Chapter 3

Evie was right, The gargoyles were ugly. Really really ugly things, with snaggly teeth and fork tongues. I couldn't look away as Carlos couldn't looked away. The first gargoyle asked "who goes there?" The second said you cannot pass. Carlos was braved when he fought back. We looked at eachother nervous, we had no way there would be gargoyles nor had expected a fight. There was a riddle, ye who trespass the bridge must earn the right of way.

I was annoyed at the gargoyles, I yelled at them to asked us your questions. At that moment I sounded like my mother when she yelled at her minions. Carlos told me he was impressed after we came home. The gargoyles said Carlos's name. Carlos was confused but it was better him then Jay that's what Jay said. The gargoyles asked the first question
"Ink spot in the snow, Or red, rough, and soft. Black and wet, warm and fast. Loved and lost- what am I?" After they had finished speaking, the bridge starting rumbling again. Evie stumbling as she tried to stand straight in place. Evie cried out Carlos name. Carlos thought it over before answering the puppies all 101 of them. All loved and lost by cruella. He even told all 101 names of the puppies. I was impressed even I couldn't remember it, too many to remember. The mist cleared a way to another section of the bridge that had not existed before. The next question more like a riddle.

"Like a rose in a blizzard
It blooms like a cut
A red smear
Her kiss is death"

The bridge had started to shift beneath our feet. Carlos answered his mother's name. The bridge began to shake even harder. Evie had figured it  was about Cruella's lipstick. Who knew her makeup expertise was needed. Evie thought it was Cherries in the Snow color lipstick but it wasn't the right answer. Evie began thinking that Cruella's lipstick was darker red. She figured out that Cruella's lipstick was Fire and Ice. I still don't get makeup even after all those years I became friends with. Makeup is too confusing. The gargoyles paused before the mist once congealed around the bridge, then thinned to revealed another section. Carlos relaxed while Jay cheered and I well I clapped on the back before advanced across the bridge. The last question asked was.

"Dark is her heart
Black like the sky above
Tell us, young travelers-
What is her one true love?"

As soon as they finished speaking, they walked towards us, teeth shining, claws raised, wings flapping. Ready to tear us apart. Carlos had to get it right not just to cross the bridge but to keep us alive. We all thought  dark is her heart was about my mother but it could mean any of our mothers? Carlos asked at that time. I told him that my mother doesn't have any true love. Mother doesn't love nothing and nobody not even me and that hurt. I learned that years ago. I don't even bothered trying to gained her affections. I already have someone who loves me without asking for anything in returned. Jay doesn't have a mother so he was out. Evie's mother loves beauty, Evie said at the time. Even though it was a little cliche. The gargoyles went closer asking "WHAT IS HER ONE TRUE LOVE?"

I had asked my father, I tried but it wasn't it, I should've realized that mother hates my father because it was a moment of weakness to her. The gargoyles was closing in on us, they were taller then we realized. "WHAT IS HER ONE TRUE LOVE" the gargoyles asked again. The Dragons eye, next was evie who yelled being the Fairest One of all, her or me. Next was Jay who did it just for a laugh, Jafar, Prince of Pajamas. The bridge shaking so much that it looked like the gargoyles were shaking their heads. Evie lost her balance and slipped, almost falling over the slide, but Carlos managed to catch her in time. Jay held on to a crumbling post and held out his hand to carlos so that he can hold on to him forming a link  to Evie. Jay couldn't hold on much longer. Evie screamed as she dangled off the bridge. Couldn't blame her though, I probably be just like her if I was in position. Carlos was clinging to one of her blue gloves, which was slipping out of one at a time.

Carlos screamed while asking me what was my mothers one true love. "WHAT IS HER ONE TRUE LOVE? ANSWER THE RIDDLE OR FALL INTO DARKNESS," the gargoyles said. I tried to answer again with Diablo but the result of it was the bridge buckled under my feet causing me to slide down, only by luck managing to hold onto Jay, who was anchoring everyone. I think Harry would be scared for me if he was there with me.

The entire castle was shaking. Stones flew down from its ramparts, and the towers threatened to crumbled on top of us. The bridge began to sway dangerously. Jay finally figured out that it wasn't asking about my mother, it was talking about Carlos's mother, Cruella. I think Carlos didn't want to say it because he didn't want it to be true that's why kept asking me. He yelled her furs! Fur is her one true love. He told us that all she cares about was her fur closet. At that time was one of the times we bonded during the adventure because we have something in common, our parents don't care about us maybe Evie's mother might care for her but I'm not really sure. The bridge stopped swaying, no more rumbling, no one was falling over the side, and the gargoyles had all turned back to stone. We rested a bit to cover our breathing before continuing on. Carlos shakily looked at the box in box and pointed this way.