Ch 33

By the time I had calmed down after the surprising news, it had reached the evening

By the time I had calmed down after the surprising news, it had reached the evening. It was dark now and the air had cooled off as the sun went down.

The Pogue's and I sat around trying to figure out what to do about my brother's rage. We knew he wasn't in the right head space and was acting irrationally.

"We should go to Sarah's." I note. "If he's going to the Cameron's we need to stop him before he does anything stupid."

"That's a good idea." Kie agrees. "Let's go."

We all head out to the HMS Pogue. I drive the boat out to the back of Sarah's house. I cut the engine and just wait, looking at the house.

"What now? We just go to the front door and ask, 'Hey, have you seen John B?'" JJ questions.

"Look, he lives at Tannyhill now. It's plausible. Look, we can play dumb." Kie says.

"Play dumb?" JJ asks incredulously.

"It's pretty late." Pope points out.

"Look, I've never see John B like that. We should honestly be going to the cops." Kie says.

"The cop- yeah, and say what, Kie? We're worried about our friend because he's on a rampage because Ward killed Big John? Like, they're not gonna believe us!"

"Hey, I see Ward!" Pope says looking into their house with binoculars.

"Let me see!" Kie says grabbing the binoculars.

"Doesn't look dead to me. Let's go home." Pope says.

"Wait." JJ tells him.

"What?" Kie whips around looking at him.

"Uh, okay. Obviously, Mr. Cameron is fine, and even if John B was here, he isn't now, okay? Plus I have the biggest, most important moment of my life in six hours."

"P, are you serious?" I ask disappointed. "John B is in trouble right now, all right? He needs us."

"I'm in trouble. Guys, I haven't been home in three days. My dad's probably put all my shit on the street by now."

"Yeah, well we just found out our dad was murdered." I say angrily.

"I have to go to this interview."

"In a time of need, you're just gonna bail? You're just gonna walk away?" Kie asks frustrated.

"Okay, yo, guys, can we not do this right now?" JJ asks trying to get us to stop.

"Hey, I have a scholarship interview in the morning. I can't-"

"Oh my god, Pope. We fucking know, okay? We got that your stupid interview is more important than  us. What about my brother?"

"Why is it always about John B?" Pope asks with anger.

"Pope! You know, you fucking know we would be just like this for any of us."

"Oh, bullshit!" Pope yells.

"This is about friendship!" Kie shouts. "Look, this is about Pogues for life!" Kie was starting to get emotional.

"What about forensic pathology, huh?"

"Pope," I finally bring my voice down.

"Forensic pathology?" Kie asks incredulously.

"It's my life! Everything I've worked for."

"That's your priority?" I was yelling again.

"Stop with the moral high ground bullshit?" Pope yelled at Kie.

"Pope, come on." JJ tries.

"No."

"Excuse me?" Kie says hurt.

"No, no, she has no room to talk. Where were you when Big John went missing? You weren't there. You weren't there for John B, you weren't there for any of us. You remember your Kook year? Yeah, you forgot about us."

"Pope, that's enough!" I say. I didn't want Kie to get hurt too.

"No, you don't get to say anything either. You weren't even friends with us originally."

"What the hell are you talking about? I was there when my dad went missing!"

"Yeah, you became friends with us only two years ago. You were the lonely girl and John B was nice enough to invite his sad little sister to our friend group. You were nothing before us."

"Fuck off, Pope." Tears had started rolling down my cheeks. "You're supposed to be my best friend."

"No, Kat. You chose JJ over any of us, even your brother. You kept a major secret from us, you're a liar. We haven't been friends for awhile. You are a loner, Kat. A girl with no friends."

Next thing I know my hand is flying across his face. He pushes me away from him. I step toward him, pushing him back.

"Fuck you, Pope!" I push him again. "You're such a fucking asshole!" I sob as I push him. I was so angry and so hurt.

"Bitch."

"Pope, don't talk to her like that!" I feel arms wrapping around my waist, lifting me off the ground. JJ sets me down away from the others. I see Kie begin to go after Pope now.

"I'm not the one who forgot about us." Pope says lowly.

"Give me a break!"

"Come on!" Pope says angrily.

"Is that what you need a break?" Kie yells again.

"Yo, yo, yo cut it out, all right?" JJ pulls them apart. "If I'm the one mediating, we've hit rock bottom." He looks between them, then looks at Pope. "Bow, now. Kat, you're with me." He starts the engine. "Pope, I'll drop you off."

I sigh, looking out into the water.