The Portal

I limp my way to the camp infirmary, exhausted from the evening's Capture the Flag game. It was nice that things were finally setting down after the big battle with Gaea. Leo was still missing, which was worrying. I really hoped his crazy idea to use the revival serum from Asclepius had actually worked. Sighing, I push open the infirmary door and enter the busy room. The Apollo kids are running around dealing with all the demigods injured during the game. I make my way to an empty cot and sit sit down, rubbing my sore ankle.

          "Hey Percy."

          I look up and see Nico sitting down on the cot next to mine. "Oh, hey Nico. Good game today."

         "Eh, you weren't bad yourself. " He looks up as Will Solace walks over to check our injuries. The two quickly engage in their usual playful banter as Will ices and bandages my foot, giving me a square of ambrosia before turning his full attention to Nico.

         "You didn't do more underworld-y stuff again, did you?"

         "So what."

         "I told you to lay off that stuff until I say so. Or would you rather melt into a puddle of darkness?"

         "That doesn't sound too bad."

         "Sure thing, Death Boy"

         I chuckle at them as they go back and forth. Suddenly, cries of surprise erupted around the room and some people pointed at something that appeared to be above my head. Me, Nico, and Will look up and see a large black and purple mass swirling above our heads. I slowly start reaching for my pocket where my sword lies when three inky tendrils suddenly shot out of the swirling mass, snagging Will, Nico, and I. The last thing I saw before being swallowed into darkness was little Harley trying to grab Will's foot. The three of us grabbed each others hands as we hurtled through darkness. I quickly pull out Riptide and slash at the tendrils pulling us, severing them. A shriek resounds through the void and then suddenly, the darkness disappears, leaving us suspended 20 feet in the air above an alleyway. We immediately drop in free fall. I look around desperately for something to grab on to when Nico pulls us into a shadow splayed on one of the building. The familiar feeling of his face seeming to peel off from sheer speed hit him like a sledgehammer. A few seconds later the feeling stopped as we came out of the shadows and landed in a heap in the alleyway entrance.

        "Ouch..." I groan as I sit up. Nico lay passed out next to me, his face even paler than usual.

        "Idiot," Will grumbled, rubbing the back of his head. "I told him to NOT do that."

        "Well either way, we should find out where we are so we can get home." I pick up Nico and situate him piggy-back style on my back. By now we've attracted quite a bit of attention and some weird guys in costumes came up asking if we were okay. One of them was wearing all black with a really long, gray scarf and odd yellow goggles hanging around his neck. 

        "You three are gonna need to come to the police station so we can find your parents, but first lets get you boys to a hospital," Scarf Man said, turning to a pair of paramedics who'd just arrived. Me and Will exchanged wary glances as the paramedics gently took Nico off of me and set him down on a stretcher, quickly loading him into the back of an ambulance. Will's brow furrowed in concern, but he didn't say anything.  Scarf Man began with another man in a beige overcoat and fedora who'd just walked up before turning back to us.

        "Boys, this is Detective Tsukauchi, he'll be asking you a few questions after your injuries have been taken care of." 

        "Might we ask what your name is sir?" Will asks.

        "Hmm? Oh yes, my name is Mr. Aizawa," He points toward a police car parked at the curb. "Get in, the Detective and I will drive you to the hospital."

         I look at Will questioningly and he shrugs, climbing into the back of the car. I follow, wondering how everyone else back home was doing, and how we were gonna get home.