Chapter 12 ➛Bad Dreams

Grindelwald's P.O.V (Third Person)

He might not be certain how to raise a child, but he did know you needed him right now and he would not let you fall. He would not let you slip through his fingers as Naomie had.

Night had fallen once they finally left Nurmengard, heading for the Ministry disguised by magic. They didn't have a solid plan, but Grindelwald didn't need it. He'd go with his instincts in this case. Besides, there was no time to come up with a plan.

A knot had formed in his stomach, which he chose to ignore. However, the flashbacks that returned every so often of Naomie's death he was unable to unsee. They were branded in his memory and resurfacing now.

You were her daughter. His daughter. You might be the last thing on this earth related to her, besides the wicked bitch.

His mind was set on what he wanted. And that woman would not keep it from him. Not if he could help it.

They were striding through the woods, leaving the grounds as to disapparate and enter the Ministry unseen. It had not been the first time he had done so. He had been in disguise, working for them. Living amongst them.

A grin came to his lips at their foolishness. Even Lillian had been too blind to see, and the look on her face when he visited him that one time. The astonishment and disbelief. It had been sweet. Sweeter than anything.

He was walking up front, ahead of everyone else. And as he passed through the protective charms, he spun around and watched the men that accompanied him halt and wait in anticipation.

''You are all aware of the plan?'' It wasn't a solid plan. And if things would go wrong, there was no backup plan. This was a race against time.

''Listen to me carefully, they probably expect us to come so be prepared for a fight, don't act suspicious. If you do and the Ministry doesn't kill you, I will,'' he warned them dangerously.

They watched him stoically but the anxiety in their eyes was obvious. He watched them one by one until his face transfigurated and he took on the form of a regular day-to-day person.

Then he turned and without another word he disapparated, having only one goal in mind and determined to get back what belonged to him.

(Y/N)'s P.O.V

At first, it was only pain that pierced the numbness of my mind, but slowly my sight and hearing returned to me too. There were mutters. Soft but urgent mutters from behind me. They were muffled, and there was no way I was able to make out what they were saying.

My body was sore and every time I moved I felt a fresh wave of pain overwhelming my exhausted body. Suddenly voices were raised and there was the sound of a loud slap.

I felt alarmed but was unable to act on it. Then the voices died away and there was the dying sound of clacking heels. Then the heavy metal door behind me opened and there were soft footsteps.

Fortunately, I didn't recognize them, which meant it was not Lillian. And as I raised my head to look up at their face I saw someone I had never met before.

It was a man with broad shoulders and a stern face. However, as he looked at me, was it...sympathy, I saw in his eyes?

Our gazes locked momentarily before he kneeled, knowing the trouble I had with looking up from where I was seated and the pain I was experiencing from Lillian's torture.

''What has she done to you,'' he said as he examined my face, his eyes resting on the big gash on my cheek. ''She's crazy,'' he muttered as he shook his head.