Chapter 12

The much anticipated day finally arrived- The Valorian Moon Festival. The streets and houses were decked with beautiful moon-shaped lanterns and decorations. The palace looked exceptionally regal with pale white decorations and an extravagant white platter which included moon cakes, milk puddings, radish and parsnips salad, rabbit terrine, key lime moon pies and coconut sponge cakes.

This festival was known for transforming the entire kingdom to white.

All the subjects took part in the festivities held in their neighbourhood. Everyone, except the members of the Royal Family, wore white to blend in with the theme. The Royal Family wore different shades of green, to symbolise growth and prosperity.

This year, however, the palace had a different reason to celebrate the Moon Festival. King Dominic had insisted that Lilith meet her suitors when she turned twenty, and this was the perfect occasion to host princes from various kingdoms.

Lilith sat on the embroidered ottoman in front of her dressing table and looked at her reflection on the gilt-framed oval mirror. She wore a forest green off-shoulder silk gown with gold thread delicate embroidery on the bodice and cape sleeves. She wore her red hair in loose waves to her shoulders and the rest of her hair was braided into a high bun at the back of her head.

She looked ethereal.

Lilith tied a dagger around her leg to protect herself and her father. She won't let him go. She was determined to protect her father, whatever it takes. 

She took a deep breath, got up from the ottoman, brushed her skirt, and was about to walk in the direction of King Dominic's chamber when she noticed a beautiful ornate emerald necklace lying on the small bedside bookshelf.

It wasn't here before, or was it? I may have not noticed it earlier...

She picked up the necklace gently, caressing her fingers over the intricate detailing. There was a small piece of paper folded and kept right beside it.

It read: Sorry, Love Aeden.

She smiled at the note, placed the necklace around her neck, and looked at the mirror. It looked stunning on her and matched her forest green gown. She decided to wear it.

Just as she wore the emerald necklace, it started to glow. She was stunned.

Wow, so magical!

She brushed her thumb lightly over the glowing jewel and walked out of her room. But instead of walking towards the King's chamber, she walked in the opposite direction towards the ballroom.

~Wait what? Why would she do that?~

***

Meanwhile, in the library:

"Aeden, the emerald on your ring is glowing," Queen Catherine pointed out.

Aeden looked in relief at the ring. "Phew! I thought she wouldn't wear it! The crystal is working. Now Lilith will be under a spell. She will not go to the chamber. Instead, she'll walk towards the ballroom. She'll entertain herself there, amongst her suitors, while we end him, once and for all," he replied.

"How long will the spell last?" asked the Queen.

"The spell will last until the next sunset, so we needn't worry about that. However, it can be broken by a..." Aeden paused.

"By a? What? True love's kiss?" Catherine asked, chuckling.

"You're not wrong," he replied with a small smile. "A true love's kiss can break the spell."