Ch 36

I wake up on a booth bench at the Wreck

I wake up on a booth bench at the Wreck. After last night's rendezvous with Sarah, we went to the wreck to crash. Today we were going to pack supplies for the Phantom.

I shift, stretching out my tired muscle as I sit up. I groan lightly from the tightness in my body. I spot JJ standing at the door. I walk up to him, adjusting my clothing that had shifted from sleep. I wrap my arms around him from behind, laying my head on his back.

"Hi, baby." He says moving me to his front, wrapping his arms around me. I nuzzle into his chest, still sleepy. He presses a soft kiss to the top of my head.

We stay like that for several minutes before Pope walks up behind us.

"He's pinched for sure, man." JJ says to him.

"There's still sirens." I say looking up at him.

"Kat's right. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him." Pope agrees.

"Let's hope." JJ says.

"You know, we were in that car." Kie says walking toward us. I didn't know she was awake. "They're probably looking for us, too."

Pope looks back at JJ and I. "Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B."

"So, find him before they do?" JJ asks.

Pope moves over to a bag, grabbing keys. He begins to walk toward the front door.

"Pope?"

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat." He says

"Hey, you be careful." Kie advises softly. "Okay?"

Pope turns to look at me. "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

"Yes, sir." I say as he leaves.

Kie follows him out the door, clearly annoyed with him. JJ moves to follow her but I stop him, giving the two space. "We shouldn't." I say.

He looks down at me. He takes his hat off before putting it on my head. I reach up to fix it but JJ cups my cheeks before leaning down to kiss me. His lips slowly separate mine. He flicks his tongue across my bottom lip. My hands move to grip his t shirt, pulling him closer to me. I hum against his lips, he tasted good. I felt like we hadn't had a moment together since this all started.

"What was that for?" I giggle lightly as I look up at him.

"Just wanted to kiss my girlfriend. And you look beautiful as always."

"Ew, no. I just woke up. I probably have stinky breath too."

"I don't care." He leans in to kiss me again.

The kiss is interrupted when the sound of a helicopter erupts from above the restaurant. I walk outside to catch a look at the vehicle. JJ follows.

"Who the hell is that?" He asks.

"I don't know, but it's probably nothing good. We need to get started on stocking up for John B." I say walking back inside the building.

Kie leads us into the kitchen to get food for my brother. We start to grab food, putting together supplies. Kie starts to tell us about what had happened between her and Pope outside.

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asks.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation." Kie explains. She looks at the pile of food we had stocked up. "Is that gonna be enough food for them?"

"Yeah, it'll last a couple weeks." I answer her question.

"Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings." Kie says.

"Look, don't beat yourself up too much. He's completely changed his feels."

"I rejected JJ plenty of times before he gave up and kissed me."

"Kat, you literally liked me way before that. You didn't have anything to reject yet anyway."

"Whatever." I say with a smile.

We head outside to put stuff in the car.

"The past 24 hours have been like Jekyll and Hyde for him." JJ tells Kie.

"I hate to admit it, but I miss the old Pope." Kie announces. "At least I knew what to expect from him."

"Hey, old Pope is my best friend." I giggle.

Kiara's mom stops us before we can get in my car. "Where you been?"

"I'm fine, I slept here." Kie points up at the Wreck. I help JJ load the trunk of my car.

"Well, we were up half the night, scared to death, looking for you!" Kie's mom tells her. "We're you even gonna tell us?"

"Well, I'm telling you right now."

"Alright, what the hell are you three up to?" Miss. Anna demands.

"I'm sorry, Miss Anna. We gotta go." JJ speaks up.

"Sorry." I agree.

"No, I'm sorry. Absolutely not!" Kie's mom says. "Have you heard what's going on?"

"Mom, I'll explain later."

"Kat, get in the car." JJ whispers to me. I open the front door, sliding into the driver seat as Kie continues to argue with her mother. JJ climbs in next to me.

Kie opens the back door, getting in the car. "I'm sorry, Mom. I have to go!"

"These cops are armed, Kiara."

"Kat please start the car." Kie says quietly as her mom continues to yell.

"You need to stay here."

"I understand, I'll be careful." Kiara closes her door.

"Drive, babe." JJ mumbles.

I start to pull away and drive down the driveway as Anna yells at me to stop.

"Kat, please drive faster." Kie begs. I pull all the way out of the driveway and onto the road, heading to JJ's.