✧ 15 || Unrequited ✧

Chikara Ennoshita's POV

"Oh... that makes way more sense! Thanks, Enno!" Tanaka said.

The nickname itself was enough to make me blush. After insisting on it, I decided to let him call me that. He claimed that it sounded way better. I still couldn't get used to it.

Tanaka told me he needed some extra help with his math, and so I decided to let him come to my house the day after the study meet-up. We both were sitting in my room on the bed watching the rain as we worked.

"Do you think Kiyoko will like me more when she finds out how I'm getting better at math?" Tanaka asked with a beaming smile.

I sighed with disappointment, trying to hide the odd burning feeling that stung my heart. "Just finish your work, Tanaka. Your teachers would like you more for it."

"I think you're just jealous because I'm closer with Kiyoko," he said with a chuckle, nudging my arm.

"Just finish your work, Tanaka!"

He grumbled something under his breath before working on the next question. I tried to hold back a smile. He was so immature sometimes, but he was also so funny.

Everything seemed so stressful. I couldn't handle the thought of having to carry the team as the captain next year, and neither could I carry the thought of losing my friends due to something as simple as a transition in life. I couldn't handle the thought of all of the new games that were coming up, and all of the exams I'd have to study for.

But in that moment, I felt okay.

The sound of the rain washed away any sort of uneasiness I felt. Just the gentle taps of water hitting the ground melted this world into something I could call my own. It was just me and Tanaka, encompassed in a small room, without the worries of the world weighing down on us. There was no other way to describe how beautiful it was to feel comfort, to feel the breeze of life finally slow down for me to catch up to.

And I knew I'd be okay.

I wanted to clutch my chest as I looked at him, the ache it throbbed with tinged with both content and sadness. I wasn't sure why, though.

The sound of a notification coming from his phone broke the silence. He picked it up and looked at the message he received,

"Oh, I have to go," he said with a frown.

I helped him finish his last question before packing everything up with him. I led him to the door and welcomed the brisk gust of wind that rushed inside. He stepped outside, fully prepared for the weather after I told him to wear a jacket and to take a beanie and scarf of mine. Surprisingly, he didn't hesitate, which I found odd but convenient.

"Bye, Enno! Thanks for the help!"

I smiled. "Bye," I said softly as I watched him fade into the scenery in front of me, his silhouette being engulfed by the heavy fog that hung from the air.

I stood there, trying to hold onto the vestige of his soul that lingered there in the rain long after he had left. My heart felt this odd pain. It was as if it was the very last time I'd see him, which I knew wasn't the case. So why did I feel that way?

I eventually snapped out of my trance and decided to leave things how they were. I closed the door and locked it before walking up to my room and throwing myself onto my bed. Staring at the ceiling didn't help, so I decided to pick up my phone and call Suga.

He picked up pretty quickly, but I couldn't expect less from such a reliable person.

"Hello! How'd the date go?"

I almost chocked on my spit.

"Date? What's that supposed to mean?" I said quickly as I sat up.

"I'm just kidding," Suga said with a chuckle. "Anyways, what's up?"

I sighed. "Suga, it's happening again... I feel weird."

I could hear a very loud exhale on the other side of the phone. "And you still haven't figured it out?"

"...I was supposed to?"

And again, another exhale. "Well yes, you were supposed to."

I raised my arms into the air before letting them drop on the bed, making the sound of a thud. "Why don't you just tell me then?"

"Would you believe me if I told you that you are in love?"

Silence.

"I am in... what?"

He didn't respond, but it was enough of a response for me.

"In love? With who? And why? Do you even know what you're talking about?"

And then came his third sigh. "Ennoshita, I'm going to hang up. You can figure this out on your own because I am sure you'll end up believing it once you come to the conclusion yourself."

Without a goodbye, the phone call ended.

I was tempted to call him again but instead I bit my lip and dropped my phone on the bed and thought about what he said. In love? But with who? And why?

I clutched my chest and looked out the window, watching the serene world go on about its day. Well, whatever it is, I hope to get over it soon.

✧✦✧

As I am writing this, I am currently listening to the music box version of Tiny Light and I also have some rain sounds in the background (the website is called A Soft Murmur, I would highly recommend) and it sounds ethereal. Truly.

I really look forward to watching the anime, but at the moment I am a bit busy with the things happening in my life. Have any of you seen it? I'd like to hear about it!

We have finally reached the end of the first arc! I really hope this book of mine was worth reading so far. I've given it everything I have, so I hope you can accept this bit of my soul that I've left for the world to see.

This right here has to be one of my favourite excepts of my writing:

"But in that moment, I felt okay.

The sound of the rain washed away any sort of uneasiness I felt. Just the gentle taps of water hitting the ground melted this world into something I could call my own. It was just me and Tanaka, encompassed in a small room, without the worries of the world weighing down on us. There was no other way to describe how beautiful it was to feel comfort, to feel the breeze of life finally slow down for me to catch up to.

And I knew I'd be okay."

I hope to feel that someday.

And you guys deserve it, too.

With love,
Kiri