Chapter 19: Friendly Blockers

They had a very nice dressing room at the venue in Philadelphia which all of them used to get ready for that night's gig.

"Can you hand me that hair brush, please?" Momoko asked Jude.

"Yup." He picked it up and passed it her way. "You ever thought about why certain things have modifiers like that?" he asked her. "Like why is that called a 'hair' brush? Merely to differentiate it from other kinds of brushes? I mean it looks nothing like a toothbrush, not very likely to confuse the two, are you?"

Momoko laughed as she brushed her hair. "I suppose it is a bit redundant," she acquiesced. "Like saying, 'You have nice food lips, Jude,'" she said, smiling at his reflection in the mirror.

"Please," he said, giving her a look. "These are 'breast' lips, Peaches." He leaned around and planted a kiss on her breast, making an emphatic "mwah," sound as he did so, making her laugh.

"How do I look?" she asked, doing a little twirl.

"You look absolutely smashing," he assured her.

Tonight she was wearing skinny jeans, stilettos and a pink suede form fitting top.

Dane, who'd been onstage messing with his keyboard, came into the dressing room to get ready. "Guess who's here?" he began.

"Who?"

"Harris Nealon," he answered with a grin. "He must've raced over here after he finished his show. And I don't think he came to see any of us guys, you know?" He shook his head cheerfully. "He came to see our gorgeous lead singer, I think."

"The DJ came to see our show?" Sullivan asked, looking up from where he was looking at his phone on the sofa.

"In the flesh," Dane said, nodding. "I think he wants to hook up with Momoko."

"He does not," Momoko protested, leaning forward to work on her makeup. "I'm sure he came to see the band."

"Right, Miss Gorgeous Porcelain Doll, he came to see all of us." Dane hooked her around her waist and spun her around. "Hon."

"Dammit, Dane, you're going to make me fuck up my eyes, and I'm going to have to go out there looking like I got punched in the face," Momoko complained.

"Sorry, sorry," he apologized, contrite. He carefully set her down where she was.

Tommy emerged from the bathroom and picked up his sticks, hitting them on every available surface, higher than a kite. "We ready, guys? We gonna knock 'em dead?"

"The Live Drive at Five DJ is in the house," Sully informed him.

"Ooh," Tommy chuckled, drumming on Momoko's shoulders. "I think someone has a crush on our pretty singer."

"Shut up, Tommy, I have to finish my makeup and I only have, like, three minutes to do it," Momoko admonished.

"Leave her alone," Jude added, flopping down on the sofa. "Seriously, it doesn't matter how we look, but she has to look good."

"Thank you, Jude," Momoko said from her place at the mirror.

"Especially tonight, her boyfriend's come to see her and all," he added.

The boys erupted in laughter.

Momoko shook her head, and finally turned to face them. "What am I going to do if he wants to go out after the show?" she asked. "You guys going to be laughing then?"

This silenced them.

The door opened, and someone stuck their head in. "Five minutes," she said with a smile.