Simon McCall

A/N:
Okay everyone, let's pretend I put this up on the 31th. I TRIED, I TRIED SO HARD.
Not really satisfied with the chapter, it feels not snappy enough- but hey, you guys like long chapters, right? Please say yes-
Also I will TRY and MAKE every of the next few summaries a piano piece. Bite me.
Or rather bite Henry. He's at fault for it.

Enjoy!

---

No day like today.
Phone Guy took another deep breath, moving about, trying to spot the Orange Guy in the crowd. It shouldn't be hard- after all he was the visual equivalent as a traffic sign that had come to life.
The spirit of a traffic light?
Well, never mind that.
There was no spirit inside that... thing... at all.
... a spirit maybe, but this body carried no soul inside.
Finally he saw him, he seemed to have developed a peculiar interest in a wall, letting his fingers move along it.
... so at least he was still as nutty as always.
You can do this, Si.
He imagined it with Mike's voice, though it wasn't REALLY convincing to him.
Jesus Christ, stop fidgeting Si, you can fucking do this, you're great.
... yeah, that sounded better.
Only one man was insane enough to call him great.
When he finally breached the distance, Simon already felt a little bit better about himself and ready to face his maker.
"... employee?"
"Hm?" Absent-minded, the being masquerading as Old Sport turned around. "Oh. What may I do for you? Done with the game, finally?"
"Uh- yeah." Nervously Phoney coughed, adjusting his collar. No, he wasn't a good liar, but... they WERE done with the game, right? "I think the others might be still at it, but uh- yeah."
It sounded so weird coming from his speaker, so absolutely unnatural.
His nerves were messing with him.
Back on track. "... I don't want to play along, y'know? It's too much. So, uh- how about we two pretend to be busy for a bit? With something important?"
"I heard you are an expert at that."
"E-excuse me?"
But the Orange Guy just laughed, putting an arm around the Phone-headed man, who instantly froze up. "I am merely jesting. I wanted to talk to you anyhow! I would love to spend some time with you."
There was a moment where Simon had to wrestle with his fight-or-flight-instinct and he was pretty sure that his former boss knew about that- but he managed.
He was better than this.
Finally Henry- there was no point in pretending, right?- realized there would be no further reaction of the guy and let go. "I wanted to talk with you a little anyhow... about your job."
"Eh?" What could HE want to know about that?
"How about we take a walk? I am sure it will be more relaxing out there than in here." Grabbing his wrist, the Orange Guy began walking way, pulling him slightly.
"But- if something goes wrong- if they want to speak the manager-"
"That is the thing. Why do you care? Do tell. You could leave."
"Wh-"
"Obviously, your job here is done." There was a pause as Henry kept moving. "You did quite the amazing job. You were the best of the best... and now that you did a favor for the factory, you could simply leave through the door-"
He opened it and with that they were already outside.
It was a rainy day, but warm.
"- and do whatever you want with your life?"
For a moment Simon felt a little dizzy. "I-"
"Do you know what you want to do with your life after this? Or is that the issue...?"
"Uh-" No, there wasn't anything he felt like he could say.
For a few seconds it stayed quiet as Henry's steps slowed down, making Simon catch up- at which point he was finally let go.
Shortly he looked behind himself, but they already had taken a turn, the restaurant wasn't to be seen anymore.
"If that is the issue, I could show you around a little. There are quite the nice places out here that you probably never have bothered looking into."
His empty eyes lingered on Simon, who couldn't help but admit that he felt weirdly vulnerable and exposed out here.
It was an open street, it was the middle of the day, people were around, albeit not right in view- it was unlikely that he would be stabbed. Even when being surprised a little, he still knew better than to go anywhere isolated with a maniac.
Yet despite that, it was as though the sky itself was staring down at him.
When was the last time he went out for anything not Freddy's related?
For fun?
Even with Mike he usually didn't stray too far from his home or the restaurant. Mainly to look at the stars.
Simon realized that he probably should say something. "Uh- I- guess? Let's not go too far."
"Where is the fun in that? You have gone too far already. Might as well wander a few more miles."
"Wh-what is THAT supposed to mean?"
"Nothing much. Just that you have changed quite a lot from back when. Do you not agree?"
"I don't... really think so?" Still unsure he walked along his possessed employee, who always seemed to be a few steps ahead of him. Somehow the manager feared that he would just jump in front of his feet, making them crash into each other-
"You do not? You certainly are no Scott anymore."
