Chapter 16 | Grim Reaper

|Raj|

Have you ever wondered what life is? We all may have a different approach to this question. To put it in a nutshell, life is a journey to death. It is a fierce game of chess between the angel of life and the harbinger of death. Yes, you guessed it right.. The Grim Reaper, a personification of death in the form of a cloaked skeleton wielding a large scythe.

I jolted up with panic and sharp deep breath, my bed was soaked with my sweats. The gloomy dark clouds with the low roar of the thunder echoed over the city of  Riverdale.

"Calm down Raj, it's just a bad dream." I reminded myself.

Indeed, it was just a nightmare. I had a beautiful family of my own with the most beautiful woman making me breakfast with our little daughter. I just got home from my morning run and kissed the love of my life before heading upstairs to freshen up. While getting dressed I heard a loud scream and the shattering of utensils. I rushed down as fast as I could, but time seemed to have altered, and I was running in slow motion. Upon reaching the source of the sound I saw the horrible sight of the grim reaper dragging the love of my life away, she was calling out to me and screaming at the top of her lungs for help her hands stretched out to me and I ran towards her but it felt that no matter how much I ran, I was unable to reach her and grab her hands. I begged the reaper to leave anjali alone and take me instead, but death came to collect a debt and it was non-negotiable.

*******

I wiped the tiny beads of sweat off my forehead and rolled over to my bedside desk to grab my phone and I searched through my contact list and dialed Anjali. I just wanted to hear her soothing voice that could instantly calm me down. The ring went through, but she was not answering the phone.

I didn't think much as it was the start of summer holidays and I guess she was out making the most of this time. Ramu, my butler, knocked on the door. "May I come in Mr. Raj?" he asked politely.

"Yes, come in Ramu." I said, getting up and grabbing my shirt that was lying at the edge of my bed.

"I am here with a message from Mr. Sharma." he stated upon his entry.

"Mr. Sharma expects your company in the home office shortly, he has a business proposition for you." he finished.

"Thank you Ramu, I will be there." I said, making my way to freshen up.

There was a strange sense of revolt in the air today. It was as if the city had been visited by sadness and despair. I left a text for anjali to call me as soon as she could. I was getting worried about her and a strange urge of feeling detached.

I waltzed my way into my dad's chamber in the home office. Apparently, he seemed to be in a delightful mood today.

"Yes dad?" I said with a Stoic expression.

"Ah yes, there you are my boy, come take a seat." he greeted with a smile.

Why is it whenever Mr. Sharma smiles, there is always chaos wrapped in its deceiving shade. Nevertheless, I took my seat and proceeded to hear what ludicrous business proposal he had to offer.

"Now as you know Raj, you are due to ascend onto the throne of this business empire that I have set up just for you" He said as he flipped through some documents that were neatly arranged in front of him.

"I have big news to share with you, Deepika and I have been sharing the same work space, and we have formed a great deal of understanding through the years, we are taking our professional relation to the next level, and we are getting engaged at the end of this month." he announced with a firm tone and studying my expression.

"Dad" I smiled to his surprise. "You're more than welcome to live the life you have always wanted, mother is not here to judge you anymore. Do whatever that pleases you. I'm honestly done with you. Don't expect me to turn up at your event. Trust me, I'm better off not being there." I simply stated as I stood up to walk away.

"I'm not done yet Raj, get back here and sit down." he raised his voice.

"About that business proposal that I have for you." he spoke as he took a deep breath to compose himself.

"This" he handed me a piece of envelope with a document in it. "This is a contract between us."

"What's this rubbish?" I asked, staring at the sealed envelope.

"In light of your recent behavior towards disrespecting me, this is your one way ticket to this empire I have created. As you know my dear boy, everything comes with a price and this is your price. Before you make any hasty ultimatum, go through this contract properly as your future depends on it." he stated with a triumph smile.

I never imagined my dad thought of me as nothing but an investment. I felt humiliated. I left his chambers with the envelope in my hand. I knew exactly where to go with this dilemma.

*******

"And so he gave me this." I said as I tossed the envelope on the table in front of me.

"Hmm, this looks like a legit legal document." he said, opening the envelope and examining it.

Arav was surprised to see that Mr. Sharma, a person that was an ideal businessman and a mentor to him, would succumb to this just to get his way.

"So what have you thought about this Raj?" he asked.

Just as I was about to answer, a bouncer came in.

"Sir, there is a girl outside the club. She says she is looking for Raj Sharma." he told Arav.

"Tell her the club is closed for today, and we are not expecting any visitors." Arav instructed the bouncer.

"Wait, it could be Anjali." I said before the bouncer left.

"GET OFF ME YOU FAT ELEPHANT!!" she screamed as she reached the door to the VIP lounge.

We both turned and looked at the door with surprise. A beautiful girl appeared fuming with rage as two other bouncers were trying to grab hold of her.

"We are sorry, sir. She ran past us, and we tried to stop her." they apologised.

"It's okay, let her in, I know her." I said looking at the familiar face.

"Yeah that's right, you better be sorry! Not so tough now uh boys!" she screamed at the bouncers as they left.

"Um Raj, who is that?" Arav pointed to her, surprised.

"Excuse me, Mr....." she spoke as she walked towards Arav.

"Arav." He stood up and extended his arm.

"Yeah, whatever." she looked at his hands and turned to me.

"Aditi" I smiled.

"What can I do for you?" I asked.

"Where is Anjali?" she demanded.

*******

Those three words that flipped my entire life in a split-second. 

It made me drop my glass of rum, scattering the glass shards all over the floor. My heart sank as those words repeated in my mind like a recorder stuck on a loop. The flashbacks of the dream rushed through my head as fear clawed its way through my entire body.

Where. Is. Anjali.

******

Hey beautiful Souls!

Hope you enjoyed reading this chapter!

Do share your views !

Till the next chapter! Love and hugs!