the little play I put on for Robert, as not to worry him, I wondered if what I had seen had not been a figment of my imagination. If, maybe, just maybe, I had just sighted the most wanted, and probably, the most dangerous wizard in the entire world.

Grindelwald's P.O.V (Third Person)

The cold air hit his cheeks as he appeared in the middle of the forest. His feet sunk a few millimetres into the crunching snow beneath, making his feet feel cold even through his boots. His breath formed little clouds of condensing as he breathed in and out.

He still saw her in his mind's eye. He could still feel that strange connection he suddenly felt when her eyes met his. And she. She seemed to see right through his disguise like it was nothing.

Had he all imagined it? Or was there something about this girl that he seemed unable to comprehend or foresee?

He sat down on a rock near the frozen lake and watched the subtle cracks in its surface. The wind blew through his short, platinum blonde hair, ruffling it.

Her face seemed familiar to him. Her eyes. As if he'd seen them before. And her hair. She had the same hair like him, which was something he found strange. He had never seen anyone before with the same hair colour as himself. She had even mumbled his name, for heaven's sake!

He shook his head and rubbed his eyes. ''Surely it was nothing more than a coincidence,'' he told himself as he stood and stared at the shining lake. Or was it?

He frowned, let out a yell and grabbed his wand, sending a flash of bright red light into the lake, piercing the ice with a loud, convincing crack, before watching it melt away around the edge where his spell had hit.

He swallowed, relaxed his expression and started striding away, disapparating as he went, returning to his lair, leaving behind the broken surface of a once beautiful sight.

(Y/N)'s P.O.V

Once we were seated at the dinner table, I carefully opened the file, feeling the nerves and excitement returning. For now, I had decided to ignore the encounter with Grindelwald and thought it better to leave it as it was and first find my parents.

I wasn't even sure it had been him. It could've been my imagination, my mind conjuring up strange sights because of everything that was going on in my head.

Robert and I sat opposite each other, the file resting on the table in between us. ''This is it. This is the moment I've been waiting for for years,'' I smiled and Robert grinned in return. ''So why wait, come on, open it!'' he said as he impatiently nudged the files toward me.