Chapter 4: Peaceful yet in pain

Will

Scars. On her back. Why did she cut herself? I wondered, leaning against the car.

I never would've believed it. I couldn't be mad at her for doing it. I couldn't be mad at her for doing anything. It was like she manipulated me with that genuine smile.

I would've never thought that smile hid any sort of pain.

I felt guilty for using her just to get to Tanya, but I love Tanya. I've always loved her.

I heard a small cough and I turn around to see her standing there. Her shoulders were covered with a small black jacket. Her curls framed her face and her shoulders delicately. She actually looked beautiful. 

Harper and I had known each other since middle school and I've always considered her as one of my closest friends.

Even though my main motive was to get to Tanya, I never wanted to see her get hurt. I needed to know why she hurt herself.

✦✦✦

We walked into the party and I could tell she was intimated by the large crowd of people and the stench of alcohol and cigarettes, but she was trying her best not to show it.

"Will!" Max walks up to me.

"What's up man? Where are the others?"

"Oh, they're just getting really drunk and I'm the designated driver for tonight, so I'm staying away from alcohol," he replied.

I looked behind me and Harper was already talking to Mason. My plan seemed to be working better than I imagined.

I walked away with Max while she was laughing with Mason.

We sat on the couch and I suddenly felt a hand on my chest.

"Hey, Will," Chelsea purred. This girl is beyond annoying.

She climbed on to me, straddling my lap.

"You look so hot when you scowl," she said.

"Chelsea, you're drunk and irritating, and I'm not interested," I said in disgust.

I pushed her off me and got up to find Harper. She better stay out of trouble. I walked around the party for almost half an hour, but I still couldn't seem to find her anywhere.

I tried calling her, but she didn't pick up. I kept on trying until Max ran up to me, breathless

"Harper," he managed to say. That was enough to send into full blow panic. I followed him outside and saw Harper standing on the table, dancing around, dangerously close to the edge. She seemed desperately drunk.