The Quirk Test

Once we all had gathered outside We were informed we would be doing a 'quirk test'.

          "Aren't we gonna go to the opening ceremony and guidance lessons?" a girl with brown hair that kinda poofed out on the sides, like it was floating, asks.

          "UA is well known for its freestyle education system, meaning I get to teach my class however I want. Now you all have done the usual no-quirk fitness tests in middle school correct? The standing long jump, endurance running, seated toe touch , softball throw, fifty meter dash, etc. "

         Not in school much, no. Most of the time I did those kinds of things was when I was trying to not die.

         "This country still insists on prohibiting quirks when calculating the averages of those tests, even though it's not rational. Bakugo." He turns towards the spiky haired kid from earlier. "What was your best throwing distance in middle school."

         "Sixty-seven meters. What of it."

         Aizawa tosses him a softball. "Try throwing it using your quirk. You can do whatever you think will get it the farthest. Just don't step outside the throwing circle."

         Bakugo stepped into the circle and threw the ball, creating an explosion behind the ball to propel it through the air and yelling "DIE!" as it flew out of his hand.

        Die, huh? Yep, 100 percent convinced now he'd fit right in with Clarisse and her siblings. This is gonna be fun..

        Aizawa holds up his phone showing us that the ball had flown 705.2 meters. "It's important that we know our own limits. That is the first step towards figuring out what kind of hero you're going to become.

        I roll my eyes. Pretty sure I've figured that one out already teach. Saving the world and then getting thrown back into the deep end seems pretty accurate to me . I look over at Will and Nico and see the same unimpressed look on Nico while Will just purses his lips. Everyone else however seemed excited, chattering amongst themselves animatedly.

        "You think this is awesome?" Aizawa suddenly says, looking at us all seriously. "You think it's going to be all fun and games?" An uncomfortable silence settled over the other students. "Now they're starting to get it," Nico mutters, only audible to me and Will. Aizawa continues.

        "Right then. Except for Will Solace, the person with the lowest scores across all the events will be deemed hopeless and expelled." The other students stared at him in shocked silence.

        "Excuse me sir, why is Solace exempt from this?" The glasses guy from the exam asks, frowning.

        "Solace's quirk is designed for healing, not combat or physical activity," Aizawa answers, a bored expression on his face. "Alright, get to work everyone."

        We went through each test until it was time for everyone except Bakugo to do the soft ball throw. The floaty hair girl got an infinity on her throw since she apparently made the ball weightless, causing it to disappear into space. Nico surrounded his ball in a layer of shadow and made it fly about 900 meters and land in a bush. Soon it was my turn. As I step into the circle, I think about how I'm gonna do this. What if I use water to create pressure behind the ball, making it explode like a geyser when I release the ball? Guess I'll give it a shot. I called up some water from the ground and move it behind the ball, releasing the pressure as I chuck the ball into the air. I watch as it sails into the air and lands a ways away on the grass.

        "812.7 meters. Good job kid. Alright, last one is Izuku Midoriya."

        I whisper "good luck!" as I pass Izuku on my way back to where everyone was standing, earning a determined smile. As he started calling on his power though, Aizawa suddenly pulled his scarf out and his hair flew up. In that same instant, I could tell the built up power Izuku had vanished.

        "I erased your quirk." Aizawa says, scowling down at Izuku. I start hearing whispers behind me

        "It's Eraser Head!" "Eraser Head? You mean that pro hero who can erase you quirk by staring at you?" "Yeah." "Wow .." I ignore them and focus on Aizawa and Izuku.

        "I could see it. How you don't know how to control your quirk. You would just become incapacitated again if you tried to use it like you were going to. Do you expect someone to be there to help you after you become useless?"

       "W-what! of course not! It's not like that!"

       "Mhm. Go again. This time, I won't stop you with my quirk." His hair and scarf fall back into place as he steps back, waiting. Izuku concentrates, building up his power again. However, it wasn't as big as before. It was smaller and more concentrated. As he threw the ball, I could see his index finger begin to glow, until just before the ball left contact with his hand, a surge of power flowed from his finger into the ball, sending it flying at an incredible speed. It ended up dropping just a little farther than Bakugo's throw, hitting the ground at 705.3 meters. I look at Izuku's hand and immediately understand what Aizawa was talking about. His whole index finger was broken, the purpled skin swollen. He must have only recently manifested his power. I've seen some demigods pass out from being unable to control their powers, but this is the first time I've seen a power destroy the holder's bones. It must be really potent if it can do that to its user. After all the balls, except for the gravity girl's, were picked up and put back, Aizawa showed us the overall rankings. Me and Nico were pretty solidly in the middle while Will was a bit in the lower end. Unfortunately, the lowest score turned out to be Izuku's. Poor guy, it's a shame he has to go on the first day.

        "Now that you know your rank, I'm just gonna say that I was joking before. No one is going be expelled."

        Everyone let out a huge sigh of relief. "Look's like you're stuck with us Izuku," I say, putting my arm over his shoulder and grinning. He grins back. We talk together with Will and Nico, laughing and telling jokes. 

        Edited on 10/8/2020