Ch 35

John B pulls my car into the parking lot of the police station

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" JJ asks.

"Somebody's gotta tell them what happened." John B explains.

Pope coughs dramatically in the seat behind of me.

"Woah, easy there, chief." JJ warns. He turns to John B. "All right. I'm gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there in purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

"Your dad is abusive." I speak up. "And a pathological liar."

"I agree with JJ." Pope says. "Fuck the police."

"You goin' to the dark side now?" Kie questions.

"When's the last time police ever helped us?" Pope challenges.

"He has a pretty good point." I bring up.

"Peterkin looked out for Kat and I, all right? Tried to, at least. They need to know."

I nod at him, encouraging him to go. He climbs out of the car and goes into the building. A couple minutes later the door flies open as my brother runs out.

"Kie! Start the car!" He yells. He frantically opens the door to the car and climbs in.

"What? John B?" Kie says confused. "What did you do?

"Cops!" John B yells.

"Shit, go!"

"Kat, drive!" Kie shouts.

A cop runs up behind the car.

"I'm going! I'm sorry!" I yell.

"Go, Kie, go! John B rushes.

The cop bangs on the car. "Stop the car! Right now!

"What did you do!" Kie yells again.

"Open it." Pope motions to the car door.

John B opens the door, smacking the cop. The cop stumbles and falls to the ground. We pant as we drive away. An anxious feeling hangs in the air.

~~~

"Good news for residents of Outer Banks, Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area should be functional within 24 hours."

A cop car whizzes in front of the car, interrupting our peaceful break. A second follows, seconds after. JJ sits up quickly, watching them fly by. I place a hand on his shoulder, getting him to relax again.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from-" Kie clicks the radio off.