22. I'm Not Lucky

"You really can't?" Ellie says for the hundredth time.

She's moved up to my passenger seat after we dropped Wes at his house.

I shake my head no even though technically I could. I don't have family plans. I have plans with James. But I'm not about to say that.

"Yeah, you know how my parents are." I lie keeping my gaze focused on the road even though there's nothing out by Ellie's house. "Family first."

She groans, dramatic and over the top and I can't help but smile.

"You'll live." Amusement spills out of me.

"No I won't." She casts me a sideways glance, arms folded across her chest as she sinks lower into the passenger seat of my car. "I hate when all of Freddie's and Lizzie's friends come over. It's like...like chaos."

"Looks like Laurel's your best bet then. But start trying to persuade her now." I suggest.

I pull down the gravel driveway that leads to her house, tucked off the road a short distance with all of these beautiful mature trees shading the yard. I love Ellie's house for more than one reason but it's location is definitely high up on the list. Ellie's already unbuckled, a contrast to Wes who'd wait until my car was officially in park.

"It's like she's against friends." Ellie comments. "Weird huh? Who is against friends?"

It is weird and for a moment as I put my car in park and I turn to face Ellie I take her in. Her pink tipped hair that she was ecstatic over a tangled mess from our day's adventure, her light skin and delicate features. Her outgoing, loud personality that even though abrasive at times is so loving. I know Ellie cares about us, about the handful of people she keeps close. She's a pint sized force to be reckoned with, protective and loyal and its moments like these when it's Ellie and I and we're alone in my wagon I think about telling her. Sometimes I think about kissing her too. That maybe I could pretend I liked her like I like James and then everything would be right.

But I don't want to kiss Ellie. I don't want to hold her hand or feel her arms wrap around me. I don't want to build a life with her beyond this. Beyond friendship.

The door to my car shoves open, rocking my wagon slightly as Ellie uses her foot to kick it. Her hands braced along the open door frame ready to hoist herself up when she stops.

"You're coming in." She states.

Of course I am. I know better than to argue. If I did both her moms would chase me down the road. The thought makes me smile instantly.

"Yeah, I'm coming." I answer her even though I never had a choice in the matter.

I pocket my keys, following Ellie up to the house, my converse getting coated in a layer of dust as I walk the dirt path to the porch that hangs off the modest ranch. Ellie's house is great, it's loved and it's loud. Something I've never known.

There's bathing suits draped over the railing, a towel pooled on the floor, toys strewn about and I prepare myself for the noise. It sneaks out through cracks in the house, like a pulse, pumping life through the bones of the home.

"Brace yourself." Ellie tosses the warning over her shoulder and then swings the door open to Freddie and Lizzie screaming a each other.

Freddie has a Barbie gripped tight by the hair, his face red, defiant and unmoving. Lizzie's finger jabs through the air, the other on her hip as she musters all the sass she can, giving her brother an ear full.

I watch as Lizzie sucks in a breath, filling her lungs to deliver her tirade when Ellie intercepts.

"What's going on?" She casually slips herself between the two kids as if war isn't seconds from breaking out.

"He stole my Barbie! He said he's going to cut her head off!" Lizzie screams.

Freddie though has a different story. "She took my Pokémon cards and hid them so I'm taking her stupid Barbie!"

I lean against the wall amused. How different would my life have been if I had a sibling. Maybe I wouldn't be my parents sole focus.

"Give me the Barbie." Ellie's small fingers uncurl, palm flat as she waits. Her other hand finds her hip and she stares stone faced at her little brother.

"But.."

"I said give me the Barbie." Her words clipped.

Freddie lets out a huff but he slaps the Barbie into Ellie's hand. Lizzie's more than pleased, standing there in the living room, a tan couch that practically swallows you when you sit on it the back drop.

Lizzie's just about to stick her tongue out at her brother when Ellie squashes put her enthusiasm.

"Your Pokémon cards are probably in the cabinet where Mama keeps the school supplies." She tells Freddie and as soon as he has a location he's sprinting off, Lizzie starts in on protesting. "Here's your Barbie, stop taking your brothers stuff and he'll stop popping their heads off."

"But El!" She cries, "he's annoying."

Her dark hair is in a ponytail, a big purple bow tied in it, dark eyes the color of rich chocolate twinkle with a forced onslaught of tears as she tries to hit Ellie's soft spot. I know Lizzie's tricks, I've seen them all and if I was in Ellie's spot I'd already be caving. But Ellie is used to it.

"So are you. Where are moms?" She breezes past her sister's protests.

"Mama's in her office. Mom isn't gone yet." Lizzie answers and then she looks at me for the first time since I've walked through the door and even though she's got one perfect tear rolling down her cheek she gives me a big grin. "Freddie! Brett's here!"

"Nah uh, no." Ellie grabs my wrist, feet pounding into the floor growing louder as Freddie comes stumbling back into the living room, Pokémon cards in tow. "He's mine."

"Next time Liz ." Ellie pulls me a long behind her but I take a second to ruffle Lizzie's ponytail as I pass. "Make sure you keep track of any new cards you get Freddie."

His caramel colored eyes are full of excitement as he starts to rattle off a list of Pokémon names I can barely understand. Pokémon was never my thing but Freddie is all about it and every time I come over he likes to show me the news ones he's acquired.

"They're the worst." Ellie mumbles but there's no conviction to her words because she loves her brother and sister and we all know it.

Her house is decent sized, all the bedrooms at one end, open concept at the other. It's always in some sort of disarray, various toys scattered around, mismatched furniture, her cat usually perched on one surveying his domain. But just before we make it to Ellie's room, Joanna pokes her head out of her office.

"Did I hear Brett?" She asks, dark blue eyes full of a warmth and a kind smile spread across her face.

"Hey Jo." I greet her.

She works from home mostly, a virtual assistant, but even though she'd never have to put on real clothes she does anyway. Dressed smartly, her springy light brown hair pulled back into a knot.

And before I can go through the pleasantries, asking her how she is, I'm engulfed in a hug. One that feels like it can hold the whole world together. That no matter what happens, Jo can fix it, solve it. Loving and accepting and as my eyes meet Ellie's from over her mom's shoulder and I see the smile that softens Ellie's features, I wish not for the first time that Jo and Autumn were my parents.

But I'm not that lucky.

                              ————————

I'm excited to give you more insight into some of these characters that were apart of SL but we never really dove into.