Chapter Thirty-Two

~~Growing Pains~~

"So Feel Again is being released in two weeks, and as it's Aaliyah's debut album, we're throwing a party."

          Aaliyah couldn't help but slouch down in her seat a little, feeling a little less on edge now. Every time she had a meeting with these people, she always felt like someone was going to find a way to piss her off, and she was too exhausted to have to deal with that too, on top of everything else.

          Malcolm leaning his elbows on the table and interlocking his hands together looking down at the opened folder on the table under his chin. He looked back up at the table of board members and Moe from the marketing team and another older man beside him, with a greying beard and blue eyes with crows feet, "Now we've already got the Waldorf booked for that evening, caterers and a guest list has already been sent out, and we've booked two opening acts for Aaliyah, who's agreed. Many reporters and journalists have also RSVPed and we've ensured that we continue to generate enough buzz amongst the public. Any cuts that need to be made so that we stay within the budget will be addressed to the finance team and will in turn report to me. I will make the necessary cuts if there are any. Am I missing anything?" He said looking down at the folder between his arms.

A moment's silence passed and Aaliyah swore she could hear a pin drop or the even breaths of the board members. And then the man, Mr. Wilhelm, leaned forward like Malcolm clearing his throat. "As head of the marketing team, I think it would be wise to discuss censorship over particular topics when Miss Garcia is engaging with reporters," He started in a gravelly voice. Aaliyah tried not to roll her eyes, already knowing where this is going, "The media is still buzzing with the magazine cover mess from almost two months ago, and I'm sure that we can all agree that, that it may very well be a topic in many interviews with the reporters—"

"We've already ensured that the journalists reporting to media platforms that promote or attract more attention to the issue would be struck from the guest list, Arthur," Uriah said in a low voice looking over to him with a raised brow, "We know that Aaliyah cannot say anything condemning the magazine cover, and have made the necessary steps to minimize that risk. Aaliyah already knows that we face a lawsuit as consequence as well."

Aaliyah tried not to scowl, but when the adults in the room talked about her like she wasn't sitting right there with her, it was hard not to get annoyed, but still, she held her tongue. Moe made a noise and she raised her gaze from her hands in her lap to his. "Striking guests who take a more diverse and pro-black approach to their journalism does not help Aaliyah's image, sir," He said in a soft voice, though Aaliyah heard the firmness in it and she tried not to smile when she saw Uriah twitch, "They will know what you're trying to do, and they will use it to their advantage. Best thing we can do is to ensure that Aaliyah openly makes a statement in regards to the issue because a big reason why this hasn't died down is because of Aaliyah's lack of a response."

"She made a response the day the magazine cover was released." Uriah retorted.

Aaliyah snorted low under her breath. "And the public saw through what was clearly censored, Sir," Moe replied quickly, "She needs to make a statement addressing the issues that were sparked as a result of the cover, colorism, beauty standards, and intersectional feminism."

"I think these snowflakes are just like a dog with a bone," Paula grumbled causing the rest of the board members to snicker, making Moe flush; embarrassed or frustrated, Aaliyah couldn't tell.

Mr. Wilhelm with a smirk nodded slowly. "Regardless of personal opinions, they do hold a certain influence, especially over Aaliyah's fanbase demographic," He said, "Moe has a point. A genuine statement must be released."