Chapter 2: Carmen

The places Castar lived and worked just added to his strange qualities. First off, he lived in the middle of nowhere in a massive tree house like those ones you see on TV. His house itself wasn't the weirdest part, though. It was actually kind of cool. What I didn't understand was why he lived there. He insisted that I explain everything I do, but he rarely ever tells me anything about himself.

Where he worked was slightly better than where he lived. He told me that he was getting paid for his research, but not that much. I honestly didn't even know where he got the money to pay me. The place that he called his "lab" was a small, old building he'd bought and restored. I was personally convinced that the place was haunted, but Castar wouldn't listen to me.

Castar was sitting at his desk doing paperwork when I entered.

I shivered. "What's with this gloomy aura?"

Castar looked up at me, a smirk stretching across his face. "That would be the brooding teenage boy over there." He pointed toward a boy leaning against the back counter with his arms crossed.

The boy lifted his head slightly. He let out an amused sounding grunt. "Who's she?"

I was a little taken aback by his rough tone and deep voice. "I could say the same about you," I snapped back. It was my immediate reaction, but it was instantly regretted.

The boy sneered. "I would watch your tone if I were you."

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, spare me the usual spiel," I grumbled. I turned to Castar. "What's the point in this again?"

Castar sighed. "If I'd known that someone would wake up on the wrong side of the bed, I wouldn't have had you two meet today." He glanced back at the boy. "Anyway, Carmen, this is Andy Mills. Andy, this is Carmen Andrews."

I just about choked. "You're Andy Mills?"

Andy scowled. He stood up straight, drawing himself to his full height. "Is there something wrong with that?"

There wasn't, actually. I just didn't expect him to look like that.

His hair was white blonde, and his eyes were a dark forest green. His face was quite angular, and his skin was pale. He had broad shoulders and muscular arms, which I would expect seeming that he was a football player.

Andy's eyes narrowed at me. "Well?"

I began laughing.

Andy's scowl deepened. "What's so funny?"

"I'm sorry," I said through ragged breaths, "I've just heard so much about you from other girls at school that I didn't even believe you actually exist!"

Andy cocked his head to the side, a confused expression reforming his features. "Oh."

I swallowed. He looked...ridiculously adorable.

Castar cleared his throat. "Now that introductions are through, I'll tell you why you're both here."

Andy frowned again. "Don't tell me you're forcing me to work."

Castar grinned triumphantly. "That's exactly what I'm doing!"

Andy groaned. "You know Mom doesn't like it when you drag me into things!"

Castar laughed. "She'll have to deal with it. I have a very important project for you and Carmen. I expect you two to spend today becoming acquainted, then I'll give you your tasks on Monday." He then turned to me. "Oh, and Carmen? I'll be paying you double."

Andy groaned. "So she gets money and I don't?!"

Castar clicked his tongue. "She is my employee, you are not."