"That's true." Finally something they could agree on. Watching his step, he sneaked another peak at the Orange Guy who walked along, seemingly moving to an inaudible melody. "But I never was."
"Oh? I thought that was a thing they chipped you with."
"Yeah, but- uh-" He shook his head. "It never felt right. I think I always knew something was up with that. And I couldn't leave it alone."
"Being curious is no sin. But it always causes trouble... and trouble cause change. Something more to be curious about."
"What's- what do you really want from me?" Phone Guy mumbled, uncomfortable.
The area had turned livelier, they were walking towards the inner part of the town. Some people passed them as they walked, technically it should make him feel even more safe... but it didn't really.
He tried to check the signals his instincts gave him- to no avail. The worry came from somewhere, but he couldn't find the source for the life of him.
Being away from the restaurant- well, now he didn't have to worry about that anymore, right?
If what Henry said was true and he could simply leave, then anything that happened to the restaurant REALLY wasn't his issue anymore. Even though he had been willing to fight his way out if he needed to- those were good news, right?
"Nothing. I was simply curious about you and your plans. Do you want to take another Freddy's restaurant up, leading it to glory? Personally, I would recommend that. It is clearly where your talent lies. It would be best for you and Mike. A nice place for yourself, without us difficult employees... you can imagine it, right?"
The Phone man's voice turned harsh. "I would rather die than that. Thank you VERY much."
For a moment Henry gave him a glance, seemingly surprised- but his plastic smile quickly crept back onto his face.
"Most of us die one day, Simon. It is good to see you have come to accept that reality."
Wary Phoney stayed quiet, watching the other one distrustful.
Where was this going?
"... though I do have to admit, you saying this is quite the shock. I expected of you especially that you would like a world in which everything stays the same and no more deaths occur. Where there is no reason to fear the other day."
"... I don't think there's a way to make that happen. Not to mention, I- have someone waiting for me on the other side."
"If there is another side."
The words were so cold, that Simon's hair stood up.
"What do you mean?"
"I have seen a lot in my life, Simon. But no ghosts could tell me about an afterlife. No portals could show me anything else than a loveless void waiting. Energy is being consumed and translated. Into movement, light and noise. What if at the end, we go out quickly if not preserved? What reason would there be for an endless cycle?"
"Don't- no. No stop this right now. You won't be telling me this rubbish." Upset Simon shook his head.
"It is scary, is it not? People try to make it out like there is an afterlife and draw it in with colorful lines to make passing easier... but deep down we all know there is nothing. No proof. No reassurance. We are on the conveyor belt and we see in the distance something rapidly smashing down... and all we can hope is that it will not hurt too bad and that we will feel better afterwards. No getting off. No slowing down."
Henry said, growing slightly quieter.
"Do you know how many nights of sleep I lost over this? And now look at me. I am older than I was back then. A future in front of me that I cannot escape, a childhood behind me that I cannot rewrite."
"... so, uh- you wanna hear about good therapists in the area-"
Loudly the guy started laughing and these seemed to be something genuine to it.
"Oh lord. No, no, I will not need it. I was worried about you! How does it feel to have someone on the other side, who never bothered visiting you? What reasons could there be? Either you disappear when moving on one way or another, we get stuck, or he did not wish to speak to you..."
"... Old Sport." Phone Guy moved forward, stepping in front of him. "What is this about. What do you know? Better tell me, employee, because I'm getting mad."
"Huh. I thought your temper was a little better than that." Carefree he turned around, then pointed at a little café. "Let us sit down and have something nice! It will help you relax."
"I don't want to relax, employee! I want to know what you're ON about."
"I hope they have something with chocolate there. I seem to be craving it these days."
Simon almost was tempted to give away his own knowledge about the current situation, that the man before him was a liar- but he kept himself together and just followed him, sitting down outside.
The rain had turned from little to non-existent, but the sun wouldn't come out anytime soon.
People passed them, all with places to be.
Henry leaned back, seemingly satisfied.
"Anyhow. Would it have been better if your acquaintance from the other side would have stayed with us in form of one of our machines? Sure, he would not have looked the same, but that hardly matters, correct? Freddy's is about family... both real and found."
For another second Phone Guy was silent, thinking carefully about his next words.
"... no. It would have been terrible. He would have suffered."
"Are you sure? Wherever he is now, you cannot protect him there. What if Mike for example would befall a similar fate to him? Would you wish for him to be gone forever too?"
