Chapter 7: Fares and Faires

The triplets are still fighting.

"You guys!"

I yell.

Man, they were going at it. I kind of lost track of who was who.

"Hey! You guys?!"

I yell again. But the fighting continues.

Forget them. Maybe this is what I was supposed to find. "Jeremey Rykers" journal? Who is Jeremy Ryker? 'Ryker' is the last name for the founding families. Katrina did talk alot about them. But the shocking part is Minerva Spearman.  Minerva is my ancestor, she was the last of the real witches to burn here in Opal City. I opened to the second page and it reads;

"....First journal entry,

It is 1522,and Mother is stricken by the loss of my younger sister; Opal. She was a beautiful baby girl. But of course, because of the color of our skin....they treated my mother differently when she gave birth this last time. This treatment, this racism....caused us to lose baby Opal. Mother wants a place to call her own, so no one would go through what she did. It did change Mother.....That whole experience. She's a little tougher ....but our family could use some tough love. Especially Dorian, but we are on the road now. And with a brand new life just inches away, I will have my mothers side through it all....."

I snapped out of my thoughts.

" I'm taking the book!"

I say loudly to the mess of hands, feet and legs tussling on the floor. They have superb energy.
However when I said that, they stopped the tussling all together.

"What?!"

They say in unison. With the fighting stopped they got up from the ground. Seemingly, within seconds they united. They walked towards me in unison too.

Jonnathan spoke first;

"Why do you think you should have it??"

He snarled.

"Yeah?"

Agreed Jordan and Joey simultaneously.

I was afraid honestly. They had magic and I had none. If they wanted to, they could end me right then and now. I was coming in between them and a hidden magical item. I decided to bluff. They didn't know I lost my powers and on a good day with my powers, I could easily take them out.

I stood my ground and lowered my voice a little.

"Because I am a Spearman and because I think High Priestess wanted me to have it. It says here it belonged to Min"-

But the triplets interrupted me.

"You can read the pages?!"

They asked me in unison. They stopped advancing.

"Uhhh yeah ...look it clearly says "Jeremey Rykers"-

"Don't say anymore, it CLEARLY wasn't meant for us"

Says Jonnathan eyeballing his brothers.

"You said, High Priestess sent you?"

Asked Jonnathan.

"Yes, Mckao Munroe is missing and I'm tasked with finding him , He's somewhere locked up in Canary Springs...I was gonna ask for a Ferry?"

I asked.

They looked at each other.

Jordan decides this time.

"Fine, just don't tell our Father that we let you keep that. Come on.....the Ferry is docking soon...."

The dock for Fares and Fairies looks different depending on which island you catch it at. The dock in Binary Township looks out onto 'Melinda's Lake', which is the body of water that separates Binary Township from Canary Springs. The pier, which was wooden, held a ticket booth at its entrance. Mist from Melindas Lake creates a barrier of grey that prevents you from looking far out. This is not my first time here. I played here a lot as a child with the triplets. My adoptive parents took part in several charitable events throughout Opal City. Every year in the summer, Canary Springs hosts "Canary Gives Back". Which is an event where Canary Springs residents donate old tech and supplies to the other Borrows. My parents; Selma and Marcus Winters lived in the 10th ward of Canary, while I was still living with them. So, it was field trip to every borrow in the summer. Ugh I hated it. I used to play with the triplets while my mother and father signed frivolous papers and waved in shipments. When we passed the ticket booth, I noticed the flashing lights of a police car parked awkwardly next to the pier. As we approached Mr. Grey (the twins father) he was speaking with police officers.

"Officer Lee, i can't tell you anymore than what I already know....no one caught the Ferry by that name...I'm sure, it would be a spectacle if the Widow caught the Ferry sir"

Mr Grey said looking directly into the officers eyes.

Mr Grey was old. Not old old. But old enough to count his wrinkles. His face held eyes golden like the sun. And his grey and white beard blew in the wind a little.

"I apologize Sir , but we are just doing some follow ups , we got some reports .....some said they saw her here ...this case is still open"

Says Officer Lee standing with his hands on his protruding belly.

This can't be the model for perfect health as an officer. Mr Grey noticed us and flashed us a look. We stopped moving.

"Well follow me Officer... I can help you better in the Ticket Office"

Mr Grey says gesturing towards the booth.

Officer Lee took the cue and headed for the office. Mr Grey turned to us. If you were normal you'd probably believe all the stories about Mr. Grey. They said he was bad shit crazy. Wonkers. But none of that is true. He honestly was the wisest person I know. He looked at me with a frowned beard.

"Hey boy, you alright ? Somethings off with you"

He said looking me up and down.

See, Mr Grey is a witch too. He could probably sense that I'm powerless. I wanted to tell him the truth but I lied.

"I'm fine Sir, I'm just in a hurry that's all"

I replied back quickly.

I took the opportunity to slide in my question.

"Hey, Mr Grey ? Do you mind if I hop on the Canary Ferry? I have something really important to handle."

He still was looking at me. He raised his eyebrow then exhaled.

"Mhmm whatever you say. Yeah that's fine...but these three have to stay here and run the ferry while I talk to this idiot in the booth"

Mr Grey said slowly making his way to the ticket booth.

"What?!"

The twins yell at once.

"Man that's stupid!"

Jonnathan says loudly.

Mr Grey flashed a look.

Jordan exhales.

"You heard the man, we on Ferry duty today"

"Good luck bro"

Says Jonnathan.

The boys walked me to the dock, the Ferry for Canary Springs was just leaving. We waved at each other before Jordan and Joey began bickering again. I rolled my eyes and boarded the Ferry. The inside reminded me of an vintage train carriage. I sat in the window seat and began to read more of Jeremey's Journal to pass the time;

"Journal Entry #10

.....Today is the battle of the Djinn!! We have found our new land!!! And it is glorious!! We are claiming it today. The savages who live here now are all abominations in Jesus's Name!! They can conjure the elements! And even enter your Minds Eye. But we made them weak!! Our cousin Lance is inventive when it comes to weapons. He created a dagger that absorbs the very energy these servants of evil wield! With the Hanging of Phoenix, their foul leader, we were able locate the last head demon....Desiree Arezou...."