Flashback: first kiss

It was really late at night, well past midnight. Everyone was already asleep and my dad wasn't home like usual. I step outside, letting the fall breeze run through my hair. I walk out to the dock and sit at the end of it. I watch as the cool breeze ripples through the water.

Footsteps come from behind me, I turn around to find the cause. JJ walks down the dock with a blanket in his arms.

"Did I wake you?" I ask.

"No, no. I just noticed you were gone so I came to look for you." He hands me the blanket. "I thought you might want this."

I take it, thanking him. I pat the spot next to me on the dock. He sits next to me. I wrap a blanketed arm around him and lean against him.

"Why'd you come out here?" I ask curiously. "You could've just gone back to sleep."

"I don't know, once I noticed you were gone I felt the need to find you." A smile breaks out on my face. "What?" JJ asks.

"You're cute." I tell him.

He raises his eyebrows at me, surprised by my comment.

"Kat.."

"It's fine if you don't feel the same, okay?" I tell him. I meant it, I just wanted him to know there was someone who really cared about him. "I just thought you should know how I feel."

"Kat, I like you, a lot, alright? But.. I'm not good enough for you. I'm reckless and irresponsible and I do stupid shit. You deserve someone better, okay?" He scoots back over, making room between us. I felt my heart drop.

"There is no one better." I say quietly.

He looks at me, I could see his eyes searching my face. His face softens as he cups my cheek, leaning toward me. He slowly separates my lips with his. My hands move into his hair, pulling him toward me. JJ pulls me across his lap so I'm straddling him. His hands settle on my hips as I continue to kiss him.

I pull away so I can look at him. "It's always been you, you know?" He tells me.

I can't help but smile. I feel a slight brush creep onto my cheeks.

"JJ?"

"Hm?"

"I'm in love with you." I whisper.

"I'm in love with you too."

"We can't let JB find out."

"Yeah, no. He'll flip. We'll have to keep us a secret for now."

I nod, leaning back against him.