"It's not forever- and I don't think that SHOULD be my decision to make!"
Both of them shortly quieted down as the waiter approached, taking their order.
Reluctantly Simon picked some dessert he hardly could pronounce, while Henry asked for some chocolate cake, looking oddly giddy about it.
"If it were your decision and you were a loving god, what would it be?"
"NO! No MORE. I won't talk about this anymore!"
The Orange Guy raised an eyebrow at him, but then tilted his head, seemingly apologetic. "Why, I am sorry. I did not mean to upset you to this degree. I was simply thinking about these things recently. Someone has to make the decision, you see?"
"No." True to his word, Phone Guy didn't elaborate any further.
"... fair enough. So, once out of the restaurant... would you like a little restaurant of yourself? Small and hidden, like this one?"
It took a moment, but Phone Guy sighed, looking about.
It was... nice here.
But... "... I think I am done with any food service-related jobs..."
Pointing across the street, Henry signed at a flower shop. "What about that? Caring for nature, in peace and quiet, creating beautiful things to be gifted to loved ones?"
"Uh. I- I'm not sure. I don't really have a green thumb..." Phone Guy shook his head. "Why do you even care?"
"I think I should some appreciation to the best boss this restaurant chain had so far! Your self-esteem is horrible, dear. You can learn by trying out more."
"... if I leave the establishment, I think I want to- uh- travel. A lot."
"Old habits would die hard." Henry nodded. "And what would you want to do to keep yourself afloat? Code games and write books about your experience at Freddy's?"
There was a hint of teasing in the words, Simon ignored that. "Maybe."
"Ah, better than another 'oh no, I don't know how'. You are a fast learner. You must have been a teacher's favorite."
"Uh... no." Absent-minded Phoney responded, still considering the 'game' idea. Maybe under an alias... "I was always just very average."
"But you DO remember that?"
It was then Phone Guy realized the mistake he was making.
Did the guy come here to find out about his memories-?
"Uh."
Thankfully the arrival of their food saved him from answering on the spot.
Slightly weirded out he watched how Old Sport was digging into his cake as though it was the first time in his life that he ever got one.
Delighted his expression lit up after one bite, and quickly he took a few more. "Fantastic. Just what I wanted!"
Simon digged into his dessert too, that seemed to be some sort of ice cream inside of baked goods. It was pretty good, he had to admit that.
While eating, he inspected the Orange Guy who almost seemed like his usual self.
It flickered back up in his eyes, little flashes of life and light-
... maybe it really wasn't too late for him.
Phone Guy shook his head.
Yes, he was here to buy time. It actually was really convenient that the guy was trying to find out about such overall irrelevant details like his past.
If he managed to keep Henry going all day, then it would mean less pressure on the others.
"Y'know, uh- maybe after traveling around a little... maybe then I will want to settle down and find a nice relaxed job..."
"So you really would not want to stay out of free will?" It was gone again, the flickering, though his voice had stayed the same. "I suppose that is fair, but I promise you, your job would get a lot easier in the near future."
"... why's that?" He tried to sound as causal as the man before him, didn't feel as successful though.
Henry smiled. "Because we will polish this place."
As though it was the most natural thing in the world.
Obviously.
"You can't polish a- a y'know- a not-great product. You should know that."
"Quit with your condescending tone. I know what I am doing. Not to mention, can you not say Freddy's made you happy? Would you have been better off if you never were here? Imagine."
"I-"
"Everything gone. The restaurant never existed."
Simon shifted on his spot, thinking about it.
He would have his brother back, but-
Quickly he caught himself.
No.
"It's pointless to think about these things. Some things can't happen."
"Anything can happen at Freddy's, Simon. It is where fantasy and fun come to life..."
"Fantasy and fun and everything else rotten under the sun." Phoney shook his head. "... so, uh- you wanted to show me around, right?"
For a moment, the black eyes were lying on him thoughtfully, but like clockwork, a smile replaced any and all expressions, and Henry nodded. "Why yes."
He left money on the table and moved on, strolling down the streets with the Phone-headed man. Surprisingly enough, they attracted less attention than they probably should have.
Henry looked around, seemingly interested in everything and anything. It was at that point Simon realized how much of a liar this man really was.
It was weird how this minor detail was breaking it all apart- not everything he knew about this psychopathic monster, not the fact that he obviously knew more than he admitted to and flaunted it-
No, it was him walking about, looking around, all happy.
