♡10♡ Her Broken Heart (UPDATED 03/11/2022)

(MONDAY, JUNE 29, 2015)
MINISTER YATES

For a moment, a few eager tears raced down her cheeks. The quickness with which her hands swiped them away would convince anyone no tears had ever been present. Rhys found that a broken vessel had been in his presence all along and he was too focused on his wife's ailment to exercise his calling.

Ministering to those in need was the work he was commissioned to do or at least that's what he'd believed his whole life. That meant a great deal to him until he was forced to watch as his wife faded further and further away from the world.

To witness the diminishing of her light, weakened him in a way that was previously unimaginable. He would even go so far as to say that it built a sort of resentment in his heart.

A long time of listening to people sing the praises of his gifts made it unacceptable to him to sit and watch from the sidelines as his best friend, closest confident, and the woman he loved more than he loved himself withered away before his eyes.

Her suffering seemed beyond the power of his prayers.

Rhys came to the conclusion that he might not have the answers to cure her. A reckoning made him consider that even though God was all-powerful, He might not cure Ruthanne or move the mountain in her life and there wasn't a thing he could do about it.

She was losing her fight before him and nothing in him was prepared for what he'd witnessed so far. He cried out to God in prayer to give him the power to heal her ravaged body and restore her to His service.

Unfortunately for them, there was no answer.

No matter how much he cried... no matter how much he prayed... no answer.

The only glimmer of joy that was found in the midst of her suffering was the friendship built between his flower and the woman who was only supposed to be with them for two weeks... originally.

Rhys watched the nurse as she fidgeted in her seat and listened for what drew tears to her eyes. He wasn't prepared for her story or the pain she had learned to hide so well.

The needs of one of God's children should have been something he picked up on, but he was so affected by his wife's suffering that he had momentarily missed an opportunity to share the truth.

He continued to monitor their conversation as the sight of tears melted chunks of ice from his heart as he waited patiently for the nurse to answer the question.

♡♡♡

(MONDAY, JUNE 29, 2015)
KYLIN

She had been hiding for so long, Kylin grew a thick skin giving her the strength to forget it all. Month after month, she found her walk with Christ tested in a way she could never recall as she questioned how and why she had to lose everything.

Finally, she shut it all down. Kylin stopped talking about them, and if anyone asked her a question about her family, she would politely tell them... "No. I can't."

Pretty soon, her friends and co-workers made sure no one asked any questions about the tragedy that changed her life forever.

Kylin was traumatized. In all honesty, she needed help but would have none of it. Blocking it all out was the only way to cope with everything which meant no one was successful at convincing her how unhealthy it was to hold it all in.

After a year and a half, someone dared asked the questions everyone else avoided.

As Kylin sat in the chair next to her patient, her first response to Ruthanne's question was to stop and take several deep breaths. It had been a long time since the subject was brought up in her presence and honestly, she wasn't prepared for it.