Chapter 20 ➛Shadows of Doubt

Neither of us said a word on our way to his office. His stride had picked up the pace and I was having difficulty catching up with him. But once I did, I quickly fell back again. His expression might've betrayed nothing, but his eyes seemed ablaze with anger.

I felt a hollowness form in the pit of my stomach. I didn't know what I had done wrong but I had a feeling it had to do with what had happened at the rally.

Anxiety filled my chest as the door swung open with a flick of his hand and he waited for me to enter before doing so himself and slamming it shut behind his back.

I waited in the middle of the room for him to make a move and give me an idea of how I should react to this. But he kept silent and sat down behind his desk, calmly, but sternly motioning for the chair opposite him.

I shook my head and pushed it out of the way. ''I'd rather stand,'' I said as I watched him hardly. Somehow, he had triggered my defences and I would not do what he'd say, not even if it might set off his anger. However, all he did was glare and watch me as a tense silence fell.

His eyes were cast down on the parchment and books lying on his desk as he asked, softly but dangerously, ''Did you tell anyone about the location of the rally?''

Suddenly it all clicked. Of course, it was about the attack. He thought it was my fault because I must've told someone. Which wasn't untrue.

I swallowed and opened my mouth to speak, but he cut me off as his eyes found their way back to mine. Instead of holding his gaze, I looked away. ''Who,'' he asked, as he watched me intently, his eyes locked on my face as I scraped up the courage to say it.

I sighed and finally looked up at him, straight into his eyes. ''Alyx.'' I immediately saw his face darken and he threw his head back in annoyance. ''But she would never do that!'' I quickly defended.

As he lifted his face to look at me, I felt a rush of anxiety at the way he watched me. ''Do you have any idea how much trouble the Ministry would go through just to plant a spy in our midst? She could be working for them. She could be the spy,'' he said, his teeth gritted.

''She would never do that,'' I repeated, my voice receiving an edge of anger. ''Dammit, (Y/N)! Have you listened to anything I just said?'' He yelled as he stood up from his chair and slammed the desk with his fists. ''She could be faking just to get information out of you!''

His words had stung. Alyx wouldn't be faking our relationship, would she? My gaze remained trained on the ground as silence fell. What if she was? What was I going to do then?

He took a few breaths, as I watched him, brows furrowed in anger as he rubbed the back of his neck tiredly. ''You almost died, again, which wouldn't have happened if you'd just listened to me,'' he said, his voice steady as he glanced up at me. ''I might not be the best at creating and nurturing relationships, but I'm not a fool, I know how to protect you, but that requires your cooperation.''

He sighed and watched me. ''We'll continue this conversation later, but I won't share any valuable information with you anymore until we have this cleared up,'' he said as he walked around his desk, heading for the door.

He held it open for me, but I remained rooted to the spot where I had been standing the entire time.

It had been on my mind since he came striding through the infirmary. I wanted to share my experience with him as quickly as possible so we might set out to find her.

''I met her,'' I blurted out. He was watching me blankly in return as his hand dropped to his side. ''Who?''

Our eyes locked and I saw the confusion in his. ''Naomie,'' I said, followed by a swallow as I continued, ''My mother.''