There was no way that Henry cared. There was no way this was what Henry wanted to do right now.
It felt like the whole world had been misaligned and only know the Phone-headed man realized it, getting dizzy at the sensation, as he tried to balance it out.
But what did he WANT?
What was this circus for?
Uncomfortable with the silence, Phone Guy coughed.
"... so... you really enjoy chocolate cake, huh? Chocolate in general?"
"I think I have grown a newfound appreciation of it, I must say."
"That... looked like more than just an appreciation."
"Oh. Well, possibly because I was excited to be eating food that I did not prepare myself for the first time."
It sounded casual, but it gave Simon pause.
"... uh. Not the going out type?"
"No, but usually I assume someone might try to poison me."
Again there was silence, as they walked along with each other.
"... isn't that, uh- a bit- extreme...?"
"I do not know. I was not willing to risk it."
Phone Guys never TALKED to Henry.
It just wasn't a thing that happened.
There were memories, fuzzy mumbles, instincts that had been engraved into the metal on his neck.
Henry wasn't a person.
There was nothing to know about him, only things to fear about him.
"... everywhere you went...?"
"Everywhere I went."
Deep breaths.
You're not in danger.
"... sounds like a- uh- miserable life." He coughed. "... if I can say that."
There was no response to this.
Just the sound of people talking in the distance, passing footsteps, a car driving somewhere... just white noise.
Finally, they took another turn, arriving in a more open area.
"You know, it is a shame... the more fun jobs are not easy to spot from the outside. That is why I encourage exploring. You plan to drive around, but what do you want to do? Have you ever tried to pretend to be someone else? To belong somewhere you did not? Have you ever played a role?"
"I- uh- I guess I played roles, but... I wasn't really an imposter ever. Doesn't sound fun."
"How would you know? If you never did it..."
"I'm not a good liar."
"You are an excellent liar. Bravo."
A small, dark smile playing around his lips.
Taken aback, Phone Guy snapped around to look at him.
Darkness filling him to the brim, spilling over and out of that mouth...
"... let us change the subject. I want to know more about your experience at Freddy's. If you really plan to leave..."
"Why are you so- uh- s-surprised about this?!" Irritated Phone Guy responded. "Do you know how close I was to DEATH all this time?! Th-the customers are AWFUL! I had to c-cover up HORRIBLE things!"
"Sure, but you would be surprised how similar other jobs will be. What was the worst thing you had to do?"
"TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO WITH THE DEAD-"
"SHHHHHHH!" Harshly Henry grabbed him. "We are in a public place, Phone Guy. Control yourself."
"W-what do you EXPECT?"
"Manners. We are in public. People do not want to know about your woes." His voice was scolding in a way that almost send Simon into hysterics. As if he was scolding a rude child trying to throw a tantrum.
"... god hecking mother Mary-" Roughly he shook his head, freeing himself from the grab. "... okay. Uh. Fine. This is FINE. Totally fine. Anyways. Guess what the worst part of my job was. With child corpses. Constant death threats. Supernatural going ons."
"Oh, it was not that bad, was it? There are people out there who would love to be in your place."
"I, uh- really hate to say this, but you're literally delusional."
"No, I am not." It was scary how serious he sounded. "Do you know what is out here?"
He opened his arms, gesturing at the store fronts and houses surrounding them.
No, Phone Guy couldn't imagine it. What was boring about a good, peaceful life?
"Do you know how dreadful the life out here is... every day the same happenings, every day the same pattern, restrictions, rules, cold, hard facts. One mistake will grow on you like a tumor, until you become an abhorrent creature, scarred and moved by patterns, not by will."
It sounded bad.
But he wouldn't just buy this.
"... at least I, uh- I don't have to deal with dead children, right?"
"You probably do. Eventually. Someone being run over. Shootings. Parental abuse. Accident. Foolishness. People die all the time. And what will you do? Nothing. That is what you will do when you are out here. You will hear something terrible happened. Here. Down the street. A state over. In this country. On another continent. You will turn on the news and terrible things will be happening. And everyone around you is not doing anything, apathetic. And you will not be doing anything, frozen in place. Fearful. Tired. Until you finally grow apathetic too."
Shuddering Simon wanted to shoo the mental image away. This was getting too much. "I'm- I'm not- well even if, I'm-"
Why was it so hard to find the right words now?
"It's not like- I- it's the EXACT same in the damn restaurant!"
