Chapter 40- Sex in the Air

I had to force shift so my hair could grow some. It fell into my eyes and stopped at the top of my ears and the base of my neck. An effortless boyish pixie cut.

If I was gonna be Winters date to this thing the least I could do was look good. But I know, I'm only using this gala as an excuse to not think about what happened the day before.

I hadn't heard anything from Winter all day as I was getting ready. The night came and I stood outside Winters door waiting for her to come out.

I dressed in tight black slacks that had gold detailing on the sides and over the pockets. A tight bodice like crop top that pushed up my breasts and had the same gold detailing around the cups and straps. A matching coat that reached to the back of my knees and of course match with the same gold detailing and intricate patterns the rest of the outfit had.

I had on a simple winged liner but traced over with gold liner, eyeliner mascara, and a bold black lip. I even took time to paint my nails black.

I had on black knee high boots that boosted my height by about four inches and chose simple gold studs for earrings.

Winter came out of her house and stopped dead in her tracks when she saw me. She was dressed in a long glittering baby powder pink evening gown that hugged her curves. Matching stiletto heels, and rose gold jewelry. Her hair was smoother, and styled into a clean updo with tendrils escaping to frame her face. Her wings draped behind her as she held a pink clutch.

"You look stunning as usual." I say as I cross my arms.

"You look good too." She says as he eyes look ready to pop out of her sockets.

"You ready?" I ask not wanting to stretch this evening out longer.

"Yeah, we have a driver on the way." She says and closes the door behind her. "But you do look good, Sol. Are you okay?"

Be honest.

"Not in the slightest." I answer truthfully, we make our way down the hall to the elevator, but it's a slow walk.

"Victor told us what Amber did. Oh that girl just makes me so mad! And I haven't even met her yet!" She huffs. "I'm sorry she did that to you."

"Im just done with it. For the sake of my own sanity I need to be done with it. Every time she comes near me, or I think about her, it's like everything in me just wants to give out." I say and we step into the elevator.

"I can't even imagine her reasons for doing that. It's almost as if she enjoys making you hurt." I shake my head and smirk.

"I'm up for a bit of pain as much as the next person, but in this case, I'm just a little too sensitive." I pause and turn my eyes to Winter. "What do you mean us?"

"What?"

"You said earlier that Victor told us what happened to you. So who's us?" Winter swallows down her nervousness and turns fully towards me.

"I went to go talk to Nikolai yesterday, it was just business but half way through our conversation, Victor came in and told us about what happened to you. That was just a coincidence, I swear."

The elevator doors open and we exit out onto the lobby. Winter is the first to leave, her wings flowing behind her as she makes her way to the exit. I follow closely behind and see a car waiting for us.

***

After a silent car ride in the city, we pull up outside a large building with paparazzi and reporters lined up outside. People passing through the crowd as the part like the Red Sea. Each of them dressed like it's the oscars, silk gowns and suits, diamonds and emeralds, rubies hanging off the swan necks of the bourgeoisie.