Chapter 10: Andy

It'd been about a week and a half since I'd talked to Carmen. She would flat out ignore me and my texts or calls. I couldn't shake the feeling that what I'd said had been too harsh. I wanted to apologize, but she wouldn't listen. On top of that, I'd hurt my left wrist and would be out for almost four weeks of the football season.

One Friday after school, I could tell that something was wrong. The moment I got home, it seemed to slap me right in the face.

Dad watched me wearily as I prepared dinner.

"Is there something bothering you?" I asked, not looking up at him.

He didn't respond immediately, but when he did his voice came out slightly hesitant. "What have you changed about you?"

My entire body stiffened at his words. It was my gift that had changed me, but he didn't need to know that. "I'm not sure what you mean," I said. I'd forced out the words knowing that he'd see right past my lie.

Dad stood, making his way toward me with long and confident strides. "I've noticed it recently," he said. He placed his hand on my shoulder, using the other one to stir the pasta I was making. "You're standing taller now," he continued. "On top of that, you're handling your anger better. So what happened?"

I gripped the knife I had in my hand tightly. "I don't see why it's any of your concern," I replied in a low voice.

He chuckled. "Am I not allowed to praise my son?"

I set down the knife with a sigh. "You asked me to make dinner in your place because you were 'busy.' If you have work, then why are you still here?"

At this, Dad returned to the table.

I continued to cook silently.

Lou Ellen set the table just as I was finishing up. She came bounding into the kitchen with a big smile on her face. "I finished!" she exclaimed.

I leaned down to kiss her forehead. "Good job. Can you help me serve, then?"

She nodded.

"This smells delicious, Andy," Mom said, smiling.

I sat down beside Lou. "Let's hope it tastes as good as it smells..."

Dad smiled as well. "I don't see why it won't."

There was a silence as we all began eating.

Lou grinned. "This is really good!"

Just as I'd turned to her, her fork fell out of her hand and clattered to the floor. "Lou?" I asked frantically.

Her eyes went wide, then she fell into my arms.

"Lou!" I yelled.

She didn't move or respond.

"She's not breathing," I murmured.

Mom immediately stood up. "What?"

"She's not breathing!" I exclaimed.

"I'll get her EpiPen," Mom said.

Dad stayed seated and unbelievably calm. He covered his mouth with his napkin. "How..." he coughed, "unfortunate."

Just then Mom came back into the room. The moment she took Lou into her arms, everything clicked.

I ran to the trash to dig out the box from the pasta. "You bastard!" I roared, my voice deepening in anger. I glared at Dad. "You started the pasta! You knew it wasn't gluten-free!"

Mom's eyes widened, a bewildered look taking over her face. "Is it true?" she breathed.

Dad didn't confirm or deny it. He simply set his napkin down on the table, then stood up.