"Is it?"
"YES." Stepping away from the other man, Phoney tried to calm his breath and quiet down again, as people now finally were looking over. "You're NOT turning this around on me."
"I am not trying to."
"In that case you are awful at not doing it. Is 'being manipulative' running through your veins?"
Not his smartest decision to provoke the man, no, but his nerves were ruined.
Why was he so easily to mess with right now?
Somehow though it managed to make the other man react, gritting his teeth.
"... perhaps so. Or perhaps you should grow a thicker skin." His tone was low and venomous. "... all I wanted to do was something nice. Take you out, put our difference aside for a bit. Why are you so stubborn?"
"I'm not-"
"Not even only about this little hangout but in general! You say you do not want to stay, yet you seem to have not made your mind up to leave. What is it, Simon? Why are you hesitating? Can you even tell me? I am trying, and you have nothing to lament, yet somehow it seems you are not satisfied what I have to offer you. Will you ever be?"
Both of them looked at each other for a moment, stopped in place.
It seemed to become a pattern.
"... I want to uh- go back now. Thank you."
Phoney's voice was as quiet as it was damming.
"... so you have nothing to tell me. No tips on how I can help you relax in my presence."
"Some things can't be moved past. Maybe you should realize that with your- weird big ideas. You used to not care, Old Sport. What is it?"
"... well, you did use to not care either. We are not all that different."
"Do you really think that?"
"As long as you do not give me a sensible reason to change my mind, yes."
Phone Guy looked into that man's face, seeing an expression of someone who truly believed they were wronged.
Was this part of the play?
Was this genuine?
If it was genuine, then that was even worse.
"... employee, I want to go back."
"Yet you are standing here with me." Old Sport sighed and looked to the side, obviously still frustrated. "... alright. Let us go. Though one last thing. Do you feel bad because you are with me or because you are away from the restaurant?"
Taken aback Simon frowned.
"Uh- what?"
"Please answer the question." With the calmness of the average doctor talking to a terminally ill patient, the Orange Guy insisted.
"I-" For a moment he thought about it. Of course, in the first moment he wanted to say 'you'. Because frankly, Henry made him anxious. This man was unpredictable.
But there was an itch that was different from the dread he felt from Henry.
Worry?
For the restaurant?
About being out here, where he didn't belong?
... didn't belong.
He felt slightly sick.
"... I'm uh- not used to being out yet. And this has been plenty. Thanks for taking me out."
"It was my pleasure." With that Henry gave him a sign to follow, moving forward. "Let us go down this road, it should lead us back the other way around."
Following along, but with a bit of distance, Simon watched the back of Old Sport's head, noting that the light already was a little bit dimmer- dim enough that he could probably claim that it was late already and they needed to shut off the restaurant early.
Or he could try and lead him around a little bit longer- as little as he wanted to spend more time with him.
"Actually-"
"Hm?" Stopping right away, as though he had been waited for Simon to speak up, Henry stopped to turn around, instantly causing the other man to question himself again- but he prevailed.
No.
No, he would do this.
"... I would like to, uh- to go to the old Freddy's location. The one that burnt down?"
"Are you sure? That one is pretty far away... not to mention, rather isolated."
The implications were clear.
"Yes. I, uh- I would like to go there. Unless you don't...?"
"I would not mind going back there. It is quite a good idea!" There was the smile again, and while it still didn't feel believable, Simon preferred it over the spiteful look his eyes took on when he wasn't smiling at any given point. "Indeed, I would like to see the place myself. I wonder if it changed."
Most restaurants are left to rot. Nobody really bothered.
Nobody really WANTED to be around these places to clean up.
They made their way towards the place, each carrying their own thoughtful silence.
Buildings passed, people passed.
Wind picked up.
The sky stayed grey however.
"Simon?"
The Orange Guy asked, sounding... far away.
"Uh. Yes?"
"Do you have any good memories connected to the restaurant?"
"I- uh." For a moment he paused, considering what he could say and if he should even say it. It was better than silence though, so he coughed and started up slow. "Well... I... there was that one time me and Mike played... dress-up, more or less. That was... really stupid."
"Stupid?"
"... fun. And... there was whenever Jeremy started singing while cleaning up. When Dave tried to recreate the entirety of Macbeth with only a single broom as a prop but started to make up the story halfway through, because he forgot. Christmas. New Year. When we first arrived at the new place and Mike had a bad breakdown and we stuck together afterwards so he would feel a little safer."
