Chapter 17

"Don't believe a word she says! She is an evil witch who neither deserves our sympathy, nor this kingdom. Don't spare her!" announced the shrewd and garrulous person seated in the front pew.

Lilith cast a brief look at Queen Catherine. A wave of hushed murmurs filled the hall. The air was filled with suspicion and anger. The fickle-minded villagers were naive enough to accept this version. However, the townsfolk were sceptical. The head of one of the towns spoke up with a lot of deliberation, "Your Majesty, how can you say so? Do you have any proof?"

Catherine stood up with a smug smile as if the crown was already hers. She gestured for someone to enter the church hall. Everyone turned to see her proof.

"There are eyewitnesses to this brutal cold-blooded murder," she said, pointing victoriously at the figures marching towards the front of the hall. They were none other than the two guards who guarded the king's chamber the day before. They looked reluctantly at Lilith, who stared back at them, stupefied. Catherine asked them to narrate their account of the happenings.

The guard on the left began. "Her Highness came running towards the chamber. Before entering, she asked if anyone is in the room or had come before"-

The other guard cut in. "We replied that we hadn't seen anyone enter. Except for the apothecary. He used to come for regular check-ups."

Lilith looked around for the apothecary. He wasn't there.

"Princess Lilith went in and a few minutes after that, we heard the sound of an incessant cough. When we went in, we saw Lilith fetch him a glass of water, and then—"

Catherine raised her hand to stop them. "Emphasize on that part. The part where she gave him water."

The guards looked at each other, puzzled. Lilith however, was quick to sense what the whole thing was leading to. Catherine was accusing Lilith of supposedly adding poison to the water to kill him. Her face boiled with rage but remained silent as she knew anything told could be used against her. After all, she had no proof to prove otherwise. Unless her father wasn't killed by poisoning after all.

The guards completed their version of the incident. All eyes glared accusingly at her. Well, most of them. Some of the villagers were too naive to realise what it indicated. They whispered amongst those close to them to understand the implied meaning.

At last, Lilith spoke fiercely. "Mother, I know not why you would fabricate such a lie when you as well as your beloved Crown Shield know very well who committed the hideous crime. Don't try to twist the truth to gain the court's favour and assume your position on the throne. You won't go far."

At this, Catherine laughed menacingly. "Bah! Baseless allegations!"

Lilith, determined to clear her name from the botched up case spoke up. "You not only killed my father but also forged a will declaring yourself as the next ruler because you knew that the original will declared me as the next ruler."

"Lily my darling!" she exclaimed, clutching her chest as if in utter disbelief. "Why would I ever dream of ever taking Valoria away from you?"

"Exactly mother," she replied, emphasizing the word 'mother'. "Why would you?"

Catherine gritted her teeth in anger. She replied, "Isn't anyone going to ask her for proof? Or does your beloved Princess get preferential treatment? Show me the original will. Show me your eyewitnesses."

Lilith kept quiet and looked around. Angry faces met her. All feelings of sympathy had evaporated from their faces. Their stone-cold eyes made her extremely uneasy.

"Hah, see! Truth always prevails!" Catherine smirked victoriously.

At this moment, the apothecary came into the hall. He walked to the front and announced, "It is with deep sadness I announce that King Dominic was murdered. Using poison hemlocks."

A collective gasp ran across the crowd.

Lilith noticed the guards scrutinizing the apothecary from his face to his appearance. They were discussing something in hushed tones, and one of them nodded vigorously as if agreeing on whatever the other guard said. She crinkled her eyes trying to figure out what they were saying. As if on cue, both the guards looked at her, only to see her looking back at them. One of them tried to relay a message to her using gestures and mouthing. But before he could do anything, the other guard stamped his foot, warning him not to say anything.

Something's up. What could it be?

She crinkled her forehead trying to understand what they were discussing. The guards looked at her again. They were trying to convey something. Through a flurry of desperate attempts to communicate, Lilith understood that they wanted to speak to her about a serious matter, urgently.

She nodded, a glimmer of hope shining in her eyes. After the funeral service, the royal family parted silently, walking towards the palace with the dignitaries and other guests. Closely following behind were the villagers and townspeople, who discussed amongst themselves in hushed tones.

Lilith walked back slowly to the palace but turned to look around for the guards. They were standing near the water fountain and gestured her to meet them there immediately. She glanced sideways to check if anyone noticed her, but they seemed too caught up in their emotions (or their lies). She walked swiftly towards the fountain.

I'm either going to get some really good news. Or fall prey to a trap. Again.

Author's note

Like most of y'all guessed, Catherine is trying to frame Lilith for murder. Lilith's only ray of hope could be the guards. What do they have for her? Is it going to be her escape and revenge route? Or is it just a trick, schemed by Catherine herself?

Thank you for reading this far? Just touched 600 votes *blessed*.

Do drop a ⭐ if you enjoyed the story so far, and share this with your friends!

Happy reading!