10. Secrets

I haven't decided if I like Laurel yet.

She's not dense though so she's got that going for her. I keep glancing at the front door ever since she followed Wes out there.

"He's fine." James mumbles beside me.

I'm not sure how we ended up on the couch next to each other, somehow when I got up for a bathroom break I came back and the only two available spots were next to Savannah or James. James likes to spread out on the couch like he owns it, I mean I get it, he's tall and if we were alone I'd definitely choose to sit next to him. But we aren't alone and I'm paranoid about raising suspicions but I know if I sit next to Savannah it'd be awkward. I can only pretend I'm oblivious so much.

So here I am, next to James which I obviously prefer but his leg keeps brushing mine and I can smell the cologne he always wears. When I look over at him his gray eyes are watching me intently and I feel heat start to rise through my body.

"Yeah I know." The words come out of me breathless and flustered which doesn't help me from stifling the blush that's creeping along my skin.

"Are we playing or what?" Elli barks at us, tossing my controller that I had placed on the coffee table prior to my bathroom break, it hits me square in the chest.

About those reflexes, they're only on point when Wes is around apparently.

I fumble for it, it bounces around in my hands like a hot potato as I try to save it from the floor but alas it tumbles too far and I watch as it plummets to the ground.

"Learn to catch." Ellie teases.

"Learn to throw." I toss back and she roars with laughter.

Savannah beats me to it, the blue controller clutched in her hand as she sits up. She's leaning over the arm, inching closer, her gray eyes focused on me as she smiles.

"Here." Her breath is warm, smothering my face.

I almost opt out of finishing Mario Party solely so I don't have to take the controller from her. But I realize how that'd look so I carefully pluck the controller from her open palm. Desperately trying not to touch her just so that there's no way she can mistake an accidental graze for something more.

My smile is nothing more than a twitch of the lips as I say "thanks".

Savannah and I used to be close.

Like Ellie and I are. But I'll be the first to admit that her crush on me has driven a wedge between us. Probably by me, I don't know how to address it.

Telling her I actually like her twin brother and not her seems...harsh? Wrong? Like a terrible idea. For more than one reason.

I'm like a vault, harboring secrets.

————————

"When did everyone go home?" Grace asks, her giant purse hitting the countertop with a thunk.

Wes and I are on the couch, reruns of South Park playing behind us. Wes is asleep, he dozed off shortly after Ellie, James and Savannah left.

"Around 11." I answer.

She takes a seat on the arm of the couch. Her gaze drifting to Wes, his shoulder twitches, then his head but it stops there, subtle and much less expressive than when he's awake.