Chapter 3: Andy

I'd typed out a text to Carmen about a hundred times. Of course, I never sent any of them. It was Sunday afternoon so it wasn't like she wouldn't see the message. With a frustrated sigh, I deleted the message I was currently typing and slammed my phone down on the park bench.

"Trouble in paradise?" someone asked.

I looked up to see my best friend's girlfriend, Ella. "When did you get here?"

She chuckled. "Collin said he was meeting you here, so I decided to tag along."

Collin came up behind her. "Sorry I didn't tell you," he said.

"It's fine," I replied.

"So what happened?" Ella asked. "You seemed pretty upset."

I sighed. "It's nothing."

Collin tossed me the football that was tucked under his arm. "Well, here's a chance to get your frustration out."

I grinned, standing up. "Thanks."

My dad always said that football was better to get my anger out than to use my punching bag. I can't say that I agreed. Of course, I couldn't agree with most things my dad told me. He and I were quite different, but despite that we had a pretty good relationship. He often had to go overseas for work. It really took a toll on my mom most of the time. I was able to take care of myself, of course, but my younger sister, Lou Ellen, was very demanding. She'd bee born prematurely and almost didn't make it. She'd just turned six, but she had several bad allergies and a few other health problems that made Mom worry a bit too much. When I got back home, I didn't expect the situation I'd arrive to.

Mom was on the phone with Dad when I walked through the front door. I made my way toward the kitchen.

"Andy!" Lou Ellen exclaimed. She was sitting at the kitchen table coloring.

I smiled. "What are you coloring?"

Lou grinned. "A flower! Mommy says I can give it to Daddy when he gets home tomorrow."

I ruffled her hair, then walked over to the fridge. "Mom hasn't started cooking, right?"

"Nope!" Lou replied.

I pulled a chocolate pudding cup out of the fridge.

"Can I have some?" Lou asked.

I sighed. "Nice try, but you know you can't."

Lou pouted. "Not even a bite?" She got off her chair and walked toward me, reaching for the pudding cup.

I set the cup down on the counter and crouched down to her height. "You'll get a tummy ache," I said quietly. "I don't like seeing you cry, okay? And don't frown like that either."

Lou's lower lip quivered. "B-but Mommy never gets my special pudding anymore," she sniffled. "A-and I can't eat your yogurt or your bread or your cheese. Mommy won't even make me my cookies!" By this point tears were streaming down her face. "I'm hungry, Andy," she cried.

I clenched my fists and I forced a reassuring smile onto my face. I pulled her into my arms. "I know, baby," I murmured into her ear. "But it'll be alright. Mommy hasn't forgotten. Her and Daddy have been busy."

Lou buried her head into my shoulder. "I don't like that word," she mumbled.

"What word, Lou?" I asked.

"Busy. It's a mean word."

I chuckled, carrying her toward the kitchen island.

"It's not funny," she snapped.