Flashback: (abuse)

A knock on the door pulls me from my sleep. I was the only one home. My dad was gonna be researching all night somewhere and my brother was at Pope's place for the night.

I wrap a blanket around me before heading to the front door. I peek out, seeing JJ hunched in front of my house. We'd been together for only about a month.

It was cold outside and rainy. I open the door immediately.

"JJ?" I ask confused.

He looks up at me. A large bruise was forming on his jaw and another on his cheekbone. He was soaking  wet and visibly shivering. A concerned look immediately crosses my face. I reach out to him, pulling him inside. I wrap him in the blanket that was around my shoulders.

"What are you doing here? Did you walk?"

"I ran." He says simply. "My dad was wasted and I needed somewhere safe."

"That's here?" I ask.

"It's you, you're my safe place." My heart immediately melted. He is the sweetest guy I'd ever encountered. I reach out to him, wrapping him in a hug.

"Let me get you dry clothes. Why don't you hop in the shower to warm up? I'll bring you the clothes."

He nods before heading into the bathroom. I go into my brother's room and pull out a pair of sweats. I bring them into the bathroom, setting them on the counter.

I grab an ice pack from the freezer and wrap it in a towel. I also grab a bottle of ibuprofen and a bottle of water. I head back to my room, setting everything on the table next to my bed. I crawl into my bed, waiting for JJ to come into my room.

I hear JJ walk into my room 15 minutes later. I had begun to fall back asleep. I pick my head up, looking at him.

"It's okay, you can sleep." He whispers leaning down to kiss me on the forehead.

"Let me take care of you." I say sitting up. JJ crawls into my bed, leaning against the wall. I hand him a couple pills and the bottle of water. He takes them as I lean back to grab the ice.

I move so I'm straddling JJ so I could reach his face better. I hold the ice against his bruises. I feel his eyes gazing into mine. I look at his.

"Why me?" He asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"You could have any guy, Kat. So why did you choose me?"

"Because you're amazing, J. You're caring, and smart, and so funny. You always put the Pogues first and I know you'd do anything for us. I've loved you for a long time."

"I'll always put you first." He responds.

"I know."

He leans in to kiss me, separating my lips with his. He places his hands on the small of my back, pulling me closer to him. I lean against his chest, resting my head. I listen to his heart beat as he rubbed circles into my back.

Eventually he laid me down and lies next to me, pulling me against him.