Memories.
A lot of them.
Weirdly fuzzy around the edges.
"Makeshift costumes for performances. Catching Old Sp- you- take a break, sleeping in an unused room and moving everything in the room slightly to the left so you would be absolutely confused and stumble into EVERYTHING."
It wouldn't ever make up for the murder and the terror- but he couldn't deny Freddy's gave him little glimpses and bits of truly golden moments.
Golden.
Why was he thinking of-
"There we are." Henry said, satisfied, breaking him out of his trail of thoughts.
Despite what should have happened, the building was indeed still there, open and burnt out, abandoned.
Some sad, misplaced tape fluttered around the doorframe, telling anyone coming near to keep out- but it was as easy to overlook the tape as it was to pass on accident.
It was fascinating. Somehow Simon had expected to feel... something, seeing the place he had such important memories of- yet there was nothing.
No sentiments surging inside of him, the nostalgia that he had for his memories was completely disconnected from the place itself.
Perhaps because it looked so different now.
Shortly he glanced over at Henry, who turned his head a moment after as well, their eyes meeting in a second of shared understanding.
Then Phone Guy ventured forward, stepping onto the blackened stones and past the useless tape.
It looked even more destroyed than back after the fire first had ravaged the place.
Maybe because it was so... abandoned. It didn't even feel lonely like some other old locations... no it was... empty. Nothing.
Quickly he turned, seeing the Orange Guy still standing outside of the walls.
"Uh- do you want to come in?"
"... and risk you attacking me?"
Baffled Simon froze, then slowly shook his head. "Why, uh- why would I do that."
"Why would you not?"
This was ridiculous, especially since the Orange Guy CLEARLY was the more dangerous in this situation- so why be scared?
"I... I won't."
After a moment of consideration, Henry moved in, keeping his distance, looking around as well.
There wasn't a reaction from him either.
"Uh- weird, huh?"
"What exactly?"
"How it's... like it's not even the same place."
"Why, that is because it is not."
It was said nonchalantly, as though this was obvious.
"Uh. Excuse me?"
There was a quiet laugh. "Oh. I should probably elaborate on that. If you care for it...?"
Praying that it wasn't something morbid, Simon nodded.
"Good. Have you ever heard of the special ability of water molecules?"
"... no? Uh- what has that to do with-"
"They say water molecules create cluster due to their effect on each other. If another element is introduced into the water, the cluster builds itself around them, adding it, shaping the cluster... now if the new element is removed again, the cluster still remains unaltered, being effectively the same as with the element. Some traits remain with the water. Well, in theory, they are still looking into that. Metal is quite similar for the right type of energy."
"Okay, I, uh- I think I get it."
"Does that mean I should stop?"
"... uhm." Well- he didn't actually get it. "... I guess no. Please, uh- finish your thought."
"The metal from the pipes and inside of the walls, it- if I may use more flowery language- resonates and synchs up, causing a reflective experience for the people within the area, adding their experience to the cluster and reflecting it back. Due to the destruction of the place, this "cluster" structure has disappeared, thus making the simple experience of standing here is already fundamentally different."
"So- uh- the walls were like..."
"Like a soul. Like a friend. There are some more places that can pull this off, surprisingly enough, but you need to maintain positive emotions- otherwise, of course, the effect will be opposite and you will be filled with discomfort, despite having no personal experience with the place and no reason to feel said discomfort."
"Huh." Phone Guy looked around, watching the place now a little differently. He supposed he had made some experience with that- a few things made sense. "How... extreme can that get?"
Henry smiled. "... of course, a cluster could never replace the real thing. But that is no problem for us, is it now?"
"That sounds... pretty bad. Really, how much can it, uh- mess with you?"
Playing shocked, the Pink Guy in the Orange Body titled his head.
"What? "Mess with you"? Whatever do you mean by that? There is no foul play going on. It simply appeals to your instincts and memories. Helps you feeling like home. Infecting you with a positive attitude. Aids you in relaxing and bonding with the place. None of that is in any way "messing" with the human."
"We, uh- we might have different definitions then."
"That may be."
For a little they roamed the building, looking at the molten and bend metal pieces, broken furniture and everything else that somehow had survived the fire.
The ash had long been washed away, the ceiling had given in after all.
What the people didn't care to do, the rain didn't mind doing.
Hell, there was some healthy moss and other plant growing up the walls, trying to get near the sunlight.
