Chapter 5: Mara

And to think I'd be able to eat my lunch in peace.

Carmen frowned at me. "What's wrong?"

"Look behind you," I grumbled in reply.

She looked over her shoulder and sighed at the sight of Jackie and Aaron. "You still haven't told me what their deal is."

I poked my salad with my fork, avoiding eye contact. "It's complicated."

"Complicated or not, I'm still concerned for you," Carmen said stubbornly. "No matter how much you try to hide it, I can tell somethings up." She pointed a spoonful of mashed potatoes at me. "It'd be better if you just told me." She popped the spoon into her mouth and beamed.

I couldn't help but smile at her blissful expression. "How can you eat that every day and still react like it's your first time trying it?" I asked.

Carmen smirked. "How can you eat the same salad every day and not starve?"

"Very funny," I said sarcastically. "But in all seriousness, if you saw what I eat for dinner every night you'd also want to eat a light lunch."

Carmen opened her mouth to speak, but I interrupted with a surprised yelp.

A sharp pain shot through my neck.

Carmen's eyebrows furrowed together. "Mara?"

I stood up quickly. So fast, in fact, that I nearly knocked over my chair. "Excuse me," was all I managed to choke out before I sprinted to the bathroom. I tore open the first stall's door and fell to my knees. My mouth filled with the metallic taste of blood, and I knew I couldnt hold it in anymore. I hunched over the toilet and threw up.

A laugh cut through the sound of my unpleasant situation.

"I hope you're having fun," I snarled.

"Believe me," Jackie said, her grin evident in her voice, "I am."

I forced myself to my feet, wiping my mouth on the back of my sleeve. I pushed passed Jackie and made my way toward the sink. I washed my hands, then pulled a tube of lip gloss out of my pocket. I leaned in close to the mirror as I reapplied the lip gloss that I'd just so gracefully removed. "You know," I began, still not looking at Jackie, "I didn't expect you to move so soon. And Aaron seems less than willing to go along with your plan." I tucked the lip gloss back into my pocket, finally turning to face her.

Jackie sneered. "Don't try to act all high and mighty after a blow like that."

I clenched my fists. "Let's not forget who's letting their guard down," I growled. "If we weren't in public, I wouldn't hesitate to make you sorry for what you did."

"You're all talk," Jackie snapped. "You wouldn't even touch me."

I laughed, a grin spreading across my lips. "Just because you were in charge of the Second Company, doesn't mean that you can do what you want to me."

Jackie scowled. "Watch what you say. I could easily have Aaron--"

That's when I just left the bathroom. I mean as they say, out of sight out of mind.

Carmen was halfway down the hall when I ran into her. "Are you okay?!" she exclaimed. "You've been in the bathroom for ages!"

I waved a hand dismissively. "It was only five minutes."

"You look pale," she insisted. "Let's go back to the cafeteria so you can sit!"

"I'm fine," I mumbled. "I need to get something out of my locker anyway."