♡13♡ Family (UPDATED 03/11/2022)

REFLECTIONS

It wasn't her intention to become best friends with her nurse, but they had so much in common that she was simply moved to share her life with her caretaker in a way it was hard to actually explain. In truth, she was fully aware of Kylin's need for closeness as much if not more than what she required for herself. Even though the nurse made an earnest attempt to maintain a professional distance, she became someone who was regarded by the Yates as a valued member of their family.

The ladies continued their routine as friends. Ruthanne finally opened up to Kylin about all that she too had lost before her illness became the focal point of her life. In her nurse, she felt the freedom to admit her fear of what was to come after not truly fulfilling all the duties of a wife.

"What do you mean?" It was as if a question mark appeared on her nurse's forehead as she listened to her patient reveal secrets she hadn't revealed to anyone other than her husband.

"I've always craved the joy of becoming a mother. A sweet little juicy baby with tiny feet and itty bitty hands has been the one thing I could never give my husband, and I have regretted it every day of my life." She finally whispered the words that haunted her consciousness.

Kylin's furrowed brows forced her to make it all plain and clear. She desperately felt it was time to release the burden of the secret she had carried around for the last six years.

"I had three miscarriages... two little boys and one little girl," Ruthanne confessed as she stared out the window. The sound of Kylin's breath hitching in her throat brought the sickly woman back to their conversation to find that her care provider's mouth had frozen in a small 'O'. She reached out and patted the younger woman's hand.

"I'm so sorry. I... uhmm... never expected you to say that." Kylin looked away a bit confused by the confession.

"It's okay. It's not like it's your fault. I'm sorry to put something so heavy on you. It's just that... I haven't had anyone else that I felt comfortable to share my loss with until I met you." Ruthanne commented as she wrapped a light blanket around herself to protect against a chill that only she felt.

"I understand how hard it can be to talk to others about the loss of a child. Most people don't understand how you feel. They want you to get over it quickly and heal in their time. They don't understand we all must grieve in our own way." The words flowed without thought as tears accompanied her connection with her patient's suffering.

As the women confessed the smothering pains they had carried around in their souls, Rhys listened from right outside the room. Tears flowed from both sides of that door for what had already occurred and what they collectively knew was to come.

For once, since she lost her family, Kylin allowed herself to mourn and grieve their passing. No counselor, co-worker, family, or friend was successful at helping her to let it all out the way Ruthanne had unselfishly allowed her nurse to lose herself. Kylin cried until she was too weak to stand and Ruthanne joined in her lamentation.

Completely rung out after their crying session, the ladies rested on the sofa only to drift off to sleep once so much mental weight had been released.

Kylin's actions were totally against her company's policy. To allow herself to become so intricately entangled in a patient's life, was unprofessional on so many levels. Even though she always followed the rules, for once, since the last time her husband held her in the safety of his arms, Kylin was able to drift into a peaceful night's sleep. It was only due to the time she spent acknowledging her hurt instead of running away from it.

♡♡♡

The morning alarm blaring from her phone forced Kylin right out of the deep sleep she was thoroughly enjoying. Sunshine confirmed her suspicions that it was another day. Her mind drifted back to the previous evening when the two ladies passed out next to one another on the sofa. Since she knew exactly where that occurred, Kylin was alarmed to find that somehow she had been placed on the bed in one of the guest bedrooms.