50: Sweet Dreams

Tina awoke to something prodding her side. It was nighttime at Dorset, somewhere around midnight, so Tina wondered, What the hell? Turning over, she reached out and turned on the lamp on her bedside table. Rubbing her eyes groggily, she was met with a pair of wide blue eyes, a mop of dark hair, and freckles. Tina blinked until her vision cleared.

"R-Rohan?" Tina mumbled sleepily, staring at her youngest son who stood at her bedside. She yawned, stretching. She cast a glance over her shoulder to see if she'd awaken Newt. Her husband lay fast asleep, his back to her. Turning to her son, she asked quietly, "Ro, what are you doing up?"

3-year-old Rohan sniffled, rubbing his left eye. Tina frowned. Was he crying? she thought. More sniffling confirmed her suspicions. Quickly, but carefully as to not wake her husband, Tina sat up. She opened her arms to her youngest and beckoned him over. The toddler promptly climbed onto the bed and sat on Tina's lap, facing her.

Through the light of the lamp, Tina could make out tearstains on Rohan's chubby cheeks. Then, Rohan let out a hiccup and more tears fell from his eyes. Tina immediately cupped his cheeks and wiped the tears away while murmuring soothing words.

"Hey, hey," Tina soothed. "What's wrong? Why are you crying, baby?"

Rohan's bottom lip trembled as a whimper escaped his lips. "B-bad dream...bad dream, momma," he blubbered. Tears continued to flow from his eyes. Tina quickly moved to wipe them away.

"Shh...shh," she whispered, dropping a kiss on his little head. "It's alright, momma's here..."

"Papa?" Rohan asked tearfully.

"Papa's asleep, sweetheart."

"No, no," someone groaned beside Tina. She looked to her left and saw Newt sitting, yawning. "I'm awake." He rubbed the sleep away from his eyes. After letting out another yawn, he looked at his son worriedly.

"Rohan?" he puzzled. "Why are you awake, my little niffler?"

Tina leaned over to whisper, "He had a nightmare."

Newt sat up straighter at the information Tina had told him. He nodded understandingly with a sad smile gracing his lips. He patted his knee, urging Rohan to come over to him. The little toddler crawled over to his father and nestled himself in his lap. Newt wrapped his arms around him and began rocking him gently.

Tina leaned into Rohan. "Do you want to sleep with us tonight, darling?" she asked, stroking his head lovingly. The dark-haired boy nodded softly. Tina smiled. "Alright then."

Newt and Tina shifted apart to make room for little Rohan between them. The 3-year-old crawled into the space between them and laid down. Once sure he was comfortable, Newt and Tina slowly laid back, both facing their son. They draped an arm around their youngest and pecked his forehead. Sharing a small smile, Newt and Tina rested their heads on their pillows and drifted off to sleep.

It wasn't a few minutes later when the sleeping trio was woken up by the bedroom door slamming open. Tina quickly shot up, flicked the lamp on, and grabbed her wand from her bedside table while Newt cradled a very surprised Rohan in his arms, his wand also out and ready.

Then, two figures emerged from the door: a blue-eyed boy and a brown-eyed girl, both having reddish-brown hair and adorable freckles, just like their younger brother. The two children darted towards their parents' bed and threw themselves into their arms, crying, "Mummy! Daddy!"

Newt fell back with an "oomph!" while Rohan squealed, nearly being crushed by his older brother.

"Willow! Dorian!" Tina gasped, almost falling back against the headboard from the weight of her 6-year-old daughter.