Phoney got slightly lost in his memories of the fire.
God, how did it get so destructive?
Sure, it had been- fueled- but this was... a lot.
Huh.
Before the fire, Old Sport acted weirdly too.
After the fire he was fine again.
Maybe- maybe it could work again?
But he didn't get burnt, did he?
Probably just had to deal with a bit of smoke.
...
Eventually, the light from the sky lessened and lessened, the evening was approaching.
"We, uh- we should go back."
"I agree."
Their way back was even quieter than their way to the old restaurant, but at least it was a little bit more relaxed.
At least until they were going down the last road, the glow of the giant place being visible even from back there.
"Simon. I would like to tell you something."
"... uh. Sure. What is it?"
What could be the worst that he could be telling him right now?
"I know you do not want to stay. You have no real fondness of Freddy's. I can understand that. I will buy you and Mike a train ticket, far away to here. Maybe to Alaska. It is beautiful and peaceful there. You are done here, you did your work, you do not want to stay."
"I'm-"
"You are not sure, I understand, but if you stay for too long, you will be caught up again." Henry had stopped walking, looking at him calmly. "This is your window to escape. There is no legal way to allow a Phone Guy to quit. They are not looking your way to allow you to flee, because you deserve it. But if you wait too long, they WILL assign you another place. So I am going to help you. I-"
"No."
The words were quiet, but didn't leave any room for doubt.
"Excuse me?"
"I said no."
Impatient the former boss shook his head. "Did you hear what I just said? If you stay, you risk everything. Your peaceful future with Mike. Your freedom. Your choices. You will never be able to create anything and continue to be a puppet for the factory. You do not want that, right? So why would you choose against this? It is what is best for you."
Slowly Simon turned and stepped in front of the other man.
There was nobody on the streets this late in the evening.
The lamps in the back had just flared up.
"... you know, employee... a while ago, you would have gotten me with that. Because I'm- uh- how do I put it... I'm not a hero. Yeah, I, uh- I think I can say it like that, we can agree on that. I'm not a hero. I'm not a world-changer. I'm not the kind of guy anyone should look up to. I'm not an example. I'm- just someone who goes the easiest way, the best documented way."
He took a breath, but didn't allow his companion to get a word in.
"I'm still not that, uh- that kind of guy. I don't believe in a better tomorrow. People are- like they are. Pretty bad. Full of problems. I'm full of problems that I didn't think were worth dealing with, because I mean- you will always mess up again, right? And you're just one person in a sea of people. What difference does it make when you get better? Nothing will change, no one will care."
He shook his head.
"Even now I'm not sure if I, uh- if anything I did really made a difference. If anything would have changed if someone else was here instead of me. It might even be better. But you know what the thing is?"
Staring at Henry he seemed to wait for a reply, but none came. The other man's eyes were widened, wandering over his phone-face, his teeth slightly showing in something that wasn't a smile, but couldn't be described as anything else.
Finally he continued, turning a bit away, not feeling comfortable looking into Henry's face like this.
"I've... realized. I'm not going to run away, employee. I'm not leaving this unfinished. Because I believe there's a way to- finish this. To smoothly get Dave dealt with. This place dealt with. The animatronics dealt with. I don't know really what way that is. But I know I want to be the one doing it. Y'know- Mike goes out there every day, knowing that he will probably do something that gets him into trouble. But he still goes OUT there. And changed something. At least for me. And maybe that's all it takes?"
At last he balled his hands into fists, getting out this last part.
"Maybe I could go to Alaska, or uh- wherever. Without consequences. Without ever hearing from here again, but- could I really? Is there a thing like... no consequences? If I sweep this under the rug, what will come crawling back out? Who will stumble? What mold will grow down there? Employee... I am not leaving. Not running away. This is MY pizzeria too. It belongs to me. Not the other way around. These employees are also MY employees. These robots are partially MY robots. I'm done with pushing everything away and just accepting that things will be always awful. I'm not that person anymore."
There was a second of tension, before Henry blurted out.
"What happened?!"
"Time. Time and the fact that I don't need to be what I was created to be."
With that Phone Guy turned around and left, no longer waiting for Henry to move first.
There was silence for a few second, then suddenly Simon was grabbed harshly and pulled back, a cold blade on his neck.
The lamps flickered, but there was no noise.
"Phone Guy."
Despite the violent act, Henry sounded even calmer than before.
