Chapter 5: The SkyWing

Dad: before your mom was going to talk to that no-good, squid-headed-

Mom: Clay! Hold your horses! You need to CALM THE HECK DOWN! 

Dad: Sorry...

Mom: Take a deep breath...in...out

Dad: In...out...

Mom: That's right. 

Dad: Anyway...before your mom was going to talk to that no-good, squid-headed-

Mom: I thought you said you were okay?! 

Dad: I'm sorry! It's just that after what he did-

Mom: We didn't get to that part

Dad: Right. Anyway, while your mom was talking to her friends...

Clay's POV 

The day was going as normal, Clay teaches self-defence class and then goes to the Prey Center to get some food, you know, the usual. But during his day, he realised that Peril hadn't ran into him...at all. This scared him, usually Peril always bumps into him on his way to the Prey Center.   

So, when he didn't see her after school was over, he decided that he was going to check on her. Clay walked through the depressing hallways. Huh, Clay thought. Maybe we need to make this space look more cheery. Maybe that's probably why Peril didn't want to come out of her cave.

He turned left but as he was walking he felt the chill of somedragon watching him. Clay shrugged then continued to walk through the halls. When he reached the hallway where Peril slept at, he heard laughter. And it was coming from Peril's cave.

Curiously, Clay peaked his head into the sleeping cave. And to his surprise, the room was kind of decorated. The cave had a stone platform where Peril could sleep. And it had some moon globes around the room.

But what surprised Clay the most was that the beautiful SkyWing wasn't alone. She sat next to a very handsome SkyWing. He was muscular, tall, and he looked about the same age as Peril. For some strange reason, he felt this weird angry and sickening feeling.

It was almost as if he was feeling jealous...

But he shouldn't be jealous. He should be happy that his friend is making new friends. Even if that new friend is slowly but surely shifting toward Peril, he thought bitterly. What am I thinking?! I'm supposed to be happy that she has friends!

But I would appreciate it more if they stopped looking at each other like that, he thought sadly. As he was thinking that, the freakishly handsome SkyWing placed his wing around her. Maybe I can eavesdrop and hear what they are saying-not that I'm any good at it, Clay thought.

With that he leaned closer and placed his ear against the crack in the boulder.

"Thanks for helping me, Scorch. I know it wasn't easy for you to stop doing your work to make me feel better," Peril sighed. "It's just that my heart is still hurting." Clay heard a few quiet sobs. Why was Peril's heart hurting? Did someone say something to her?

"Hey," Scorch said, lifting Peril's head to face him. "I'm glad to help you get over that pompous-no-good-mean dragon," he replied, smiling.

Clay was confused. What was happening? Peril giggled at the insult but then sighed. "As much as I dislike him right now, he's still really important to me."

There was no response.

"I just hope I never have to see him kiss her again," she whispered. Then she shuddered then she started to quietly sob.

"Peril," Scorch whispered. "I will do anything to make you feel better."

"I just want him to love me," she cried.

"Maybe we could make him jealous," he suggested. "That always works."

"I was just going to ask you that," she smiled.

"Then it's settled then, we make him jealous."