Chapter 39- Bomb Drop

Nikolai

I haven't been able to sleep for the last few days. Holland sat across from me in my office but hadn't said a thing since he's gotten in.

Like he was afraid to speak.

My beast was restless and angry. Holland could sense it so he was cautious of me.

"Nikolai?" Holland calls my name and my eyes shift to his. "You wanted to talk about Alpha Ricky?"

Alpha Ricky.

That name sounded familiar. But I couldn't remember exactly where I'd heard it.

"Yes," I said with a grunt and run my hand over my face. I hadn't thought of shaving my face for the last few days. Solus turned away from us, our pack, from me. "That tiny pup and his father are offering us a proper welcoming party."

"Didn't we do that ourselves?" Holland says.

"Yes, but we need to be team players. We'll attend this party to save face. To make the little ones happy. As for the alpha, he hasn't set a date. But notify everyone and let them know they need to behave."

"Okay." Holland says but he doesn't move.

"Is there anything else?"

He sits up straight and I exhale waiting for him to speak.

"Winter's here and she wants to talk to you."

"Why would that faerie need to speak with me?" I sit up as my eyebrows knit together.

"She wouldn't say. But I have her waiting just in-"

"Send her in."

A few minutes later the tiny pink fae comes in. Dressed in nothing but pink. Her essence glittering and spreading around us. Holland leaves giving us both some privacy, no doubt overwhelmed by her aura.

"I know you weren't expect me to drop by." She says. "I came to invite you to the Design Gala my colony is hosting."

"Design Gala?"

"A show of each interior designers skills, set in rooms and people walk through them to feel the atmosphere and it helps promote the company to the humans."

"Okay?" I say unclear as to why she's telling me this.

"I'm inviting you because Sol will also be there."

My eyes flicker open to hers and she sighs.

"I didn't even ask what happened. But I've noticed that you haven't been around and she refuses to even say your name." Winter says and takes a seat just where Holland sat.

My beast claws from inside of me. He wanted to see Sol. Make her understand that he isn't a liar. But held back knowing that it might do more harm than good.

"So why are you inviting me when you know she doesn't want to see me?"

"Because I still believe in mates. I do think Sol is making a mistake with you, turning you away."

"So you're helping me? What's in it for you?"

"I want to see my friend happy again and Sol is a lot more fragile than she realizes. She needs a consistent person in her life. Who's better than her mate?"

Winter sits back in the seat and crosses her legs. Her monochromatic pink wardrobe is like a sore in the middle of my dark wood office. It made me wonder how she managed to squeeze herself into Sol's life.

Just as I'm about to respond Victor bursts in through the door. He looks just as drained as I am and he reeks of Sol's scent.

"Victor?" Winter stands up as she sees him. "You look, a little filthy if I'm honest."