Chapter 8: A Question

"Now you pull this lever like this--" Momoko reached up and leaned on the lever "--and open the steam valve like this--" the loft filled with the screeching sound of milk steaming in the gleaming container, "--and a minute later, voilà! Foamed milk and espresso for lattés or cappuccinos, whichever you want." She lined up five cups on the counter, poured the right amount of espresso, then added the milk, holding the foam back with a spoon. She expertly poured each in the pattern of a heart, drawing a line up the middle with a toothpick after. She presented each with a flourish and a smile, getting a smile back from each guy in turn. Even Jude had agreed to forego his morning tea to try the " the best latté he'd ever had," prepared by Momoko's own hand.

They each took a sip and looked around, nodding in agreement.

"This is pretty good," Sully said to Momoko.

"Pretty good?" Momoko repeated, offended.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding, it's actually pretty fan-fucking-tastic," he replied, taking another sip. "Especially when you consider I'm having it in my own home for, like one third the cost of my neighborhood coffee shop."

"So for a cappuccino you just put some foam on top?" Dane asked.

Momoko nodded, gesturing toward the container.

Dane held his cup out, and Momoko scooped a dollop of foam on top, adding a dash of cocoa.

Dane took another sip, giving himself a foam mustache, which Momoko wiped away with her thumb.

"This is delicious," Tommy said. "I vote that Momoko is in charge of making us coffee every day for the rest of our lives."

"I second that," Sully said, finishing his latté and pouring himself another without asking.

"I vote that I show you guys how to run the machine and we can take turns," Momoko offered. "What do you say?"

"I like Sully's idea better, If I'm being honest," Jude said with a smile. "Though I'll probably stick to tea most mornings, so it doesn't really affect me as much."

They all poured themselves seconds and took their drinks into the living area to sit.

"So today we're going to rehearse?" Momoko asked, looking around.

"The gig at Polo is five days away, and we need to make sure we're good on all the songs," Sully told her. "Most of the work will fall on you, Peaches. You have twenty-five songs to learn. You up to that?"

Momoko swallowed and nodded. "I'll make recordings of what we do today, and just listen to them all the time. I can do it, I promise."

"Just what we want to hear," Jude said approvingly.

"Great, so let's eat, and get going," Tommy said.

"Hold on, guys," Dane said, looking around.

Everyone looked at him.

"Are we not going to talk about what happened last night?" he asked. He looked at Momoko. "I mean, it almost seems like it was a dream, but I know it wasn't."

There was a long silence as everyone looked at each other. Finally, Momoko spoke. "I feel like sometimes things are ruined with a lot of talk, but okay, if you want, we can talk about it." She looked down at her lap, tracing a pattern on her thigh with her thumbnail.

"I guess I only have one question," she finally said, looking around at each of the guys. "I really enjoyed what happened last night, and I have no problem with things continuing that way. It would be something new for me, something new and really great, I think. Would you guys mind it? Would you be waiting around for me to choose one of you, or would you be cool with things just kind of going on in that direction? A kind of four on one situation?"