51: Whatever It Takes, I Will Stay Here With You

"Tina?"

"Yes?"

"Are you...are you alright?"

She smiles ruefully. Tilting her head to look at him, she says, "Are you sure that's the question you want to ask?"

Newt shifts awkwardly beside her, suddenly embarrassed. She's right, he thinks, the answer's bloody obvious, Newt! "Uh—I....well..." Newt fixates his eyes on the vast expanse of the kelpie lake before them, rambling his apologies.

Tina giggles into her hand. "Newt," she starts, placing a gentle hand on his. It shuts him up, makes him tense under her touch. "Newt," she repeats, more firmly than the first. "Look at me."

He does so, shakily, slowly. He is met with a small smile from the woman beside him. There were tearstains on her cheeks, tainting her beautiful face from her. Newt feels the urge to wipe them away, but he doesn't. Instead, he looks into her dark eyes.

Like fire in dark water.

"It's alright, Newt," Tina assures him, gripping his hand. "I'll be alright..."

Newt nods, turning his hand over to interlace their fingers. He stares at their joined hands and sighs. This peacefulness that they're experiencing now...the silence, the calmness...how he wished for them to be like this every day. But, such a wish wasn't impossible with the future events looming over the horizon.

War is coming, he knows it. She knows it. They all know it.

Looking up to her eyes again, he pulls his hand from hers. Tina stares at him, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. She opens her mouth to say something but stops when Newt wraps an arm around her shoulders. He gives her a slight push, then pauses, hoping that she gets what he was implying.

She does. Tina slides closer, lessening the space between them, and leans her head into his neck. Newt adjusts his arm on her shoulder before taking her left hand with his other ad interlaces them again. He presses his cheek against her hair, breathing in her scent.

They both sigh contentedly, enjoying the peaceful aura the basement lake offered.

The artificial sunlight bounces off the glass-like surface. The green rolling hills stand in the background, under the charmed blue sky. The water splashes below their hanging feet while the creatures behind them created soft noises, murmurs.

Tina breaks their silence a few minutes later. "Newt?" she whispers, tilting her head back to see him.

Newt gazes down her. "Yes, love?"

"Will we..." she gulps. "Will we make it? Will we win?" Her voice was soft, broken. And it makes Newt's heart ache listening to it.

He stays silent for a while, staring back at the lake. Will they win? After all that has happened almost four months back—after all the people they've lost to that man—Newt wasn't sure. He's sure that he should trust Dumbledore's advice to "just wait", but will that help? It's been nearly four months and still nothing.

"I don't know, Tina," Newt finally says. "I don't know..."

He feels Tina whimper against him, making him look at her again worriedly. "I'm scared, Newt..." she croaks. "I don't want to lose more people anymore..." Then, she gasps, "What if I lose you, too?"

Newt quickly cups her face and kisses her. "You won't lose me, Tina," he breathes when he pulled back. He gently traces a finger on her cheek. "Whatever it takes, I will stay here with you." He pecks her again. "And I'll make sure that we'll make it to the other side of the war...together."

Tears fall from her eyes and Newt wipes them away. Tina lets out a watery laugh. "You promise?"

Newt tips their forehead together and stares lovingly into eyes. "I promise," he professed before leaning in to kiss her one more time.

War is coming, he knows it. She knows it. They all know it.

But, for now, what's important is that they have each other. Together.

Forever.

——

Put your arms around me baby don't ever let go

Let the world around us just fall apart

Baby we could make it if we're heart to heart

—Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship (1987)

[Edited and Re-uploaded: August 8, 2020]