16: "What's a Soulmate?"

[Set about three months after the events of CoG. Also, this was written months before the release of the second movie.]

"What's a soulmate?" That was the question that surprised everyone around the dining table in the grand dining room of the Scamander residence.

3-year old Ada Grace Haywood, the Scamanders' neighbor's daughter who was staying with them for the night, looked at her Uncle Newt with a very expectant look in her eyes.

Newt gulped. Everyone's eyes were on him now, right after those three words escaped the little girl's mouth. Where on earth did that girl get the idea from?

Newt cleared his throat. "Uhm..." Newt rattled his brain to find the perfect words to put his answer in - words that were light enough for the girl to understand. He glanced around the table for help only to receive:

A shook of the head from Theseus.

An encouraging nod from Leta, his now sister-in-law.

And a glare from his mother, Abigail Scamander.

Newt sighed, seeing there is no way out of this. He faced the girl and smiled. "It's a..." he began, still finding the words to say.

Ada stared at Newt excitedly. Newt smile and continued, "Well, it's like a best friend, but more. It's the one person in the world that knows you better than anyone else."

Ada giggled, making him smile more. In the corner of his eye, Newt could see Leta, Theseus and his mother smile as well. He nodded and continued once more.

"It's someone who makes you a better person." Newt suddenly chuckled, thinking over what he just said. "Actually, they don't make you a better person, you do that yourself because they inspire you." He tapped the tip of her nose with a smile.

He sighed. "A soulmate is someone who you carry with you forever. It's the one person who knew you and accepted you and believed in you before anyone else did or when no one else would.

"And no matter what happens, you'll always love her. Nothing can ever change that. Make sense?" Ada nodded with her little mouth slightly agape. Newt smiled.

As he went back to eating his dinner, his mind suddenly went somewhere - somewhere he hadn't thought of going over. For two years, he'd never dared to think about things like that. But after his little explanation to Ada, his mind started to change.

Actually, they don't make you a better person, you can do that yourself because they inspire you. Inspire. Who does inspire Newt most of the time? Well, if he were not to be honest about his feelings, he'd immediately say his family. But if he were to be honest, he'd say...

Wait, who would he say? Then, his mind suddenly pictured a beautiful witch with brown eyes, brunette hair, beautiful fair skin, and a smile that could make the sun, moon, and stars jealous. Newt felt himself smile.

But it soon disappeared and he shook his head. No, he thought. She'd never feel the same way.

Porpentina Goldstein. That one American witch that just couldn't leave his mind. That wonderful, beautiful, and lovely witch. Why did she even have to walk into his life?

Well, if she didn't, your life would be really boring right now, a voice said in his head. Newt chuckled inwardly. Well, that's true.

And no matter what happens, you'll always love her. Nothing can ever change that. Does he really love her?

Tina...is one of the most complex women he's ever met. She could be strong at times but there are also moments where she's vulnerable and hurt that you just can't seem to approach her. Just like that time three months ago...