Chapter five: Blooming friendship

I met Kevin when I was 16 and it was an unforgettable memory I want to bury .... At that time, the only facial expression I know is on how to be serious and how to smile when it is needed. But at the time also, when we were helping the old man I was able to realize how afraid I am when someone collapsed in front of me. Even if I don't know what to do, both of my legs move by themselves and my head is telling, "Help him". Maybe because I remember my father dying in front of me and I couldn't even do anything. I'm just an 8 yrs. Old kid, crying not knowing what to do. Starting that day, I promise myself I'll never let anyone die in front of me again and never because of me again. I feel relaxed knowing the fact that I was able overcome that fear of mine and that day ...him being with my side.... it's comforting. I've witness a 16 year old boy helping someone risking his name not knowing what would be the result ...just to save a person life.

Grandfather always taught me not to risk my name in every uncertain situation. Coz I will put my name in the line. To rich people, your name very important. What you do? What you say? Your posture .... Everything is seen and we need to act like an actor in the stage portraying a specific scene to be liked and praised by others. Kevin was not like that, he knew his bloodline was from Smith family, the 4th best marketing company in china, but he didn't even care. I got curious, starting that day I'm always observing him from a far distance. And I've discovered, seems like his a totally different person in school.

His not talking to anyone, No friends, He hates it when girls bother him, Not giving to much effort in school but he can pass his exams, Swims well, Hates dancing, He can act, He read books but medical stuffs and He loves to take photos and put it on his photo album collection.

How did I know this? Well......

(Smith Mansion)

Aunt Mary: Leonor, I didn't know you're coming. Elaine never told me.....

Leonor: Umm... About that ....Sorry Aunt Mary, I've been calling Elaine since this morning. And she's not answering my calls, the deadline for our project has been moved. We need to finish it or else... (Worried)

Aunt Mary: Oh my dear, but Mary is not here today... she went out with her cousin.

Leonor: Kevin? Really?

Aunt Mary: (LAUGHING BECAUSE OF HER EXPRESSION) No it's Kevin's sister, Kristina. She's back last Friday, the oldest grandchild of master Gavin.

Leonor: Oh I see... right. It would be a disaster if Kevin hangouts with Elaine.

Aunt Mary: Those two... they never get along but they care for each other.Afterall, Kevin cares for his family most especially to Elaine. Kevin stayed here for her, he doesn't want her to become lonely after losing both of her parents last year. Kevin insisted to stay here even though her mom wants him to study in America.

(Leonor is speechless hearing that from Aunt Mary)

Leonor: Then, I think I'll go ahead. I'll contact Elaine about this Aunt Mary. You don't need to inform her. Thank you.

Aunt Mary: Alright, take care dear.

(As she turn around she bumped into someone and lost her balance. But he catches her)

Kevin: I'm sorry I didn't mean it.

Leonor: No it's okay. I should apologize I'm not looking ... (She realizes Kevin is still holding her elbow)

Kevin: (Releases her gently) you seems uncomfortable talking to me?

Leonor: I think that's normal, we never talk in school.

Kevin: Well, fair enough. But we talk in the convenience store before. That one counts.

(Leonor was speechless)

Leonor: Anyways, I gotta go now.

Kevin: Ummm... you're here to do your projects right? The puppet thing?? I'm also doing it now, in the garden. If you don't mind we can help each other. I'm just thinking if you're not planning to do it now I'm sure you'll do it alone in your house, I bet Elaine will not be able to help you. My sister plans to stay in the hotel until tomorrow. I bet Elaine would stay there too, she hates staying here with me. But if you feel uncomfortable its okay, I... (Interrupted)

Leonor: Okay, I'll just get my art materials in the car.

--------- In the garden -------------

(They watched videos on how to make paper puppet and helped each other in making it. Leonor making the puppets while Kevin paints and designs the puppet.)

Leonor: Why did you do this alone? This was supposed to be a by-two project.

Kevin: That's okay, I volunteer. My partner is busy because his been doing a part time job every night to support his other siblings.

Leonor: If that's the case, why did you choose him in the first place? If I'm not mistaken we choose are partners.

Kevin: I choose him.

(Leonor suddenly stops folding the paper)

Kevin: Besides, nobody wants to pair with him.

Leonor: And a lot of your classmates wants to pair up with you. Right?

Kevin: Yep (He smiles at her)

Leonor: You seem pretty popular to girls.

Kevin: You too, seems pretty popular to boys.

(Leonor look on him)

Kevin: Sometimes people talk to us because we have money.

Leonor: you think so? That's why you act cool and live normal.

(Kevin stop's painting and smirk)

Kevin: I don't know where that coming from but I just hate royalty. I don't want to be known because of my grandfather's name neither my father's name. I want to live a normal life. How about you?

Leonor: Well... I want to protect my family. That's all.

Kevin: Very straightforward huh? I'll add that on my list.

Leonor: What did you say? (LOOKING AT HIM WHILE CONFIRMING WHAT HE HEARS)

Kevin: Nothing my lady (TEASING HER)

Leonor: Cut it out.

------------ After an hour ---------------

Leonor: Thank you for helping me today. Please tell Elaine not to worry.... (SARCASTIC FACE)

The projects okay now.

Kevin: (LAUGHS) you also know how to make that face. I though you only knew how to be serious.

Leonor: Are you joking around??

Kevin: No..... I'm........ (Thinking if he offended her)

Leonor: (LAUGHS) I'm just teasing you. See? You saw me smiling. I'm heading out now. Thank you so much.

Kevin: okay, see yah.

---------- Leonor in the car ----------------

Leonor: What a weird personality, totally different from school. He even said "see you". Well, doesn't matter his not even talking to me in school. Oh... It's raining

(As the rain splattered hard against the car's window her gaze reflects on it, she saw herself smiling)

To be continued........