Ch 34

John B told us about the missing gold as we sat out on the dock

John B told us about the missing gold as we sat out on the dock. Apparently Rose had bought the house and Ward cleared out the gold and stole it.

"You sure he got all of it?" Kie double checks.

"Every bar." John B answers. He was laying down across the dock, with one leg thrown over the other. "The whole enchilada."

"God, that fucking dick." I say shaking my head. I look over at JJ. He was being oddly quiet. Not voicing his usual opinions.

John B grunts as he pulls his cast off his arm. He throws it across the dock. "Look, it's not like expected a happy ending or some shit."

"John B." Kie says.

"What?" He answers exasperated. "Kie, it's a hairline fracture. Who cares?"

"You should care. Your arms gonna be messed up for life."

"Ignoring it will make it worse." I agree.

"It's fine. See?" John B holds his arm up in the air and wiggles his fingers.

Footsteps sound from behind me, stomping down the dock. I turn to see Pope running down the dock.

"Guys!" He yells. "Guys. Oh, god. I ran all the way here." He pants heavily.

"You alright?" John B asks, glancing at him.

"How was the interview, Pope?" JJ asks.

"Don't ask. JB... Look, I'm sorry, dude. About everything. And Kat, last night, I was a dick. You are my best friend."

"It's fine." John B says slightly agitated.

"But- but I don't have a lot of time," Pope continues. "And I have information that is tactically relevant. So, before I had my interview, my dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms for Cameron's big plane. Because it was too heavy, it needed a longer landing strip to take off. So, I'm there in my interview, think omg to myself, 'Hm, why would Cameron need a longer airstrip to take off? What could be so heavy to weigh it down?'"

"Gold." JJ realizes.

"He's flying out the gold." I say.

"That's right." John B confirms.

"Exactly." Pope says. "Guys, this is our chance, but it leaves tonight, and we have to go."

"Guys, we can't give up now." Kie agrees.

"What's the plan, big man?" JJ asks my brother.

"We're gonna take that shit back." A smile spreads across JJ's face.

We laugh as we run down the dock to the car.

"Let's do this!" Pope yells.

"Come on, guys!" Kie shouts.