Chapter 21

After a rather long and tiring trek through the tunnel that seemed to be leading nowhere, it opened up. A ray of sunshine pierced through tiny holes in the opening. Lilith scurried towards the exit and ducked her head, stepping out onto an unassuming land covered with weeds and thorny bushes. The opening was hidden under a thick layer of ivy creepers and gorse bushes.

Lilith carefully stepped out towards a small cleared patch of land and looked around. It looked like an absurd place out of nowhere, and that led to nowhere. There was no one about, though some broken down huts laid scattered across the lush landscape. Since the chimneys didn't belch smoke, she realised they were abandoned huts.

Lilith quickly felt for the portions and swirled the purple bottle. It was slightly frothy and its faint bubbling sound reassured her that her plan won't fail.

The scarlet sun descending into the faraway hills painting the sky a furious orange reminded her that just three more days remained. She creaked open one of the huts which were covered in cobwebs and layers of dust. It smelled musty and Lilith set off at once to clear one small room to take shelter for the time being. She pushed the cupboards and dusted the room. Then she pulled some springy heather from outside and made her plushy mattress. Her growling stomach reminded her that she hadn't eaten anything.

Oh well, guess I'd have to go hungry tonight.

She closed her eyes, clearing her mind of all sorts of thoughts.

What next? What do I disguise as tomorrow? Will it be successful? What if...

It did take a pretty long time, but soon she drifted off to sleep.

The next day, she awoke at the crack of dawn. She knew exactly what to dress up as.

Lilith carefully took the bottle with the purple potion in her hand. She unscrewed the cork and took a sip of the potion. Before gulping it down, she thought in great detail about the disguise she wanted to be in: her clothes, her mannerisms, her voice, her face, hair, props, accessories, everything.

With one swoop, she swallowed the bittersweet potion. She then kept the bottle aside and outstretched her hands and felt her face.

Nothing happened.

It'll take time. I'll be patient.

Lilith walked around the room and peeped outside through a window that had a broken frame and no panes. No one was out. She wanted to get out as soon as she could, as the dirty rooms and musty smell was unbearable. However, she couldn't risk being seen while transforming. She decided to wait a little while longer. 

She went into each of the rooms. One of them had an old mirror. She could barely see herself as it was spotty and cracked. Gradually, she noticed her palms were wrinkling. She looked on with interest as her hands creased, leaving nothing but thin, pale skin through which her veins were visible. Her healthy rosy cheeks and face turned paler and sagged and her button nose grew longer and became crooked. Her teeth had gold filings and some were missing. Grey-black wisps of hairs framed her forehead, centre-parted and tied in a bun. Her body turned plump and her left leg developed a limp.

She wore a long black gown which was cropped right above her ankles. Rings of all shapes and sizes adorned her thick, wrinkly fingers. Bangles, charms and bracelets dangled on her seemingly feeble wrists. She had two necklaces around her neck- A pearl chain and a long thin gold necklace with the pendant of a clock. A bag was slung over her broad, drooping shoulders. It was filled to the brim with a crystal (for crystal gazing), palmistry chart, tasseography teacup, a caged parrot that squawked for no reason, playing cards, tarot cards, oracle cards and a lot more things. 

Her eyes turned from her signature emerald green pair to hazel brown and twinkled with mischief.

Let the act commence!

Author's note

Now that Lilith has escaped the dungeons, and is planning on disguising herself, what do you think she'll be dressed up as? Will the countryfolk see through the disguise? Will it help her in any way? Will her plan work?

Thank you for reading this far, and posting your valuable comments and feedback. It is so heartwarming to see your responses, and I look forward to it every day.

Please drop a ⭐ if you enjoyed the story so far, and tag your friends in the prologue so that this reaches more readers.

Happy reading!