✧ 20 || Again and Again ✧

Tobio Kageyama's POV

"It feels odd not setting to you." I broke the silence after a moment. He looked up from our hands and frowned.

"I want to play volleyball with you again."

Maybe to others that didn't seem like a big deal, but it stung to hear the slight bit of sadness that tinged his words.

He looked away. "Just for a little bit—" A cough interrupted his sentence, and so he brought his mouth to the crook of his other arm. His determined, mischievous eyes met mine. "Can we sneak outside and play volleyball?"

I smiled and got ready to nod aggressively but then I stopped myself. "Wait, what? No! That's a stupid idea, dumbass!" I yelled.

Not that I was any smarter. The only reason why I stopped him was because I was scared Natsu would find out and rip my head right off.

He frowned and coughed again. "Okay..."

I couldn't stand to see him sad. "Well uh... We were actually able to get some games with Nekoma!" The lie slipped out of my mouth faster than I could stop it.

Hinata's face lit up and he sat up straighter. "Really?"

Shit.

I scratched the back of my head and looked away, not daring to meet his lovable eyes. "Uh... mhm."

I guess I can just beg for one...

"Well that's good," he said, the cheery tone of his voice offsetting the whisper of his words.

He let go of my hand and leaned back against his pillows. "Thank you for coming," he said quietly, "because I've been getting bored all alone."

He looked down at his hands—something he always did with a smile when we played volleyball. But this time, there was a frown on his face.

The rain running down the window caught my eyes. And so I sat there, lost in thought.

Light snores snapped me out of my trance. I looked over to see a peaceful Hinata sleeping, his chest slightly rising with each breath he took in his slumber. I couldn't hold back my small smile.

"You're so cute when you sleep," I mumbled.

I brought my elbow to my thigh and rested my chin in my hand. I tilted my head slightly, smiling even wider. And like that, everything I've ever wanted to say to this lovable dumbass spilled out of my mouth.

"Oh god, Hinata. Can I call you Shoyo? I'm calling you Shoyo because you're asleep right now," I mumbled to myself as if he was listening. "Shoyo, you have no idea how much I want to say to you..."

And at first, I didn't even know where to start. How could I? He was my world, and to explain the world to the world itself seemed impossibly complicated.

"I don't even think it's possible to love someone as much as I love you..." I laughed to myself. "Yeah, that sounds cliché and all but you make me so painfully cliché. You make the simplest things so heartfelt, so achingly beautiful. I used to dread having to play with you, but now, I ache to be by your side, Shoyo."

I didn't know if it was my imagination, but I swear I could see the smallest smile on his face.

"I'll never look at the rain the same way again, because oh my god that day was so beautiful. It was just us standing in the rain, but I'll never forget it. You make me fall in love with you again and again. Your smile, your laugh, your spikes, your existence, it's all so, so beautiful. You've torn my heart out of my chest so many times because of how painfully lovable you are, and I'll let you do that again and again. And though you leave me with a void behind, I'll let you keep this heart forever.

"I want you to be my spiker. I want to send sets to you.

"Again.

"And again.

"And again."

✧✦✧

Pfft—

That was a funny way to reference a sad oneshot of mine. It's not foreshadowing, I promise.

Unless...

No, no, I'm kidding.

But...

Anyways, ah, I very much dislike this chapter. This is going to be one of the most hilariously ridiculous statements you'll hear in your life: I do not, in any way, know how to write romance.

Which is fucking hilarious because this entire book is about romance and basically almost everything I've written has a romantic aspect. I think it is far too late for me to say this, but uhhhhhhhhhh :DDDDD

* Extreme self-doubt rant. Skip over if you don't care *

Anyways, I hope you liked this? Here we go again, my self-doubt is finally kicking in. My writing is so extra, which is mostly the reason why people quit this book but thanks for staying? The story itself is hm. Interesting, to say the least. Don't worry, I've known for a while how much this book sucks, but there's literally nothing more I can do now, because I'm 20 chapters in—

Literally most of my writing is repetitive and redundant, which is absolutely frustrating to read, I know it is. I'm not sure if it's just my inner critic saying this or if it's true though, because I proofread my work so many times that it gets tiring to read with all of the mini details, but it might be how it is for everyone reading my works. I like my oneshots way more than I like this.

* End of rant *

Alrightyyyy here ya goooo

I chose Strawberry Blonde for this part because it's such a sweet song. It's kind of sad but I still love it :D

Anyways, if you liked this part, feel free to vote! We're 20 chapters in, so thank you for being here :D

With love,
Kiri