55 | blake

"I still don't see it," Grayson mumbles as he takes a seat at the table

"What do you mean?" Brooke asks with a skeptical gaze. "You're identical twins."

Grayson rolls his eyes as the rest of my family takes their places at the table, Noah sitting in his honorary seat next to me. My father passes around the salad bowl as Grayson continues the conversation, dramatic as always.

"We don't look that much alike," Grayson mutters. He scoops some salad onto his plate before passing the bowl to Brooke. "I mean, I'm getting tired of Mrs. Hayes getting us confused. It's kind of insulting."

"Dude," Reeve deadpans, shooting Grayson a glare as he passes, holding the salad bowl in midair. "I'm sitting right here."

Grayson stares at Reeve blankly. "Yeah, I can see that."

Reeve narrows his eyes. "That means I can hear you."

Grayson glances at Reeve like he finds him stupid. "Well, I would hope so."

Reeve shakes his head, mumbling under his breath about how pointless it is to converse with Grayson. I try not to laugh aloud as Reeve hands me the salad bowl. I share a knowing glance with Noah as I pass the bowl along to him.

I recall one of the first nights Noah ever came to my house, when a smilier conversation had passed between my brothers. At the time, they'd only been twelve, but I guess some things don't change no matter how much time passes.

"Hey, Noah!" Mom exclaims as she enters the kitchen. She beams as she falls into her seat next to Dad.

"Hi, Mrs. Rhodes," Noah says politely, still sticking to formalities. I count down the seconds in my head until my mother responds, knowing exactly what she's going to say.

My suspicions are confirmed when Mom says, "Please, Noah. Call me Stacy."

I smile to myself as I await Noah's response, as it is always the same as well.

"Sure thing, Mrs. Rhodes."

Noah and I have dinner at my parents at least once a week, and usually the same routine occurs before my family makes the night . . . interesting, to say the least. I can't deny that it is nice to have Noah around again. I can tell my family is pleased by his presence. Sometimes I find myself wondering who really missed Noah the most: myself, my parents, or my siblings.

"No hi for me?" my dad teases, smiling at my mother. She rolls her eyes good naturally in response to his attempt at humor.

"Hi, John," Mom retorts.

"I was talking to Noah, honey."

We all crack up at my father's joke, and even Mom struggles to resist a smile.

Biting back a grin, Noah says, "Hey, Mr. Rhodes."

Dad points a finger at Noah, expression mock-serious as he deadpans, "I don't care what Stacy says, it will always be Mr. Rhodes to you. Got it?"

"Yes, sir," Noah responds with a curt nod. I can tell that my dad makes Noah just the slightest bit nervous. Noah doesn't know this, and I don't think me or my father are going to go out of our way to tell him, but my dad has always had a soft spot for Noah. This probably has a little something to do with the fact that our fathers are best friends, which means my dad witnessed the first few years of Noah's childhood. He's always considered Noah to be family.

Moments later, we hold hands as Dad says grace. After prayer, we eat, conversation flowing easily. In moments like this, surrounded by the people I love most, I feel the happiest. It's as if there is nothing that could bring me down. I suppose that's the power of love. It can make you feel indestructible.

Beneath the table, Noah takes my hand in his own, touch gentle. I glance over at him, smiling as our gazes lock. Around him, it's like a smile is permanently painted onto my lips.

Noah returns the feature, gaze softening as he glances at me. I find myself wondering how I got lucky enough to find someone who can prove how much they love me with nothing but a look.

"Earth to Blake!" Jackie cries, snapping me out of my trance. I blush as I turn to my younger sister.

Jackie stares at me and Noah with faint disgust, blurting, "Is that what happens to someone when they fall in love? They go all googly-eyed? Cause if that's how it works, I don't want it to happen to me."

My family and Noah burst into laughter at Jackie's statement, which seems to confuse her. She gazes back at us with furrowed eyebrows before shrugging, returning her attention to her food as if she has no care in the world.

I glance at Noah with a knowing gleam shining in my eyes, sharing a look with him.

After all, there's no one else I'd rather go googly-eyed for.

____

a/n: y'all. i am literally having the worst week. about to get sort of tmi but basically i cannot stop throwing up and i have gone to the hospital twice and they have literally done nothing? like they treated me for a uti...and um. hello? i am puking. i went back today and sat in a waiting room for four hours and THERE WAS ONLY THREE OTHER PEOPLE THERE. all they did was blood test me. also they had me go into an actual room, change into a gown, hook me up to machines, just for the doctor to come in and tell me i could leave. plus a lot of other emotional stuff be going on, but yk. it issss what it isssss.

 it issss what it isssss