Breakfast

Detective Tsukauchi beckons us from the doorway. "Come on boys, we'll stop for breakfast on the way there if you'd like," he moves out into the hallway a bit, still holding the door open. I reach under the bed, snagging the duffel bag's carrying strap and slinging it over my head so that the bag sat diagonal against my back. The detective looks at me, perplexed. "Where'd you get that duffel bag?"

          "We heard a knock at the door late last night, but when Percy went to answer it, all he found was that bag with a note saying it was for us," Will answers calmly as we walk through the door. That dude's poker face amazes me sometimes, but what note? We didn't plan for this ... Will takes a piece of paper out of his pocket and hands it to the detective. He looks it over quickly and nods, handing the note back to Will. "Alright, you can keep the bag. Let's get going," He turns and heads down the hallway towards the front entrance. I pull the others back a bit. 

         "Where'd the note come from Will? That wasn't part of the plan," I say quietly in Ancient Greek.

         "I figured he might have questions if the bag didn't have a note or label saying it was for us, so while you two were going back and forth on excuse options, I tore off a piece of paper from a manifest the nurse had left in our room and jotted down the note, "he pulls it out and shows us. Sure enough it said 'for Will, Percy, and Nico to help them get by'. I smirk. "Not bad." We stop next to Detective Tsukauchi at the front desk where he was conversing with the desk lady.

         "-Alright, thank you. Come on boys, let's get going," he herds us out to his squad car where Mr. Aizawa was waiting in the passenger seat. Will climbs into the back first, followed by Nico, then finally, I climb into the cramped space, pulling the duffel bag onto my lap as I sit down. The detective shuts the door for me and takes his place in the driver's seat. 

         "What's with the duffel bag?" 

         "Someone left it for the boys last night. It came with a note saying what ever was inside was to help them get by while they're here."

         "Hmm. Interesting," Aizawa looks back at the bag and I instinctively pull the bag closer to me, eyeing him warily.

          "Anyways, you boys want breakfast? There's some pretty good places on the way to your guardian's house," The detective looks at us in the rear view mirror, waiting. we look at each other and I shrug. "I could use some food, you guys hungry?" 

          "Not really, but I doubt I have much of a choice," Nico looks pointedly at Will.

          "You need to eat. You're still to thin from your time in you-know-where."

          "Yeah yeah I know."

          "So is that a yes to breakfast?" Detective Tsukauchi asks, eyeing us with curiosity.

          "Yes," Will answers firmly.

          "Alright then let's go." he starts the car and we pull out of the hospital parking lot, turning onto a large boulevard. I look out the window as Will and Nico start bantering again. I wonder how Annabeth's doing. I hope she's doing okay. She's probably worried sick, wondering where I've disappeared off to now. Not to mention I was supposed to take Blackjack out for a flight today. Maybe someone else will do it for me. What was that thing though? Did that weird black mass take anyone else? If so, are they here in this world? Or did they get taken somewhere else? Did me severing those tendrils drop us before we reached wherever the thing was trying to take us? Arg! Too many questions. We need to find out who or what tried to kidnap us and make them send us home ...

           "-rcy! Percy!"

          "Hmm? What?"

          "We're goin 'in for food now, get out." Nico nudges me to move. I open the car door and get out, stretching my back before looking at the building in front of us. It was a McDonald's. Wow, guess this world has has fast food joints too. Huh . We go inside and place our orders, settling down in a window booth while we wait for our food. The detective and Aizawa sit on one side while we sit on the other. 

          "Before we take you to your new guardian's house, we're going to give you some information about him and about your school entrance exam," Aizawa starts, looking at us seriously. "The exam is in three days and will start at 8 am sharp. Your guardian has a son entering the same school as you, so he will take you all there on the day of the exams."

           "Why do we have to take an exam?" Nico grumbles. 

           "It's the way the school works. You'll just have to deal with it. As for you Percy, I know you're a few years older than most of the other examinees are going to be, but the school has made an exception for you, so you'll be in a first year class with the rest of the students who pass."

           "Mr. Aizawa, could you tell us what school you're making us apply at?" Will asks inquisitively.

           "You'll be taking the entrance exam for UA High School, the top hero school in Japan. '

           Hero school?!  The three of us look at each other, incredulous. "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard," Nico scoffs. The two men look at him, eyes narrowed. "Nico don't be rude," Will interjects. 

           "Oh, come on. A school for heroes? What to they think this is? Kindergarten? Ridiculous .."

           "Sorry for my boyfriend. We're all just a bit surprised is all." Will elbows Nico in the ribs.

            "Yeah yeah whatever .."

            At that moment, our order number got called and Aizawa got up to get it, giving Nico a weird look before going. The detective cleared his throat. "Well anyway, let me tell a bit about your guardian. He has three of his kids living with him at the moment, including the one who'll be joining you at the exam. He does have a rather hot temper, so try not to irritate him too much oka- "   

           Clunk . Aizawa sets down two trays of food and resumes his seat on the other side of the table. We all grab what's ours and begin to eat, the two men conversing quietly while we start talking about a funny incident that happened at dinner about a week before we were brought here. Once we all finished eating, we threw away our trash and headed back out to the squad car. 

          "Okay boys, time for you to meet your new guardian."