♡5♡ The Pastor's Son (BWWM)

(Back Then)
"RHYS ELIAS YATES"

"What in the world are you wearing?" Rose gasped as her cousin met her outside their shared apartment.

"This is my cutest dress." Ruthanne lifted her hands as if saying, what more do you want?

"I have just the dress for you."

"No way. I don't have the boobs to pull off one of your dresses, and I DO NOT, under any circumstances, wish to wear any of your clothes." The brunette stepped away from her cousin as in anticipation of getting her typical smack on the arm.

"What's wrong with my clothes?"

"You show way more skin than I'm comfortable showing. So the answer is NO."

The two young ladies headed out still chattering on about their likes and dislikes.

In no time at all, they finally made it to the party.

Where large groups of college students had gathered, Ruthanne immediately found a wall to lean against where she could take in the entire room. Her father taught her to never enter a room full of people and place her back to the door. Because her uncles worked in law enforcement, it wasn't uncommon to hear them discussing the importance of being aware of one's environment.

Scanning the room, Ruthanne saw people laughing as they engaged themselves in many different conversations. Rose found her latest crush and immediately transformed into the dainty southern belle instead of the raging diva most people knew her to be.

Ruthanne's eyes continued to roam across the room until they landed on a man who stuck out like a gigantic sore thumb. Since he was leaning up against a wall, much like herself, it wasn't out of place to call the giant a wallflower.

She observed his demeanor for some time as he nursed the bottle of Evian he held onto as if it was his life. The tension in his posture and the way his hands clasped the water bottle assured her that he was completely out of his comfort zone.

At five feet seven, Ruthanne considered that most of the men in the Neeley family were on average six feet tall. The party amateur was certainly taller than any of them by a good three, maybe five inches.

After attending parties with raging frat boys, it was nice to see someone she might have something in common with. After all, he had the appearance of a person who was dragged to a party by a cousin much like herself.

A brief back-n-forward tussle led her to a distance of within ten feet of him. She looked around to see that her cousin was surrounded by some of the most attractive men on campus. She knew it would be best to make a move before Rose caught on. For Ruthanne, it was now or never.

"Hello," She greeted him.

"Hello," he parroted.

"Are you an S.A.U. student?"

"Yes," he replied.

She wasn't sure if he was just brutally shy or not interested in talking. Ruthanne had no desire to look like she was desperate for attention, so she considered retreating.

"I... I'm Rhys."

Ruthanne was never a shy person when holding conversations in a group or with family and friends. But with a stranger, she suffered from indecisiveness. Not quite sure what to say next, she was shocked out of her thoughts the moment he spoke his name.

"I'm Ruthanne. Nice to meet you."

♡♡♡

(Back Then)
"RHYS & RUTHANNE"