"I would like you to know something too. You see, I was carrying this blade all day. Everywhere we went. I had it readily available. And I did not use it against you. I think our problem here is that you think I have plans to harm you. To trick you. To in some way cheat you out of something, give you a sort of drawback. You are sorely mistaken, old friend. You are smarter than Scott, more independent than Scott. I admire you for that. Indeed, you hear me right- I admire you and I think you are what every Phone Guy should strive to be. The best of the best. That is why I wish no harm on you. Why I want you to have a happy ending. Even now."
The blade moved away, the taller man was let go.
When he turned to look at Henry, still shaking, the guy already had caused the weapon to vanish to wherever he pulled it from. Now he was just dusting himself off.
"I am trying to do the right thing, Simon. Even still. You may disagree with me, but that will be your own undoing and I want you to remember- given the chance to harm you, I actively chose against it. Because I am not the kind of person you think I am."
Suddenly there was another noise.
Footsteps, rushing towards them, coming around the corner-
Mike stood there, eyes wide and dark, with little white dots.
Or maybe not.
Maybe they just imagined that.
Mike's eyes were fine.
Normal.
He was slightly out of breath, looking between them.
Nobody really knew what to say, until Mike relaxed a little, stepping up slowly.
"It's fucking late. Where were you?"
"At the old restaurant. Reminiscing." Instantly Henry was all smiles again. "What are you doing out here? Is it not a little dangerous to only leave Dave and Jeremy to guard the place?"
Mike scoffed. "Yeah, whatever. I worried about you guys more. I thought something- bad might have happened."
"It did not. As you can see, we had a wonderful day."
While he couldn't REALLY call the day wonderful like the Pink Guy did, Simon just nodded.
Everything is okay, Mike.
Mike's eyes wandered over the man he used to know as 'Old Sport' and he crossed his arms.
"Having a fun fucking day, huh? While leaving us to work shitty jobs. Fuck you. Tomorrow I want to go waltzing around with you, Old Sport. See how our boss here will like it to be two people short."
Delighted Henry clapped his hands. "Why, that sounds like a wonderful idea. Anything specific you would prefer doing?"
"We'll figure something out." Mike shook his head, then gave them a sign with the head to follow. "You still have the keys, boss. We need to lock up for the night."
"Uh- right. Yes."
Once they entered, Simon felt a weird wave of relief flooding him, before stopping and frowning.
Was that the weird- soul-cluster? Was that why he felt like this? Like he was finally back somewhere safe?
... maybe he shouldn't think too much about it. It was pretty uncomfortable.
Looking up, he just caught a glance of Henry moving towards a door, before being caught by the sheepishly grinning Dave who gave him a hug-
But a short one, as though he was touching something on fire.
Nothing Simon could do to help him.
"Did you get anywhere with the plan?" He mumbled towards Mike, who had shortly taken his hand and silently intertwined their fingers with each other.
"... not really. Trapping him in the suit might really be out best bet. But what if he can still move while in there? We would be back at square one. And Jeremy would refuse us dunking him in acid for a slow and painful death. It needs to be quick."
"Well, uh-" Pressing the hand he was holding, Simon coughed. "I might have an idea? But just- might. Y'know?"
"Jesus CHRIST Si, just SAY it!"
"Uh- yeah. Okay, so- remember when we burned the old place down?"
"Yeah?"
"And- Old Sport acted weird back then, right?"
"Oh. OH! But how-"
"I think it was the smoke. Maybe. Uh-"
Giving his partner an excited headbutt, Mike grinned. "Well, that's a fucking start! Talk to Dave about that tomorrow, and then get going if he says he could work!"
"Maybe I should-" Trying to break away, Phone Guy looked about, trying to spot where Dave had gone now- but he was pulled back roughly.
"No. No you fucking shouldn't. You're done for today, okay? No more. Stop thinking about the shit situation, or you'll get sick or something. I don't fucking know. Don't risk it."
And as though those words freed Simon from a curse, he felt all the weight fall from his shoulder and he got a bit smaller, sighing.
"You're... right. Thanks, Mike."
With an unusual warmth coloring his tone, Mike leaned into him.
"Tomorrow is another day."

---

A/N:
Essays are eating me, my own high expectations are eating me-
I was so tempted to do a title drop of "Phone Guy's Pizzaria" here- and did a few other references and info-dumping.
I hope it wasn't too much?
Anyways, thanks for reading and if you have any feedback, I would be lucky to get it!
Until next time!