41 | noah

The rehearsal begins a few moments later

The rehearsal begins a few moments later. Despite how nervous I'd been upon my arrival, I feel oddly at ease as I proceed to get ready to walk down the aisle alongside Blake.

The first to descend the aisle is the flower girl, Ava, a daughter of a cousin of Mia's whom Mia used to babysit often. The five-year-old's hair appears golden as the sun beams down on her, and she grins as she grabs handfuls of red rose petals and tosses them into the wind.

The next to make their way down the aisle is Violet and Asher, arm-in-arm as the guests turn in their seats to watch the wedding party's arrival. Asher pats Thorne's shoulder as he passes him on his way to the groom's side of the podium. I don't miss the nervous smile Thorne offers him.

Jay and Charlie follow soon afterwards. Charlie's hand intertwines with Violet's once she joins her wife on the bride's side of the podium where Mia will soon be standing. Jay takes his place next to Asher, standing closest to Thorne.

Blake and I are set to walk down the aisle next. I turn to the radiant blonde net to me, the sly grin I sport working as a perfect insight to what I'm feeling. I know I should be nervous, yet I'm not. With Blake by my side, what could go wrong?

Extending an arm to Blake, I prompt, "Shall we?"

Blake's warm gaze meets mine as she offers me a coy smile. Wrapping her arm through mine, she murmurs, "We shall."

We approach the aisle, arm-in-arm and side-by-side. Having Blake on my arm feels natural and somewhat calming. I hardly notice the eyes of the guests watching us as we walk. I'm all too focused on the girl I'm walking with, as she's the only thing that matters to me in the moment.

I catch Jess's gaze as I make my way toward the podium. She is quick to shoot me a knowing glance and proud smile. Jess knows exactly how I feel about Blake Rhodes, and I think part of her hopes for the same ending I do when it comes to me and Blake. Continuing with my stride, I also notice Blake's family, along with my own. It's adorable when Charlotte jumps up in Caroline's lap once she spots me, releasing an excited cry of, "No-no!"

All too soon, I have to depart from Blake. My skin feels cold with the loss of her touch, and I linger next to her a moment longer than I should. However, Blake does too, which has me wondering if I'm not the only one between the two of us who isn't quite ready to let go of the other.

Blake gives me one last polite smile before glancing away shyly, wandering off to take her place next to Violet and Charlie. I take this as my cue to hurry up and get into my own position. I smirk as I pass a smug-looking Thorne, taking my spot next to Jay.

The last to walk down the aisle before the appearance of the bride are the maid of honor and best man, Emmie and Wells. It's impossible to miss the giggle Emmie quickly tries to cover with her hand as she begins her strut down the aisle, obviously trying to compose herself as she loops her arm through Wells's. Wells is smirking in that way of his that means he is trying to impress a girl, and I'm not oblivious to what's playing out before me. A quick glance over my shoulder at Asher tells me I'm not the only one who has come to the conclusion that Emmie and Wells are flirting. By the way Asher's stance suddenly becomes tense and rigid, I can sense that he doesn't like what he's watching.

I get a feeling that a love triangle is at play here. I'm glad to have no part in it.

Wells and Emmie separate once reaching the end of the aisle. Emmie shoots Wells a playful smile that he is quick to return before taking his place next to me. I don't miss the pointed glance Emmie shoots in Asher's direction on her way to the bridesmaid's side of the podium, quickly looking away as she goes to stand next to Blake. I raise my eyebrows as I look down at my feet, shaking my head and biting back a smile.

Last, though certainly not least, to have her turn to walk down the aisle is Mia McHenry. The guests all rise as Mia approaches, her arm wrapped tightly around her father's. Mia's gaze is excitedly trained on Thorne's, her smile so bright it could literally replace the sun itself. Thorne stares right back at her, his expression soft, contrasting sharply with his troublesome personality.

As she stares at Thorne, Mia misses the way her father's gaze remains lovingly focused on his daughter, tears welling in his eyes. I can see the love a parent feels for their child reflected in Mr. McHenry, physically able to feel how strong that kind of love is. In Mr. McHenry's eyes it's clear to see that the love he has for his daughter is a bond that can never be broken. I think to myself how lucky Mia is to have that in her life.

Mr. McHenry reluctantly releases his hold on Mia as they reach the podium, smiling over at his daughter as she smiles at Thorne. He proceeds to turn to Thorne and shake his hand. The two of them share a look, as if some unspoken deal is being passed between them. Then Mr. McHenry wanders over to the guests, taking his seat in the front row next to his wife.

The guests take their seats as the practice run of the vows and ring exchange takes place. My mind begins to slip, not intentionally, but because my gaze has landed on Blake and I find that I can't look away.

Studying her, I can't deny how remarkably beautiful she is. Not just her appearance, but her soul. Blake Rhodes is simply a light that enters a room and fills it to the brim with nothing but love and reassurance. I still owe her for saving me all those years ago, for spreading that light of hers into the cracks in my armor that had formerly been filled with nothing but darkness. Until I met Blake Rhodes, I had never known genuine happiness. I had never experienced the kind of love I felt for her. The kind of love that makes you put others before yourself, the kind of love that drives you wild whilst completing you, the kind of love that gives a person purpose.

As my gaze trails Blake, I find myself thinking that if my sole purpose on this earth was to love her, I'd be perfectly okay with that. I can think of nothing better than to get to spend the rest of my life always being there for her, waking up next to her in the mornings, being strong for her when she feels weak, reminding her of how beautiful she is when she doesn't see herself the way I do, holding her hand in mine when she needs reassurance that she is enough. There's nothing I wouldn't give if it meant that I could have that life. I'd give up everything I have to make things right with her.

Thinking of this, I realize that if I feel so strongly about having a life with Blake, then I have to fight for it. I can't just give up on us. Life without Blake Rhodes is a life I don't want to live. Three years without her has driven me insane.

It's as if my thoughts summon her. Blake suddenly glances up, her eyes instantly meeting mine. I expect her gaze to quickly flicker away, for her to pretend she hasn't caught me staring and to move on. I'm surprised when she holds my stare, her cheeks turning pink as she looks right at me as unabashedly as I look at her.

Staring into her eyes that have yet to stray from mine, I wonder if I'm the only one between the two of us who is willing to fight for our future.

____

a/n: "and my words shoot to kill when i'm mad, i have a lot of regrets about that" - this is me trying by taylor swift. i have never related to such a simple lyric more.

 i have never related to such a simple lyric more