17: "Would You Like to Stay Forever?"

It was all over. Just like that.

They were long gone now, probably somewhere else, and Newt knew they had to find them again.

Newt Scamander, all bloodied up and bruised from head to toe, managed to glance at the remaining people around him: his brother Theseus and Leta Lestrange locked in a tight embrace; Jacob slumped against a nearby pillar; Credence and Nagini on the other side...and...

Tina.

She was just standing a few feet away from him, staring blankly at the spot where her very own sister, Queenie, had disappeared with him. Newt watched her carefully for a few more seconds before finally realizing that she was about to break down. As fast as he could, he dashed over to her to catch her just in time. They both sank to the ground, still clinging onto each other.

Tina clung to him like he was her lifeline. Newt hugged her close, running his hand up and down her back soothingly, an attempt to calm her down. Tina, in response, only buried her face into his chest. Her body trembled as she cried into his chest. Newt couldn't blame her though...

She has just watched her sister, her only family left, disappear with the evilest and powerful wizard to have ever existed. Of course she would feel this way.

Newt sighed. He buried his nose into her hair and breathed in her scent. He was happy - happy that he had finally found her after two years of desperately trying to get back to her. But right now wasn't the right time to rejoice.

It was the right time to have something to eat.

Newt closed his eyes and apparated, disappearing with a distinctive crack. And when he opened his eyes, he wasn't in the wrecked graveyard anymore, but at the familiar feeling of his home. His family's home.

Newt looked around for a bit. He concluded that his mother was either away or just outside. But, either way, they needed some rest. Behind him, three cracks resonated, signaling new arrivals (probably Theseus, Leta, Credence, Nagini, and Jacob). Newt looked back at them and nodded.

They all limped to the common room of the mansion. Upon entering, Jacob collapsed unto the first couch he had laid his eyes on. Theseus and Leta took the one beside Jacob's while Nagini and Credence just sat on the floor and leaned against Jacob's couch. Newt guided Tina over to the last remaining couch which was across Theseus and Leta's.

The seven of them sat in complete silence. Until Theseus broke it after a few minutes.

"I'll see what there is to eat. I know that we're all starving as hell and we need to eat something," he declared, standing up.

"I'll come with you," Leta volunteered, standing up after him.

After the couple left, the remaining three followed shortly after, leaving Newt alone with Tina, who has now calmed down. Newt looked down at her.

"Tina..." he whispered. The woman he had been so desperate to find looked up at the sound of her name, her brown eyes wide and hurt.

"Newt..." she breathed. Her voice cracked and Newt's heart broke upon hearing it. She was so hurt. If there was only something that he could do to stop it.

Just be with her, a voice in his head said.

Instead of saying anything, Newt just pulled her back into a hug. She cried again. "It's going to be okay..." Newt consoled.

Tina shook her head. "She's gone, Newt. She's with him! How is anything gonna be okay?" she snapped angrily.

Newt winced at the tone of her voice but just shrugged it off and tightened his hold on her. They remained silent in the next few minutes, with Newt rocking Tina in his arms until she clams down. More and more minutes passed until the sound of their dear friend Jacob broke their solemn silence.

"Newt! Miss Tina! Dinner's ready!"

Both of them looked up. They both looked up so quickly that they bumped their heads against each other.

"Ow!" they both cried, followed by a longing gaze at each other.

Newt studied her face. Tears were still there and the pain was still evident. It broke his heart to see her like this. Oh Tina, my dearest, he thought, I will promise to protect you from this day forth...only if I had the guts to tell you how I really feel...

All of a sudden, a feeling rushed through Newt. A feeling that made him...bold. Studying her face for a moment, Newt searched for something. He didn't know what it was he was looking for, but whatever it was, it wasn't there. Sighing, he quickly leaned in and kissed her on the forehead.

He felt her tense under his lips. His lips lingered for a while before pulling back. He stared at her again. Her face was in total shock from what he just did, though there was no anger anywhere on her pretty little face which made Newt sigh with relief.

But, still, he was afraid something might change after his bold gesture.

Newt waited for a response from the brown-haired woman. Nothing. Sighing, Newt finally stood up to head to the dining room but something pulled him back. He felt a hand grasp his left coat sleeve and tugged him back.

Tina.

Newt turned around to see what was wrong. When he did, he saw Tina, still holding onto his sleeve, head down. Worry bubbled up inside him.

"Tina?" he whispered, "Is something wrong?" Newt raised his hand to cup her cheek but stopped when she suddenly looked up.

Brown orbs met green ones.

A smile was gracing her lips as they stared at each other. Newt felt his own lips curl into a small, shy smile. Everything was nice at this moment. Until Tina suddenly grabbed his face in both hands and pressed her lips to his.

It was now Newt's turn to be shocked.

The kiss was soft and shy. It wasn't awkward at all, as Newt had imagined all first kisses would be. In fact, this isn't how he imagined himself kissing her would be. Truth be told, this was even better than he had expected.

Slowly, the shock wore off and Newt wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer against his chest. Her hands slide down from the sides of his face onto the bare skin of his neck. Newt tilted his head to deepen the kiss, earning a contented sigh from her.

They moved in sync, relishing the moment. Everything was perfect, even in the midst of war.

That is...until someone decided to ruin it.

Someone who goes by the name Theseus Scamander.

"Well, finally," Theseus' voice resonated from the dining room entrance, causing the couple to break away from the kiss.

Newt realized that have an audience: Jacob, Theseus and Leta (who were smirking), Nagini (who was smiling widely), and Credence (who looked on with childlike curiosity). Seeing them made him blush.

Tina, on the other hand, buried her face into his neck.

"Do you mind?" Newt snapped, glaring at his brother. Theseus merely chuckled and led the others back into the dining room, but not without a teasing, "You lovebirds better make it quick! Supper's getting cold."

Once they were gone, Newt looked back at Tina whose face was still buried in his neck but was smiling.

Tina pulled back to give him another warm smile. "Thank you," she said.

"You're welcome, love," Newt replied. He leaned in and kissed her cheek, causing her to blush.

"Would you like to stay for dinner?" Newt asked.

Tina giggled and opened her mouth to answer but Theseus, annoyingly, cut her off with a, "Do you want to stay forever?" from the dining room.

Newt glared at his brother from the living room. Tina giggled at this little exchange and leaned in to kiss him on the cheek. When she pulled back, she said, "Dinner would be lovely."

Newt grinned and took her hand in his, and together walked to the dining room to join their newfound family for a nice bite.

[Edited and Re-uploaded: July 21, 2020]